[hero; vs hero] Hidden Hobbos in the middle of the storm

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

lucas

[hero; vs hero] Hidden Hobbos in the middle of the storm

Post by lucas » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:07 am

Hi people, this is my first post here. With this deck I was unbeaten in the last tournament in my country (though I didn't win 'cause I couldn't play all the games). Any suggestions are welcome!

Pool:
All the hobbits + cram + Horn of Anor

Starting:
1) Sam
2) Fatty (+cram)
3) Frodo (+Horn)
4) Robin Smallburrow

Characters:
- Pallando x2
- Gandalf
- Cirdan

Resources:
- Stealth x3
- Vanishment x3
- Halfling Stealth x2
- Halfling Strength x3
- Promptings of Wisdom x2
- Marvels Told x2
- Wormsbane
- Orcrist
- Emerald of the Mariner
- Necklace of Girion
- Palantir of Amon Sul
- Scroll of Isildur
- The Mithril Coat
- Elves of Lindon
- Iron Hill Dwarves
- Men of Dorwinion
- Easterlings
- Noble Steed x2
- Tookish Blood x3

Hazards
- Outpost x2
- DoN x3
- Long Winter x3
- Snowstorm x3
- Twilight x3
- Summons from long sleep x3
- Adunaphel
- Hoarmurath
- Uvatha
- Mouth of Sauron
- Nameless Thing x2
- True Fire Drake x3
- Itangast
- Wild Fell Beast x2
- Cave Drake x2 (for the Bloods)

Sideboard:
- Smoke Rings x3
- Align Palantir
- Alliance of Free People
- Southrons
- Variags
- The White Council x3
- Withdrawn to Mordor
- Outpost
- Drowning Seas x2
- Foul Fumes x2
- Lost in Free Regions x2
- Ren the Unclean
- Rolled Down to the Sea
- The Balance of Things
- The way is shut x2
- Neither so ancient x2
- Muster Disperses x2
- Haven-attacking agent
- Dragon Blood x2

The idea is to move the Hobbits stealing dragon's treasures in Withered Heath and The Lonely Mountain. Once the Necklace is out, the men and dwarf faction are trivial to muster (Frodo+Horn+Necklace). Corruption shouldn't be a problem, influence does: always have a tookish blood in hand, just for the case an agent or a bad-timed call of home tries to stop your treasure hunting.

Playing tips:
- The first turn is important. You may not go out without protection, nor move far from Withered Heath. So, if you're unprotected, go to Lorien (and expect to recover the disadvantage stopping your opponent with storms); if protected + item, discard Cram and go right to the Heat.
- The wizard (Pallando preferred) is there basically to sit, as usual, in the Grey Havens with Cirdan increasing your hand, influencing elves and (more important) getting resources from sb: after played, you must be sure to tap the wizard almost every turn. The first ones should be the rings (to recover Stealth from discard), followed by the Councils, and after that you may consider what you need: factions, Align Palantir or the Alliance.
- Never ever go out without protection, and extra in hand just for the case the other player plays Searching Eye or other.
- Southrons + Variags is an interesting play, but far from the Heat. If willing to influence them, consider stopping at Easterling Camp or in the Marshes, depending on waht you have in hand. Eventually, you may change on-the-fly and turn to a south-strategy, gathering items near Edhellond or at the dangerous jaws of Mordor.
- With the first outpost recover the other from sb, plus any environment already played.
- The resources strategy isn't a quick one; that's why you must rely on the hazards to compulsively stop your opponent's play. And you have to do it at any cost. Preserve DoN all the time, recycle Storms + Twilight + Outposts permanently. Luckily, once you finish half your deck your opponent woun't be able to move, while you go out with your promptings rushing through the storms.
- If your opponent has Promptings too, it's time to use Adunaphel + Wild Fell Beast. If that's not enough, you may sb the dragon bloods and point them to the ranger.
- If necessary, you may try to corrupt your opponent's characters: simply sb Ren + Balance.
- The Summons is interesting: you may play a dragon on it and play it immediately, and gaining a +2 prowess in the process (and not using your hl). Not much, but combined with the Nazgul may be a nasty surprise.
- If your opponent is squatting, try with an agent attack + wiz influencing, + muster disperses.
- If your opponent's strategy involves moving in wilderness-free paths, consider sb the appropriate roadblock. Meanwhile, rely on some of the creatures part of the hazard strategy.
- The hazards part is weak at border/free. Any suggestions to balance this?

