Question about Challenge decks !

All trader / collector's issues regarding specific cards and other MeCCG products: is this one especially valuable? what's in this box?; is this a fair trade?

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Zakath

Post by Zakath » Wed May 18, 2005 9:29 am

I wouldn't discount sideboarding so easily. The rules that govern it aren't all that complicated, and it definitely can make a difference.

EndersGame

Post by EndersGame » Thu May 19, 2005 2:02 am

Sideboarding mostly helps you with the second time you are going through your play deck, correct? Because you can move cards from your sideboard to your discard pile, so you can only actually start using those cards when you have finished your play deck, and you shuffle your discard pile (including the cards moved there from your sideboard) to start going through it again? Am I understanding that right?
Thanks for the help!

jhunholz
Administrator

Post by jhunholz » Thu May 19, 2005 2:30 am

Usually, you get to put some cards in the discard pile from your side board with certain actions (tapping your wizard, tapping a nazgul perm event, playing smoke rings, etc.), but with most of those you could also move a smaller amount of cards (just 1) from your sideboard right into your play deck! That can be handy when you're getting close to the end of your play deck, as you will have a good chance of drawing that card. :)

Zakath

Post by Zakath » Thu May 19, 2005 8:10 pm

Smoke Rings, Longbottom Leaf, and Weigh All Things to a Nicety allow you to put cards straight into your deck. You can also choose to do so with your avatar. This can be essential: I frequently have things like Forewarned is Forearmed in the sideboard, in case my opponent is running Assassins and Slayers. Effective usage of your sideboard (especially as Fallen Gandalf *grin*) can be the difference between winning and losing.

Sly Southerner

Post by Sly Southerner » Thu May 19, 2005 11:40 pm

I think the important thing for beginners to know that it is not essential to sideboard. For the challenge decks it is really not needed at all.

I played for a year before using the sideboard. It certainly adds to the complexity of the game. Mark Alfano is probably the master of the sideboard and has posted a thread on it somewhere on these forums. For an an experienced player it can make the difference between winning and losing, but the best option for a beginner is just to start playing and have fun! :D :D :D
So that's where that southerner is hiding...He looks more than half like a goblin.

EndersGame

Easiest and strongest Challenge Decks

Post by EndersGame » Sun May 22, 2005 10:31 am

Of the five Hero challenge decks:
a) which is the easiest for beginners to play?
b) which is the strongest/most powerful deck?
Thanks in advance for any comments!

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

challenge decks vs. METW fixed

Post by Gwaihir » Tue May 31, 2005 10:31 pm

In response to remarks about this from Adrian and Wolfgang: Benjamin Farrand checked the hero challenge decks vs. the METW fixed. He found that with a full set of (hero) challenge decks, you are still missing the following 10 METW fixed cards:
  • Bag End
  • Bandit Lair
  • Bard Bowman
  • Beregond
  • Dunlendings
  • Dunnish Clan-hold
  • Ents of Fangorn
  • Robin Smallburrow
  • Ruined Signal-tower
  • The Wind Throne
He promised to check out the minion decks soon too. :)
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

challenge decks vs MELE fixed

Post by Gwaihir » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:00 am

And now for the minions. According to Benjamin with a full set of (minion) challenge decks, you are still missing the following 26 MELE fixed cards:
  • Akhôrahil the Ringwraith
  • Barrow-downs
  • Buhr Widu
  • Ettenmoors
  • Geann a-Lisch
  • Haudh-in-Gwanur
  • Khamûl the Ringwraith
  • Magic Ring of Enigma*
  • Magic Ring of Fury*
  • Magic Ring of Guile*
  • Magic Ring of Lies*
  • Magic Ring of Savagery*
  • Men of Dorwinion
  • Orc-chieftain*
  • Orcs of Mirkwood
  • Pon Opar
  • Ren the Ringwraith
  • Shrel-Kain
  • Troll-chief*
  • Ûvatha the Ringwraith
  • Vale of Erech
  • Variag Camp
  • Variags of Khand
  • Woodmen
  • Woodmen-town
  • Zarak Dûm
Note that the seven cards I marked with a * are available as uncommons too and that Geann a-Lisch can also be found as a common in boosters.
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

fanfarian

Post by fanfarian » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:51 pm

I got few Cards with a grey border.
Half of it are from the Witch-King Deck, sign "I" and the other half got no sign.
Are those bonus cards to edit the Challenge Deck? Or whats about those.
Suche Spieler im Raum VS, Germany
Webmaster www.councilofelrond.org

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:57 pm

They're probably from a balrog deck....

fanfarian

Post by fanfarian » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:05 pm

Some of them got the F-Rune for Dragons, some the <-Rune of Against the Shadows and some the H-Rune of Lidless Eye.

Challenge Balrog Deck? or what. I thought the Balrog Cards got all a black Border.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:14 pm

The back-up cards in the Balrog decks came from other sets. &nbsp;They are grey-bordered. &nbsp;That's why everyone seems to have grey-bordered Neeker-Breekers and grey-bordered minion Arkenstones even if they don't have the rest of the promos, for example. &nbsp;My guess is that the cards you mention are from the Balrog boxes.

fanfarian

Post by fanfarian » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:03 pm

so all grey bordered cards without the A-J Letter are from Balrog Set?
and all grey bordered cards with the a-J Letter are from Challege Deck Set?

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:12 pm

Well, there's also the grey-border cards from the Gandalf starter deck and the white-border cards from the Saruman starter deck, but as I recall these are also numbered and lettered. &nbsp;I can't think of any other grey-bordered cards....

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:31 pm

Zarathustra wrote:Well, there's also the grey-border cards from the Gandalf starter deck [..], but as I recall these are also numbered and lettered.
Numbered for sure. Lettered? I'd have to check. However, these borders are a considerably lighter shade of grey.