[Minion Resource vs. FW] Indur the Assassin

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Bandobras Took

[Minion Resource vs. FW] Indur the Assassin

Post by Bandobras Took » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:51 pm

I haven't tested this deck because I'm not much of a CvCC person, but it should be a swift kick in the pants for squatters.

Starting Company:
Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Lieutenant of Morgul

RWs:
2 x Indur the Ringwraith
Uvatha the Ringwraith

Resources:
3 x Indur Unleashed
3 x Veils of Shadow
3 x Weigh All Things to a Nicety
3 x Forced March
3 x The Ring Leaves Its Mark
3 x Morgul-blade
3 x Some Secret Art of Flame
3 x Motionless Among the Slain
Orcs of Dol Guldur
Morgul-orcs
Cave Troll
3 x Black Rider

Make sure to put some MP cards in the sideboard.

Most FW decks rely on somebody squatting at a Wizardhaven, playing MPs in relative safely.

With this deck, you simply head to the Wizardhaven, slice through dangerous auto-attacks, then use Indur Unleashed to make sure the Wizardhaven can't cancel CvCC.  Use Motionless to have the RW with the Morgul-Blade attack the squatting character no matter who's untapped.

Roll well.  Get some kill MPs.

Laugh at your opponent if he thought Radagast was safe at Rhosgobel with Shifter of Hues.

Do you get kill MPs for killing Avatars?

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:58 pm

I remember the chat on GCCG on this very idea.  As someone who likes CvCC, here are some thoughts:

Have 3 Indur in deck and Uvatha in sb, as this deck must get Indur asap.  Indur can always tap to sb in Uvatha.

Scrap 3 x Secret Art of Fire and 3 x Veils and replace with 3 Orc Captains and Aiglos and Dragon-helm.  RWs are in BR mode so Veils isn't going to impact too greatly and Scret Arty is versus an attack only so not applicable for attacking in CvCC.  Have Return to Lugburz on both Troll leaders (have Lt Angmar rather than Lt Morgul) and play Orc Captains with them (Angmar goes to Carn Dum first turn).  They can nip downstairs for the cheeze hero items Aiglos and Dragon-helm.

I imagine the plan is to camp at the wizardhaven, therefore, could try a few more RW in sb, and tap to bring them to discard pile when Indur comes into play. Could use Back to Fray to bring them all to playdeck and try They Ride Together.  If you can get the WK or another Shadow Magic RW into play, could try Malady too. This is ambitious though.

Not sure how necessary Ring Leaves its Mark is?  If the RWs are attacking squatters it most likely won't matter if you're tapped or not. Plus River shouldn't bother them.  Also Motionless can only be used when facing an attack and so won't be applicable for RWs attacking in CvCC.  Better to have some combat boosters (e.g. Bold Thrust or Swift Strokes) and another Cave Troll.  

Could even try using Black Horses for some added punch, as FW squatters are often relatively weak. Combat booster cards would also help BHs since they're warrior allies.  Not sure what happens if a BH dies whilst in the middle of CvCC though...

Hazards - Heedless for tapping out squatters, Lure of Senses, and some anti-coastal in case they make a break for it. :D

Lastly, make sure you don't go over 30/30.
Visit the Optional Rules forum and try out the community accepted Unofficial Errata.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:29 pm

Motionless Among the Slain R Short-event
Playable on an attack. You assign all strikes of the attack regardless of the attack's normal capabilities and character status. +1 to all body checks by your characters resulting from the attack.
You don't have to be facing an attack.  There just has to be one.  Since the defending company in CvCC is considered to be facing an attack, this card can be played.  At least, that's the way I understand it.

Thanks for the other suggestions, though.  As I said, I'm not much of CvCC person. :)

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:09 pm

Ah ha, interesting point with Motionless.  Indeed, it appears you are correct!  

You may also need a few VoM too, which Lt Guldur can play whilst squatting.  I'd also throw some Long Grevious Sieges into the sb for using with the orc factions. :D

As timely arrival of Indur Unleashed could be fairly critical to this deck working, you could try The Mouth Instead of Lt Angmar for extra cycling opportunity.
Visit the Optional Rules forum and try out the community accepted Unofficial Errata.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:58 pm

The main problem I see is that you won't know that you're facing a fw opponent in advance.  How does this deck do against normal heroes or One Ring or fallen alatar, etc.?

