[Balrog resource] Orcs torching the Anduin, Hog gets Dragons

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Ûvatha

[Balrog resource] Orcs torching the Anduin, Hog gets Dragons

Post by Ûvatha » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:11 am

Howdy folks, this is my first attempt at making a Balrog deck. Basically it involves torching the anduin vales and its surroundings with a 3 orc leaders company and later the hog himself goes out and rouses Scatha and smaug (Bairanax ?? )

Starting Company:

Bolg
Azog
Shagrat
2 Orders From The Great Demon

Characters in deck:

3x The Balrog
Gorbag
Uglúk
Lagduf
Doeth (Durthak)
2x Orc Tracker

Resources:

2x Maker’s Map
3x Smoke on the Wind
Tempest of Fire
Burning Rick, Cot, and Tree
High Helm
Sable Shield
Ancient Black Axe
Iron Shield of Old
Blackbole
Great Lord of the Goblin Gate
Stinker
Orcs of Moria

3x I’ll Report You
2x Out He Sprang
2x Dark Thrist
2x Ancient Secrets
2x Angband Revisited
2x Strangling Coils
Weight All Things to a Nicety
No More Nonsese

Key Sideboard Cards:

Orc Veteran
2x Crook Legged Orc
Voices of Malice
Heart of Dark Fire
People Diminished
Scatha Roused
Smaug Roused
Bairanax Roused
Prone to Violence

Play a Map (Eagles’ Eyrie, Thradiul’s Halls, Rhosgobel, Rivendel or Lorien), Tempest of Fire (Woodmen Town), one of the mayor items (Wellinghall, Thradiul’s Halls, Rivendel or Lorien) or Blackbole (Woodmen Town, Rhosgobel) and then torch the site.

Early in the game the Balrog and maybe a follower get get Stinker and the Orcs of Moria and then travel to the Under-Leas to get the Ancient Black Chesse and a Shield.
Near the end of the first deck cicle, once you have Strangling Coils in play, bring Scatha and Smaug (I wonder if I should use Bairanax instead since it’s nearer) from the sideboard as well as Heart of Dark fire for Scatha and send the Hog to influence them.

I have No More Nonsese in the deck because I would like to have Azog (with the Helm) influence Bolg or Shagrat, so I can create another small company (Gorbag or Uglúk and a 2 or 3 minder)

I’m open to suggestions and improvement.

Keep in mind that I only have 1 copy of the Balrog so I cannot get more Tempests of Fire, Maker's Maps and stuff like that ;)

MP Breakdown:

Characters: 10-11
Factions: 8-11
Allies: 4-6
Items: 6-10
Miscellaneous: 11-17

Total: 38- 45

Thanks in advance.

Ûvatha
Darth Troilo on G.A.B. White Mithril Team.

Ûvatha

Post by Ûvatha » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:37 pm

Anyone ??

So you think that I should inlcude some Bold Thrusts or Swift Strokes, maybe loose Doeth ??

Ûvatha

karmi

Post by karmi » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:11 am

You have only one resource (Blackbole) that is playable at a :B: near Anduin Vales so I would replace Burning Rick Cot and Tree with another Dark Tryst.

Move all characters with mind less than 4 from deck to SB, you can play them from there just as well and won't clog your hand.

miguel
General manager

Post by miguel » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:47 pm

karmi wrote:Move all characters with mind less than 4 from deck to SB, you can play them from there just as well and won't clog your hand.
This applies for the non-unique characters.

Ûvatha

Post by Ûvatha » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:31 pm

I didn't put them in the sideboard because I'm using the proposal rule for blancing the Balrog.

Yes, maybe I should take out Burning Rick, Cot, and Tree for another Dark Tryst.

I look forward to any comments and criticisms.

Ûvatha

Dirhaval

Post by Dirhaval » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:08 pm

Be aware that Out He Sprang does not give the Balrog free region movement; he is still restricted.  So no moving from Gondmaeglom to Irerock for the hog.  Since neither is an underdeeps surface site.  
Thought you wanted to know. I bet many people have been reading the text on that resource wrong for years...like me.

Dirhaval

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:44 am

You could use Caverns Unchoked on Wind-Deeps to "breach the hoard" of Scatha and then use Out He Sprang to move to whatever (Gold Hill?).

Heart of Dark Fire out of SB helps with the big worms.

But Im not sure whether its recommendable to travel Withered Heath without any canclers in deck...