Maintenance announcements

Forum policy, site announcements, etc.
Required reading, especially the forum rules on top.

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Maintenance announcements

Post by Gwaihir » Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:40 pm

Some changes will be made to make the domain name MeCCG.net point to a site of it's own (instead of to gwaihir.net/forum). While these changes are underway you may find meccg.net unavailable for up to three days from now.

This maintenance only affects the name meccg.net, these forums will remain available under gwaihir.net/forum as before.
Last edited by Gwaihir on Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:18 am

Done :D

MeCCG.net has a place of it's own now.
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Forum will move

Post by Gwaihir » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:00 pm

Now this forum turns out to be far less temporary then I expected, I feel time has come to move it to a real MeCCG.net URL.

The new URL will be http://www.meccg.net/dforum/ (is currently http://www.gwaihir.net/forum/ ). I will make the update end of March. I'll look first to make sure no one is active at the time and temporarily close the board. Total downtime shouldn't be more then 10 minutes.

What does this mean for you?
- you can still find the board from the link at the MeCCG.net main page
- if you've got it bookmarked you'll have to update that bookmark
- if you're logged in automatically at the time of change-over you will be logged out (i.e. you'll have to log in once at your next visit).

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:57 pm

I'll (finally) be doing this today. So don't be surprised if you find (or have found) the board closed for a few minutes.

:arrow: Update: this part is complete

I'm also moving forums and threads around a bit to make room for general MeCCG discussion on these boards, as requested by Joseph Demme (Strider). He will be your moderator for (most of) that as well.

:arrow: Update: Joseph and I will likely be continuing with the bulk of that tomorrow (Saturday 24th). We'll be adding a good number of new boards, as well as bringing over the users and posts from a (temporary) board Joseph had running already.

:arrow: Update: The posts are here. We've taken some extra time to inform the users and a maintenance outage at the old board doesn't help speed things along either. Joseph and I will continue to work on this.

If you still spot anything weird on Wednesday (like one of your posts not being attributed to you, your post count being horribly off, etc), please note so here in this thread and I'll fix it.

:arrow: All done; board move in completed.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Update of forum software

Post by Gwaihir » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:00 am

I updated the forum today (security update); a task long overdue that had become a bit more urgent now a phpBB targetting worm is on the loose. I had to keep the forum off-line for nearly three hours to get all the modifications done, but here we are: as good as new again (I hope).

If you now run into anything weird suddenly, please post it as a bug report (in that forum) and mention that you think it resulted from the upgrade.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

MeCCG.net changing server

Post by Gwaihir » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:35 pm

We are changing server this Saturday, Jan 22. This means:

For everyone: the forum will be closed for a while when we move it over.

For the webmasters with FTP upload: please make any updated you would like to make before Saturday noon GMT (13:00 CET, 7am EST). Soon after your FTP access to the old place will cease. Once we have completed the move you will be issued a new password to access the server at the new location. However, due to the nature of the internet DNS system (the system that translates the name meccg.net to the computer address number, which is often cached by your ISP), it may wel take several days before this access starts to work for you.

I'll also take this opportunity to pass on the e-mail addy of the Dutch council to my successor, Michiel van Nieuwkerk. Michiel: you'll receive the access detail for it shortly. Your temporary meccg.net address will then be terminated.

The primairy reason for this move is to enable Josh Hunholz to take up the administrator tasks (which were unfortunately hard to split off from my personal website in the current location). We are using this opportunity to build some backup / redundancy in: I will remain available as backup / second administrator, however from now on Josh is the man to contact first.

:arrow: Update, Saturday evening: we ran into some issues, alas. We will continue tomorrow to complete the transfer.

jhunholz
Administrator

Post by jhunholz » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:42 pm

Most everything is done transfering now, with the exception of the DNS being updated. That should be done by this evening.
:arrow: Update [Gwaihir]: DNS update is done too. Also, those ending up at the old webiste are automatically forwarded.

Webmasters who have FTP access: I will send you e-mails shortly with your username/password and instructions.

E-mail users: I will contact you as well with the login info for your accounts.

If anyone finds any errors with the site, please let me know either through e-mail (through e-mail address in my info) or by posting in this thread. Thanks for your patience during this move.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:40 pm

:arrow: [updated] The board is able to send e-mail once more, relevant for topic watching, getting informed about PMs and registration. We are glad to see it work again and apologize for the inconvenience.

Note that PMs and posts made during the mail-outage (from Saturday 22th till early today, 28th) did go through, it was only the e-mail notification that was affected. The two people that as a result had trouble with registration have been contacted and helped out.

:arrow: [updated] Server time was of by 90 minutes from Saturday (22th) till yesterday (27th), so some post times appear a bit off. That too is now fixed.

:arrow: [updated] Display of some special characters was wrong too since the move on the 22th. Has been resolved on the 28th as well.

:arrow: Only the mailinglist archive is not accepting the new posts at the moment. We expect to have this resolved soon too.
Last edited by Gwaihir on Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jhunholz
Administrator

Post by jhunholz » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:07 am

The server that hosts MeCCG.net was down for aprox. 20 minutes this evening due to unscheduled maintenance. Everything is up and working now.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:22 pm

I've got some minor (security) updates to do to this board's software this weekend. I might need to shut the board down for a few minutes for this, but I'll try to avoid that.

:arrow: Update: this is now completed.

When nearly done I noticed the board's built-in security features had disabled the board for a while during the update, hence the short outage (< 10 minutes). IMHO this was over-cautious. I will try to avoid this happening a next time.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:41 am

For most of this month we had trouble displaying special characters, such as those with accents. We're pleased to say that these have been resolved. It turned out they were caused by a bug in a security update. Thanks for your patience in this matter.

As a result of the bug, some characters in posts made this month were misinterpreted and will continue to show up wrong, generally as a '?' in the midst of a word. If you spot any of this in your post, please edit it now. The moderators will also edit these out when they can guess what it should have said. Thanks for your help.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Problems with the search functions

Post by Gwaihir » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:40 pm

We've just become aware that the search functionality is currently broken. :( Sorry..

My first guess is that it probably has something to do with some updates made two days ago. Whatever it is, we'll no doubt be fixing it, but that may take a couple of days.

:arrow: Edit [jhunholz]: This issue is now resolved. If anyone still has problems with it, please let us know.

jhunholz
Administrator

Post by jhunholz » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:16 pm

An update was just done on the Mysql server, bringing us up to version 5.0.26, and while this shouldn't cause any problems, please let me know if you see any issues. Thanks!