[minion, ressource] Corsairs of Middle-earth

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Shapeshifter

[minion, ressource] Corsairs of Middle-earth

Post by Shapeshifter » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:28 pm

This one was originally created as a pure fun deck though it can be quite competitive.  It has some similarities with Bandobras Tooks´ Black Numenoreans Deck but my company of pirates uses Magic, burns down (like pirates usally do) and tries for the Water-dragon. If you want to feel even more like a pirate there is Seize Prisoners in the sideboard :wink:

starting characters
Tarcil "The Black" +Thrall Ring
Hador "Mad Dog"
"Cpt. Longbeard" Grimburgoth  +Open to the Summons
(Baduila, Golodhros, Elerina, Pon Opar,
Hendolen, Jerrek)

characters in deck
3x Ren
Leamon
Pon Opar
Herion
Dôgrib
Dorelas
Tros Hesnef

ressources
3x Dark Tryst
3x The Tormented Earth
2x We have Come to Kill
2x Veils of Shadow
Some Secret Art of Flame
Earcaraxe Roused
Southrons
Umbarean Corsairs
Smoke on the Wind
Secret Book
Black Mace
Mithril-coat
Broad-headed Spear
High Helm
Sable Shield
3x Weigh All Things to a Nicety
2x Voices of Malice
Black Rider
2x Threats
Crooked Promptings

some sideboard cards
Sudden Call
Creature of an Older World
Last Child of Ungoliant
Sojourn in Shadows
Black Númenóreans
Haradrim
Govern the Storms
Not Slay Needlessly
2x Tribute Garnered
Seize Prisoners

important hazards
Gandalf the White Rider
Radagast the Tamer
Saruman the Wise
Pallando the Soul-keeper

You usally want to sail in the area between Harondor and the The Stones. If you have Tros Hesnef or Dôgrib in your hand play one of them with WHCTK with the Grimurgoth and split your company. Hador and Tracil should then go for factions and maybe one or two major items. Pelargir and Dol Amroth are good sites to burn down after playing a major item. You could even use Edhellond and play a greater item before but be sure to have Veils of Shadow in your hand to make the auto attacks less dangerous. Ren helps all your companies with corruption. As soon as Ren is in Black Rider mode get Last Child and Sojourn in Shadows from the sideboard and use the Sojurn trick to play your only ally (it´s a bit unsafe, though, if you want a safer ally use Creature of an Older World instead - it´s even playable at Ren´s home site). The Tormented Earth (both Hador and the Grimburgoth can cast this one) is your canceler versus all kind of creatures without tapping a character and it even works against Maia. If you face a heavy elf/dwarf/maia deck you want to recycle this card or get Not Slay Needlessly from the sideboard, because you visit lots of free-holds and border-holds (maybe also ruins/lairs). Play the four maia hazards as permanent events to prevent your opponent from playing them (don´t use Alatar the Hunter because he will just strengthen your opponents maia creatures).

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:25 pm

I faced this deck at German Championships and lost 0 - 6 !!

Karsten played Ren before me and then did everything as described above. Stones, Edhellond, Isle of Ulond, Dol Amroth, Kankras Lair. Highly competitive and fun to play (i guess). Thanks for posting it.

One little risk in this deck: What if your opponent plays Ren?

By the way: Your Hazard deck worked very well, too...  :cry:

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:33 pm

One little risk in this deck: What if your opponent plays Ren?
Stick the Witch King and Indur in the sideboard.  Play the Witch King and have him play Indur as a follower at Shelob's Lair.  Indur takes the auto, and you get the ally.

Shapeshifter

Post by Shapeshifter » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:31 am

I actually had Dwar in the sideboard, because I like his ability to give +1 prowess to all your companies. The other big risk is your ally. Usually you get her in time from your sideboard into your play deck and because of the three Dark Trysts you cycle quite fast through your deck. If not...well, see what happend at German nationals.
@Bandobras Took:
To play Witch-king and then Indur at Shelob´s Lair is a nice combo but that would mean that you have to stay there one more turn to play your RW follower, or what was the final ruling on bringing in RW followers with WHCTK? On the other hand Ren is very important for your magic users: The Grimburgoth with a Black Mace casting The Tormented Earth would mean a CC at 7. Ren reduces it to 5.

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:27 am

Really interesting deck, man, congrats!

Only a couple of things:

If the Sojourn in Shadows trick consists on playing it vs the auto-attack at Shelob's Lair, avoiding Ren from being unassigned, then it is not legal :-/ There was a topic somewhere around here talking about that... Here you got the CRf entry anyway:
Automatic-attacks

The only resources you may play against automatic-attacks are ones that cancel the attack, cancel a strike, or would be otherwise playable during the strike sequence.
Unfortunately, the CRF says you can't play RW followers with We Have Come to Kill.
We Have Come to Kill
You must have enough influence to control the character to play this card.
@ We Have Come to Kill may be used to bring in agents, but not Ringwraiths or Fallen-wizards. [Van] %
[Original ICE entry: as above, minus 'or Fallen-wizards']
I will give this deck a try, being a pirate is one of the things I always wanted :D

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:54 am

If I recall correctly WHCtK can be used to being in RW followers.  That CRF entry actually refers to the playing of your avatar using WHCtK, hence the reason FW is also included.
Visit the Optional Rules forum and try out the community accepted Unofficial Errata.

