[Fallen Saruman Resource] Poisoned Voices

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Bandobras Took

[Fallen Saruman Resource] Poisoned Voices

Post by Bandobras Took » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:25 am

I've never made a deck based on influencing everything away from your opponent rather than trying to score points, but here goes:

Starting Company:
Never Refuse

Tarcil w/Thrall of the Voice
Mionid
Peath w/Thrall Ring
Asternak w/Thrall Ring

Other Characters:
Wormtongue
3 x Saruman

Resources:
2 x Govern the Storms
2 x Riven Gate
2 x Dark Tryst
2 x Veils of Shadow
2 x The Water's Tithe
2 x The Tormented Earth
2 x Smoke Rings
Wizard's Myrmidon
The Forge-master
Palantir of Orthanc
Align Palantir
2 x Crooked Promptings
2 x Lordly Presence
2 x New Friendship
2 x Honey On the Tongue
2 x Old Friendship
2 x Weigh All Things to a Nicety

Sideboard:
Aiglos
Glamdring
Elves of Lindon
Gollum
Tom Bombadil
Wizard's Ring
Palantir of Minas Tirith
Returned Exiles
2 x And Forth He Hastened
2 x White Light Broken
Troll-Chief

As I've never even attempted a deck like this before, there are likely to be gaping holes.  The basic premise is to draw and play cards like mad, getting Saruman early for twelve DI.  Hador with Never-Refuse can lead the Diplomats around, playing the Crooked Promptings/New Friendships for early influence.  Sideboard in what you expect your opponent to play; some common cards are included there, but it's likely far from complete.

Saruman with a Wizard's Ring is a 17 DI maniac who's slightly (i.e. very) vulnerable to corruption, so keep recycling New Friendships/White Light Brokens.

Have Wormtongue sit at FW Isengard with an aligned Palantir of Orthanc to help you recycle vital cards.

Use the Water's Tithe to follow your opponent's company wherever it goes; use Tormented Earth in case they try some sneaky CvCC.

Run away from Malady Decks. :)

Now for the fun part!  Tell me what's wrong with it! :)
Last edited by Bandobras Took on Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:57 am

You can only have 2 copies of hero and minion non-unique resources in a fallen wizard deck....

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:13 am

Zarathustra wrote:
You can only have 2 copies of hero and minion non-unique resources in a fallen wizard deck....
Thanks, you can tell that I've been away awhile . . .  :oops:

I'll tinker with it a bit.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:44 am

You will eventually need to score some points to win, and I can't see from your deck how you're going to manage that?  Will you have a separate company which actually tries to acquire some MPs?

You'll presumably need some of the basic FW cards that give FWs full points for things like Great Patron, Legacy of Smiths, etc..?

Regarding Malady, I wouldn't play this deck versus minion.  Those characters would get slaughtered by most minion companies anyway and against a Hog deck there would be little to no chance.

If a hero opponent decides to go underground this deck would seriously stumble, but then I guess heroes don't go underground all too often.
Visit the Optional Rules forum and try out the community accepted Unofficial Errata.

Dam

Post by Dam » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:22 pm

FW-Saru can get full MPs from the non-weapon items already, so Legacy is a waste for him (unless you want to go for weapons, of course  :roll: ).
"A dirty mind is its own reward."

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:43 pm

Honey on the Tongue only gives a DI bonus vs. characters in the same company.  That's not gonna do you much good influencing away your opponent.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:43 pm

Zarathustra wrote:Honey on the Tongue only gives a DI bonus vs. characters in the same company.  That's not gonna do you much good influencing away your opponent.
Honey On the Tongue wrote: Diplomat only. +5 direct influence against characters by a character in a diplomat's company until the end of the turn. Cannot be duplicated on a given character.
Actually, it's just the opposite -- any character in the diplomat's company gets +5 DI vs. characters until the end of the turn.  At least, that's what the card says to me.  I could be mistaken.

It seems to me that Gatherer of Loyalties/Great Patron might be better off in the sideboard, depending on what I steal from my opponent.

What about some generically playable 1 MP Factions/Allies straight up in the deck for MPs?

Oh, and thanks everybody for taking the time to make suggestions and correct my lumber-room memory. :)

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:35 pm

Oops.