Scanned Cards Database

A place for anyone to submit idea's and improvement tips for the site - 'obligation free'. - If on the other hand you want to become more involved, you are encouraged to join the MeCCG.net development team.

Moderator: Moderators

The Lidless Eye

Scanned Cards Database

Post by The Lidless Eye » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:11 pm

I was wondering if a database of the images of all the cards for the Middle Earth CCG exists. I think probably not.

Would it be legal/ethical to create such a database that is accessible from a web browser.

Wizards of the coast has a database like this (of course they are the producer of the product so it is legal). Click on some of the card links in this site to see how it works: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=348451

The creation of such as database has a number of benefits:

1) Discussion, in this form or elsewhere, about rules or card functions could hyperlink to the card so we don't have to look through card collections to find the card.
2) Images of rare cards, etc could be seen by all.
3) Those who don't have complete sets can still see those cards they are missing
4) Discussion of artwork or artists could also be facilitated by hyperlink to card images

Downside:

1) Perhaps legal issues - may not be a big deal with a game that has not been in print for 7 years
2) Time required to scan in the images - if a database doesn't exist, it would be time consuming to create one. However, if a group of people were to work together it wouldn't take that long (scan 6 cards at a time, low resolution, use photoshop or some other program to "extract" the one scanned image into 6 cards, repeat) ...any volunteers?

Thoughts?

jerrek

Post by jerrek » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:44 am

wouldn't the pictures used in netMetw be like this.

henrikbe

Re: Scanned Cards Database

Post by henrikbe » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:21 am

The Lidless Eye wrote: 2) Time required to scan in the images - if a database doesn't exist, it would be time consuming to create one.
Such scans do already exist. I downloaded them a year or so ago, but I don't remember where.
Henrik

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:38 pm

Mod note: moved: general :arrow: ideas for the site

Working on this :) Will be much like that WotC page btw, though I hadn't seen it before. There are some preliminary versions of card databases available, but all without images. A lot of data has already been gathered (many English images already float around the net) and much of the page design is also ready.

Ethical: our target is to show an existing product that we like and whish to discuss, not to reproduce / redistribute MeCCG. So if we don't offer a mass-download option, I see no moral objections.

Legal: I think so, but I am still looking into part of this. It is certainly legal to show small images for visual recognition. For that purpose I already have a full set of all English card images handy.

I'd like to reproduce the images a bit bigger too though (i.e. text readable), like Decipher does and I think that is still ok too, but we can see about that later. I should set some preciese standards for the scan quality / file format first and then I can start gathering scans of all MeCCG cards ever printed (i.e. including translations, challenge decks, etc.). As I own them all anyway, asking people to scan them for me isn't illegal and then I can meanwhile double check if putting them in a web accessible database isn't.

If you'd like to help out with the early part, please send me a PM. Once it gets to gathering I'll move this too the "community help" forum and hope to catch a good number of helpful people to make it relatively quick.

There is a fine line here: showing images of an existing, legal product is ok. But distributing whole bunches of MeCCG cards in digital form, which nearly automatically comes with the purpose of either printing fresh cards or using them in digital form in for example NetMeCCG is another matter. This is why with most programs such as NetMeCCG and GCCG-METW card images are not included with the game (though there are "fend for yourself" options available - one is after all always free to digitize his own cards for his personal use). CCG-W goes furthest with this image stuff; I guess they figure they have little too loose and try how long it lasts. (They already had to pull all WotC stuff and pulled the LotR TCG too, just to be sure.)

Mod note: we do have much to loose, so, we don't want such potential problems out here. As can be found in our policy, we strictly keep advertisements of and requests for such files of of our site. I just moderated the above (three) posts accordingly. Consider this a friendly reminder to stick to the policy and keep us out of trouble. Thanks.

BTW: note that in all of this the "not in print" part isn't the biggest argument. The rights + license still exists and the owner of that still markets it most commercially. In the not too distant past a MERP site has for example received the dreaded "cease and desist" and once it has come to that those big $$ firms are not in the mood to argue about the maybe's anymore.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

The Lidless Eye

Post by The Lidless Eye » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:37 am

I wonder if we could "watermark" the cards in some way so that they contain a small "logo" in the bottom corner to prevent someone from downloading an exact copy of the card. If the cards were simply for rules discussion/admiring art/etc, then it shouldn't matter if there is a small logo at the bottom corner (kind of like that image that appears at the bottom right of images on ebay).

I would be willing to help if you wanted to move this project forward.

Wojtek

Post by Wojtek » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:05 am

Look at this:

http://www.meccg.winternet.one.pl/

Use button do roboty! to find cards you have taped above

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:29 pm

Mod Note:  Deleted post that pointed to places to download card images en masse.  Please refrain from posting such links or information on these forums.  Not only is this a copyright issue, but it is also one of the forum rules.  Please refer to the forum rules http://www.meccg.net/dforum/viewtopic.php?t=147 if you have any questions about what is allowed or not allowed on these forums.

ElricX

Post by ElricX » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:26 pm