A little question about the legality of (virtual) cards

Ever thought up cards of your own, or written a cool scenario? This is the place to share your ideas.

Moderators: Jambo, Tegarend, Moderators

teratzul

A little question about the legality of (virtual) cards

Post by teratzul » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:53 pm

I know this topic exactly related to virtual cards, but since this can also be aplied to Dream Cards to some extent, I decided to post it here too ...
teratzul wrote:A little question about the legality of cards ...

Distributing gccg with card images altered by the comunity would be against law, that's for sure. What I'm asking myself is what would happen if we allowed gccg to work with alternate graphic cards for virtual ones, but without distributing the actual images. Does anyone remember NetMECCG (aka NetMETW) ? The creator of NetMECCG(Mike Collins) was forbidden by ICE to distribute the image card files. The resource cards appeared without text, stats nor image and you could only distinguish the type of card, no more. Even though the Netmeccg package didn't come with the real images, you could always scan your own cards, rename the files and play online with anyone !

So if we did that would it be Illegal ? What I mean is that we could use generic card images for the cards we are not allowed to distribute and we, I mean, each of us, could create his own cards. If no one distributed these home-made cards, there would be no law breaking, would there ?

Furthermore, in this fashion, wouldn't we be allowed to play even with dream expansions on gccg ? There would be no new card distribution. Only a card with no text, no image not even stats, the text of the card would also be virtual then and only a CTRL+H would reveal it ...
Is anyone up to date on copyright affairs ?

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:35 pm

Hi,

The FAQ at the top of this forum should help a little.
Visit the Optional Rules forum and try out the community accepted Unofficial Errata.

Sly Southerner

Post by Sly Southerner » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:09 am

I think thats a good idea. Others have concerns I believe. To be honest I dont understand why.  :D
So that's where that southerner is hiding...He looks more than half like a goblin.