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:36 pm

As it is in the CRF it says you can't bring Ringwraiths with it; of course, there can be a better source of info.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:35 pm

Manuel,

this is one of those debates that has raged on for eons without really coming to a satisfactory and clear conclusion. What is a Ringwraith Follower? - a Ringwraith or a Ringwraith Character?

The MELE rules are far from clear when it comes to answering this issue and clarifications have had to be made regarding their play.  They have a section in the rules detailing exceptions for playing Ringwraith Followers, but the general opinion is that they are Ringwraith Characters, and as such also obey the rules for playing characters first and foremost.  As WHCtK allows the playing of characters under DI or GI, this could encompass a Ringwraith Follower/Character as they're played under DI.  

This forum is littered with unresolved debates on this matter as demonstrated in this thread:
http://www.meccg.net/dforum/viewtopic.p ... l&start=30

:lol:
Visit the Optional Rules forum and try out the community accepted Unofficial Errata.

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:20 pm

hehehehe, well, I'm not one to discuss about rulings, and especially this one, I guess I was just enough innocent to believe in the CRF ;)

Actually I would extend all this stuff to the fact that this game has a lot of questions still unanswered... just look at the Rulings Digest, that's a horrible mess :-/

Corwin

Post by Corwin » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:11 am

I like this deck a lot, the theme and all. I'll try to give it a try.

Shapeshifter

Post by Shapeshifter » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:51 am

Thanks. If you give it a try I would be glad to hear how it went.

Corwin

Post by Corwin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:48 am

Alright, I've had the occasion to play with the deck a few times. I had to do a few modifications due to some cards I don't own (only one Threat, one Veils of Shadow). I don't have Sojourn in Shadow either, and as it seems like the combo is illegal anyway, I went for the simple Creature of an Older World. I don't think the changes I made were very significant, though.
So, first the deck is much fun, as I thought it would be. I like the theme very much and the things you play are nice and varied. It's a tough time playing Smoke on the Wind, because the characters are not very strong nor very numerous. Related to that, the main weakness of the deck is that a strong creature-oriented hazard strategy can stomp the company. Of course, The Tormented Earth is very useful, but it's not always enough. What makes life sustainable is some attacks are detainment, and the time you spend at sea is usually safe. Assassins are a bane. Before this deck I played with a two Lieutenants deck, so this is quite a change as far as raw power is concerned.
It has happened quite often too that I didn't have anything to play in my hand. Maybe it was bad luck.
The majority of the time, I really don't know what to do with the characters I have in hand. Usually, I play one character with the company and that's about it. I never tried to split the company. I don't always have a faction and an item to play at the same time, and I really didn't feel safe enough to do that (cf. what I said earlier) even with the reduced hazard limit. Sometimes I play a character with my Ringwraith for the MP.
Ren helps a lot with corruption, but it can be very nasty still. Indeed, there are many items in the deck and the spells are at -4, and even a corruption check at 5 (let's say a 3 CP item, +2 to the test with Ren and -4 from a spell) does always not feel safe.
It's great when the game ends and you have played two factions, a couple items, burned down something and made friend with Earcaraxë. You really feel like you've acomplished something. And I love dragon factions. I've yet to win with the deck, but I've had two very close game, like final scores 24 to 25, and they were a blast. If I can compete, it is also because the hazard strategy I play works well (although it is a corruption strategy that does not really goes well along with the deck, I just picked up one that was ready but I should use another).

Shapeshifter

Post by Shapeshifter » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:08 pm

Thanks for the comments.
It's a tough time playing Smoke on the Wind, because the characters are not very strong nor very numerous.
The Grimburgoth with a Spear or better with a Mace can usually stay untapped for Smoke on the Wind. Of course a small risk will remain. Where´s the fun without risks? :wink:
Related to that, the main weakness of the deck is that a strong creature-oriented hazard strategy can stomp the company. Of course, The Tormented Earth is very useful, but it's not always enough. What makes life sustainable is some attacks are detainment, and the time you spend at sea is usually safe. Assassins are a bane.
Absolutely true! Usually 3x Tormented Earth and 3x Weigh all Things to recycle them should be enough, though. Assassins are really nasty, but who plays them against minions?
It has happened quite often too that I didn't have anything to play in my hand.
If you move two companies every turn and remember you have three Dark Tryst, you should draw enough cards.
The majority of the time, I really don't know what to do with the characters I have in hand. Usually, I play one character with the company and that's about it. I never tried to split the company.
O.k. that´s a problem. Most characters are for backup. If no one gets killed you can´t play more than two. Tarcil with his ring and a High Helm might be good to control another character especially if all three factions have been influenced already.
let's say a 3 CP item, +2 to the test with Ren and -4 from a spell) does always not feel safe.
Sure, but it´s fun.
If I can compete, it is also because the hazard strategy I play works well.
A good hazard strategy is a must if you really want win against High-End-Decks. :D

Finally I must admit that I never ever could make use of the Secret Book. I suggest to exchange it with either another MP-card, maybe Regiment of Black Crows or a Not Slay Needlessly.

Corwin

Post by Corwin » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:29 am

That's funny you should say that. Before I played again last weekend, I decided the Secret Book was the card to drop (I had never played it either) and I replaced it with a second Crooked Promptings, I think, both to help get the dragon and against corruption. However, Tarcil being the only diplomat is a problem with that.