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:30 pm

Zarathustra wrote:The main problem I see is that you won't know that you're facing a fw opponent in advance.  How does this deck do against normal heroes or One Ring or fallen alatar, etc.?
Well, the most obvious response is, I don't have a clue.  I'm not much of a CvCC person. :)

A more in-depth approach, though would be to note that Hero decks are usually more mobile (no haven squatting) -- and an experienced player can tell what area they're working out of.  The key then is anticipating the area and the important characters.

Fallen Alatar is the least likely to use a haven squatter and the most likely to be prepared for CvCC, I'll grant.  But following Jambo's suggestions would give you a fairly good chance even against Alatar.  Against any FW deck, if you kill the Avatar, all the avatar-specific cards go with it, as I understand it.

As an ironic aside, Fallen Saruman may be the least Vulnerable to attack, as a RW player has to move to Geann-a-Lisch before getting to Isengard.

A coastal deck would definitely be safe from this deck. :)

As far as Hero Dunks go, there are two common stopping points -- Minas Morgul for the Scroll or Easterling Camp for the Card Draw.  The problem is that those have separate nearest Darkhavens -- you can't hit both from any one.

So, as I said in the title, it really is meant primarily vs. FW.

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:04 pm

Easier way (minion):
Go to your version of FW's wizardhaven, play Hold rebuild and repaired , discard Vile Fumes. Voila!
Does not work on free holds.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:42 am

Jaded wrote:Easier way (minion):
Go to your version of FW's wizardhaven, play Hold rebuild and repaired , discard Vile Fumes. Voila!
Does not work on free holds.
Thereby making Radagast and Gandalf pretty much immune.

A RW couldn't use the tech item, you'd have to bring it in with a non-RW company and then keep them at an :R: where, if the haven's protected, you can't play MP cards anyway.  You're not going to get kill MPs (no CvCC), which means you went through at least a two-turn effort in order to lose 1 MP on the possibility of at most wounding a Troll-Chief or FW with a strike of 7 prowess, which isn't too efficient.

A nice RW company, on the other hand, picking its targets and lowering their body, is a much funner and potentially more effective way of visiting an opposing wizardhaven.

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:00 am

Bandobras Took wrote:you went through at least a two-turn effort in order to lose 1 MP on the possibility of at most wounding a Troll-Chief or FW with a strike of 7 prowess, which isn't too efficient.
One characteg with high body is enaugh. Site loses it's haven status, so player cannot play a lot of cards there, characters may not heal. It is quite easy to make this AA dangerous.
Another point is: will the creatures keyed to this r&l be canceled?But this is another story...

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:15 am

Zarathustra wrote:The main problem I see is that you won't know that you're facing a fw opponent in advance.  How does this deck do against normal heroes or One Ring or fallen alatar, etc.?
Yeah, this isn't a deck for use in a competitive event because you can't choose a deck to be vs FW only.  On GCCG one could probably give this deck a run out though - mainly because you'll know your opponent is going to be a FW - what type of FW deck is another matter however... ;)

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:31 pm

Jaded wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:you went through at least a two-turn effort in order to lose 1 MP on the possibility of at most wounding a Troll-Chief or FW with a strike of 7 prowess, which isn't too efficient.
One characteg with high body is enaugh. Site loses it's haven status, so player cannot play a lot of cards there, characters may not heal. It is quite easy to make this AA dangerous.
Another point is: will the creatures keyed to this r&l be canceled?But this is another story...
But Radagast and Gandalf are still essentially immune.

And the defense, of course, would be a simple Rebuild+Mischief. :)

And the attacks at the site are still cancelled -- as an interesting side note, Vile Fumes says "Gas - each character faces 1 strike with 7 prowess (cannot be canceled)."  Is it the attack that can't be canceled or the strikes?  If it's the strikes, then the effect of Hidden Haven et al. would still work.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:51 pm

From what you've written, my guess is there is no attack with vile fumes.

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:55 pm

It says: "It's normal automatic attacks are replaced with:Gas - each character faces 1 strike with 7 prowess (cannot be canceled)."

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:44 pm

This might be another one to get clarified, come to think of it -- is it the attack or the strikes that can't be canceled?