BalrogOneRing

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Majagua_the_Necromancer

BalrogOneRing

Post by Majagua_the_Necromancer » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:17 am

Well I have never tested the deck (I just recently got my second Challenge the Power), but it´s a deck I´m thinking to try in the next regional in my hometown.  Here´s how it goes, feel free to make any comments on how to make the deck work better.

Starting Company:

Gangways over the Fire
Whispers of Rings
Umagaur
Doeth (Durthak)
Ufthak
Muzgash

[sideboard]
Magic Ring of Enigma
Magic Ring of Enigma
Magic Ring of Enigma
Ancient Secrets
Challenge the Power
Challenge the Power
Cloaked by Darkness
Darkness Wielded
Mine or No One's
Piercing All Shadows
Piercing All Shadows
Voices of Malice
Voices of Malice
Hill-troll
Crook-legged Orc
Crook-legged Orc
The One Ring*
The Roving Eye
Twilight*
The Precious
Alone and Unadvised
Power Built by Waiting
The Balance of Things

[resources]
A Little Gold Ring
A Little Gold Ring
Gold Ring that Sauron Fancies
Scroll of Isildur*
Crack in the Wall
Crack in the Wall
Crack in the Wall
Voices of Malice
Test of Fire
Test of Fire
All Thought Bent upon It
All Thought Bent upon It
Crept Along Cleverly
Crept Along Cleverly
Angband Revisited
Angband Revisited
Great Fissure
Great Fissure
Great Fissure
Great Shadow
Great Shadow
Great Troll
Test of Fire
Weigh All Things to a Nicety
Weigh All Things to a Nicety
Dark Tryst
Dark Tryst
Piercing All Shadows

[characters]
Buthrakaur
Hill-troll
The Balrog%
The Balrog%
The Balrog%
Mountain-maggot
Mountain-maggot
Radbug
Bolg

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:37 pm

I assume the Precious and the Balance of Things are in the sideboard in case your opponent is doing One Ring.  However, the Balance of Things can be really nasty if you have some untested Rings in your party.  You might be better off with just the Mine Or No One's and/or some other big influence card.

I'm unfamiliar with Balrog cards; but I'd recommend having some way to recycle the Tests of Fire.  If you've already got it, never mind the preceding sentence.

Majagua_the_Necromancer

Post by Majagua_the_Necromancer » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:44 am

Yes, the balance is only there if someone gets the One Ring.  As I said, the deck may need some modifications, now that I have never played it, and until I do that I won´t exactly no what flaws it may have.

|Highwayman|

Post by |Highwayman| » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:26 pm

hey
i've made a very similar deck and besides actually getting The One it worked really great

the basic idea was the same: make yourself tons of sages with Rings of Enigma, and of course no testing needed - just have Balrog in the company so the rings will be tested automatically at -2 (really big chance for getting the magic rings)

in my opinion you should consider this changes:
throw out All Thought Bent upon It - Balrog player can very quickly draw cards when he has Gangways in play so you don't need All Thought to get The One (plus you have Dark Trysts to help you in this)
i'd exchange Great Troll for Evil Things Lingering - yet another sage and a powerful fighting ally
i'd also exchange Crept Along Cleverly for A Nice Place to Hide
and you find the place put some Iron Shields of Old into the deck so you'll be able to move around more easily and have some protection against attack that get through your cancellers

oh and Darkness Wielded x3 in the sideboard is a must - the greatest canceller ever
and don't forget to have Khamul the Easterling in deck or sideboard - if your opponent is playing the Khamul Machine you can block him with your Khamul cuz nothing makes The One Ring deck more miserable than your opponent discarding your hand all the time

of course your biggest problem is still testing for The One - at best you get it at 9+ (with Scroll in Under-grottos) so good luck with that :)

Majagua_the_Necromancer

Post by Majagua_the_Necromancer » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:58 am

O.K., nice observations, I guess that although the age ally is far from where I consider playing, you can skip all attacks with crack in the wall, right? And by adding more items wouldn´t there be more cards that get in the way to get the basic items you need to get the one ring out?
Anyway, I´ll have to trade the deck soon to see what isn´t working.
Do you have, or does someone have any Darkness Weilded to Trade? I only have one... :cry:

|Highwayman|

Post by |Highwayman| » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:19 am

unfortunately i don't have any Darkness Wielded to trade (it had cost me much effort to get 3 of those for myself)
Crack in the Wall prevents any creature playing when you move in under-deeps so it works like a dream
after checking my deck more thoroughly it came out that i didn't use any A Nice Play to Hide in it so you were right that you didn't need them

the shields can be pretty handy, and give you something to do before you play Balrog and the rings

remember that you need to play Scroll at a 'greater item site' and if you plan sticking to under-deeps only you have only 2 options - Remains of Thangorodrim or Ancient Deep-hold

while Ancient Deep-hold can be closer it has nasty Auto-attacks that will cost you a lot of cancellers or could kill you (especially if your opponent will be playing undead hazards) and although Remains of Thangorodrim are quite far, getting there is no problem if you have at least 1 shield and Balrog (or/and The Under-roads - which by the way i think you should put at least into sideboard as they can counter The Way is Shut) - and if you're going to Remains of Thangorodrim for the Scroll you might just as well play Evil Things Lingering there too

Majagua_the_Necromancer

Post by Majagua_the_Necromancer » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:03 am

Well it´s a shame that you don´t have that card, thanks anyway.
I´ll play this weekend with the deck and see how it works.