HeroQuest (inspired by Five Armies)

The board where you can share off topic things with your friends out here.

Moderator: Moderators

Zakath

HeroQuest (inspired by Five Armies)

Post by Zakath » Sun May 15, 2005 11:33 pm

Anyone else know this game? It was produced by Games Workshop back around 1990-ish, and is still the most fun boardgame I have ever played, by a wide margin.

I own the game plus all 6 of the expansion packs that were released for it, including both ultra-rare US expansions and both European expansions (which I've adapted to the US rules), although some of the materials had to be home made (thanks to the online HQ community for keeping high quality color scans of everything on the web!). Everything is in relatively good condition, and a large number of the miniatures are painted, more for flavour than incredible detail (I'm an extremely mediocre mini painter ;)).

Anyone else think this game sounds like fun? I'd love to play it sometime, which should be possible if I can actually meet up with people to play MECCG in person again, which I haven't done in quite a while. Hopefully I'll be able to make Worlds this year, although this is still rather uncertain.

_nauku_

Post by _nauku_ » Mon May 16, 2005 8:46 am

I've played the game few times. I think it's fun, though it's pretty simple. One of the very first rpg's I've ever played. Never tried the expansions. What new they bring to the original gameset?
Council of Barad-dur website www.meccg.net/cob

Zakath

Post by Zakath » Mon May 16, 2005 4:32 pm

New spells, monsters, artifacts, etc. Plus the expansion quests are harder. New overlay tiles and rules to go with them. Lots of things. Some of it can be integrated right into the main game from the beginning.

I always thought the beauty of the game was its simplicity. That and its difficulty. If the players don't work together, they die.

karmi

Post by karmi » Wed May 18, 2005 2:55 am

I own the Finnish version of the game, and one expansion (kellars keep). It used to be a fun game to play with friends who didn't otherwise care for strategy, roleplaying games or ccgs.

If you brings yours to Worlds, I will most definately be in for a spin. 8)

_nauku_

Post by _nauku_ » Wed May 18, 2005 3:03 am

karmi wrote: If you brings yours to Worlds, I will most definately be in for a spin. 8)
Me too. If the finnish army lets me go to the worlds. Just my typical luck to have to go to army just when the worlds are organised here :(
Council of Barad-dur website www.meccg.net/cob

Zakath

Post by Zakath » Wed May 18, 2005 9:33 am

I'm not at all certain I'll be able to make Worlds. :(

Unless I can figure out a cheaper way to get there, I won't be able to attend.

I wish I'd been paying attention last year. Atlanta would have been a lot easier to get to.