On-line deck builder + collection tracker?

A place for anyone to submit idea's and improvement tips for the site - 'obligation free'. - If on the other hand you want to become more involved, you are encouraged to join the MeCCG.net development team.

Moderator: Moderators

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

On-line deck builder + collection tracker?

Post by Gwaihir » Fri May 16, 2003 7:33 pm

Just had a brainwave. We want to create 'ultimate' search access to the cards here, right? One of the good uses for that will no doubt be deckbuilding. So why not integrate deckbuilding too? I.e. add an 'add to deck' functionality on those card pages and allow you to view and manipulate decks (i.e. add and remove cards), after which you can download you decklist (probably as nice pdf + as DeckMeCCG + as whatever format Gccg uses).

Combined with the trade center this might create a reason for an on-line collection tracker as well, that notifies you when you add a card to your deck that you do not posess, and possibly asking 'do you want to add it to your 'needs' list' straight away. Will of course be most effective when this collection tracker is also compatible with the 'most used digital formats' for collection tracking. Which are? (Excel?, John May's routine?)
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Zarathustra

Already done...

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:14 pm

Great idea. We should get in touch with Rich Buonanno who already created an online deckbuilder. He limits access to it because it's on his home computer, but I think he'd probably not mind giving us the code or something.

MRA

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:53 pm

Richard is on board already. I think his help will be invaluable where it comes to search routines for the card database, deck building and the like. :)

I didn't know his works had already produced a functional deckbuilder. Interesting :)
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

The Dead Dwarf

Post by The Dead Dwarf » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:41 am

If you're developing a deck builder/collection tracker utility - I think it would be good if you could also get it to track 'built' decks.

Let me explain, I pretty much have a playset for each ME set (finally), but of course I don't have unlimited copies of every card.

When I'm building a new deck I often have to tear apart an existing deck to get the longbottom leaf, or other card(s) that I have limited copies of. Then I'm left with an incomplete deck - and there's a danger that I'll pick it up a month later and try to use it ... so then I have to put all the cards back in the boxes/binder.

If the utility had some way of tracking decks you built, then you would know if you had to destroy an existing deck to build this new deck or not.

But there again tracking decks as well as cards might not be worth the effort?

Just a suggestion

Nigel

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:17 pm

Interesting... we'd probably have to ask around at some point how many people would want / use this.

Initially I am thinking of allowing each member just a deck or two on the server (like deck currently under design and maybe one extra). This would be to limit space needed at the server and possibly limit the complexity (read resource consumption) of the searches as well. One could easily download the file once a deck is completed and upload it again should it need further manipulation.

Your suggestion would require users to specify what decks they have laying around built and in what order they went about them. Further it will mean tracking play collections beyond the standard play set. And last it means seperating play environments (i.e. one can have real decks, decks for NetMeCCG, decks for GCCG, etc, each with its own collection attached.) I don't think many people will be that meticulous.. and for all others it will just add unused complexity to the system. But we can do a poll under the users once 'version 1' is online.

The Dead Dwarf

Post by The Dead Dwarf » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:25 am

Makes sense,

Get a working system - and then see what the demand is, it's likely that 'improvements' will get suggested once people start using it.

Nigel

rrb

Post by rrb » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:20 pm

Hey guys,

I'm here (sorta)... yes I have a working deck-builder on my site. It's not all-singing, all-dancing yet, but I do build decks with it. I am expecting to convert it over to use whatever DB is finally designed and built by this project (as long as I don't have to shell out for it, i.e. no Oracle and as long as there's a Unix version, i.e. no Access or other such Micro$oft brain-damage). Anyway, as Mark mentioned I do limit access to it, but anyone who is part of MeCCG.net is welcome to have a logon. Just email me directly (rbuonanno@comcast.net) with your choice of user id and I will set up the account and return you a password. If all you want is a cursory glance you can use guest/guest to get in and poke about. Note however that guest has limited functionality.

--rrb.