MP:
- Items: 26-28
- Factions: 22
- Allies: 2
- Characters: 8
- Misc: 5
Total: 63

Ok, that's all i have. Any comments or suggestions are most welcome. Thanx in advance!
Lucas

stone troll

Post by stone troll » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:19 pm

Promptings is the key to you not getting burned by your own haz strategy.  Consider finding room for three of them st8 up in deck.

Rivers will really slow your deck as Sam will be tapping to use Promptings of Wisdom.  Halfling Strength is your defense against Rivers.  Consider Smoke Rings in the deck to recycle the Strengths.

Baduila can be a pain for decks up north.  One wasted turn really hurts and your opponent will have the haz limit available to move Bad around due to hl2 from the squatting Wizard co.  Consider Bad in your deck and play him face up as a defense.  If nothing else, your opponent must be wary of Bad.  

Withered Lands can enable your Long Winters and Snowstorms to hit lots of places.  Consider for the deck or sideboard.

Peril Returned can be helpful in environment decks.

Snowstorm and Long Winters already defend wilderness areas in and of themselves plus you have 2 cave drakes.  Can something else be subbed for the True Fire Drakes?  Sellswords for those who hug the Gap?

You have 13 resources st8 up in a deck that you say has slow resource acquisition.  Perhaps the elves can be sideboarded by Pallando after he enters play?  Another resource in sb for wiz to bring in?  He won't be doing much anyway.  Elves + one other resource in SB allows 2 smoke rings in deck for flexibility.

White Council is a chancy card, especially for a slow and steady deck.  Have you had success with this card, especially x3?  Something else instead, such as the elves and one other resource?

Sorry if this seems like a lot, but the above are really minor changes.  :)

lucas

Post by lucas » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:21 am

thanx for the suggestions! i think i'll make some space for the withered lands, taking out the white councils. after proper modifications, i'll post the new deck for any other opinion.

lucas

Post by lucas » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:07 am

Pool:
All the hobbits + thror's map + Horn of Anor

Starting:
1) Sam
2) Fatty (+map)
3) Frodo (+Horn)
4) Robin Smallburrow

Characters:
- Pallando x2
- Gandalf
- Cirdan

Resources:
- Stealth x3
- Vanishment x3
- Halfling Stealth x2
- Halfling Strength x3
- Promptings of Wisdom x2
- Marvels Told x2
- Wormsbane
- Orcrist
- Emerald of the Mariner
- Necklace of Girion
- Palantir of Amon Sul
- Scroll of Isildur
- The Mithril Coat
- Iron Hill Dwarves
- Men of Dorwinion
- Easterlings
- Tookish Blood x2
- Twilight x3

Hazards
- Outpost x2
- DoN x3
- Withered Lands x3
- Long Winter x2
- Snowstorm x3
- Summons from long sleep x3
- Adunaphel
- Hoarmurath
- Uvatha
- Mouth of Sauron
- Nameless Thing x2
- True Fire Drake x2
- Itangast
- Were-worm x3
- Cave Drake x2 (for the Bloods)

Sideboard:
- Noble Steed x2
- Southrons
- Variags
- Elves of Lindon
- Smoke Rings x3
- Withdrawn to Mordor
- Outpost
- Drowning Seas
- Foul Fumes
- Lost in Free Regions x2
- Ren the Unclean
- Rolled Down to the Sea
- The Balance of Things
- The way is shut x2
- Neither so ancient x2
- Muster Disperses x2
- Haven-attacking agent
- Dragon Blood x2
- River x2 (avoid promptings)
- Peril returned x2

the resources will again be slow, but i prefer to stop my opponent to play and expect for him to become desperate for not being able to play and watch the hobbits avoiding his strikes.
the main change is turn the hazard strategy to a full-wilderness strategy: all I have hits there, so why don't turn anything to a tree?
needless to say, i haven't tried it yet, i just hipothetically suppose it would work. if anyone tried it, please let me now if it works!
for the wizard, his main task (again) is to tap every turn after played: first to sb the rings, after that the factions and the steeds. why this? well, corruption is not a problem for the hobbits, influence does, and the muster disperses + agents may be a problem for already played factions. so, i prefer to play them in the last turns. obviously, this works under the hypothesis that the storms and all the other environment hell will stop your opponent for at least 8 (!) turns... difficult for the quick decks people use to play, but still I give it a chance.
again, thanx for the comments!

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:20 am

Can't start with Thror's map, btw.  It's unique.

lucas

Post by lucas » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:27 am

sorry, put a cram instead.