Question about Challenge decks !

All trader / collector's issues regarding specific cards and other MeCCG products: is this one especially valuable? what's in this box?; is this a fair trade?

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

krabbe

Question about Challenge decks !

Post by krabbe » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:26 pm

Hi there!
I am quite new to the game and have a question about the challenge decks of the middle earth ccg that are available.
Are all the fixed cards of the Wizards and Lidless eye sets available in the challenge decks or do they consist of other cards? I am thinking of buying a challenge deck display to get these fixed cards and some playable decks.
Your help is very much appreciated :)
Bye
Martin

karmi

Re: Question about Challenge decks !

Post by karmi » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:21 pm

krabbe wrote:Hi there!
I am quite new to the game and have a question about the challenge decks of the middle earth ccg that are available.
Are all the fixed cards of the Wizards and Lidless eye sets available in the challenge decks or do they consist of other cards? I am thinking of buying a challenge deck display to get these fixed cards and some playable decks.
Your help is very much appreciated :)
Bye
Martin
Challenge decks are ready to play preconstructed decks, you can find the decks lists at http://www.meccg.net/netherlands/meccg/decks.html. They may contain some of the fixed cards availabel in MEtW and MELE starters, but certainly not all.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:09 pm

But buying a display of challenge decks is an excellent way of getting into the game, almost certainly the best way, especially given their current pricing. You get such a great selection of much played cards right away, that is impossible to beat.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

krabbe

Thanks!

Post by krabbe » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:41 pm

Thanks for the help :)

EndersGame

Reverse side of Challenge deck cards

Post by EndersGame » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:09 am

Is the back of the cards of the Challenge decks the same as the back of the regular cards? In other words, can you take cards from the Challenge decks, and mix them with the regular METW cards?

The reason I am asking is because I was thinking of buying the Wizard Challenge Decks, and then later adding to these cards with commons & uncommons. However, if the back of the challenge decks are obviously different from other METW cards, this obviously won't work!

Gaereth Barethson

Post by Gaereth Barethson » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:20 am

Yes, I think so. The only difference is that the cards are grey bordered (not on the back), which gives them a weird look :?

Sly Southerner

Post by Sly Southerner » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:10 am

Yes that works fine and I think it is a good way to go. I do that with every deck becuase I managed to get half a box of The Dragons boosters with only one Marvels Told! The challenge decks have planty of essential cards like this as well as a couple of sought after cards: Assassin (rare) and Fatty Bolger (promo). AFAIK they also contain all the "fixed" cards so you don't have to worry about buying starters which are getting harder to find.

Incidentally the grey border on the front of the card also makes it easy to find your challenge deck cards afterwards if you wish to put your challenge decks back together. Each is also labelled with a letter indicating which deck it belongs to.
Last edited by Sly Southerner on Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

EndersGame

Post by EndersGame » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:39 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies - appreciated!

Earendil

Post by Earendil » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:57 pm

Adrian wrote:Yes that works fine and I think it is a good way to go.
Totally agreed! It is one of the ideas around challenge decks philosophy (introducing new players with a good starter set of cards and then allow them to increase their decks).
"...And he said that if I had the cheek to make verses about Earendil in the house of Elrond, it was my affair. I suppose he was right :D"

EndersGame

Hero Cards in Minion Challenge Decks

Post by EndersGame » Mon May 02, 2005 8:27 pm

I've mentioned before that I intend to go for the Challenge Decks, just getting the five Wizard/Hero Challenge Decks. The five Minion Decks seem a little complex, and I figure I will have my hands full playing just the Hero ones (plus I don't think I will enjoy playing as the "bad guy"). So I only intend to play Hero alignment games. Out of curiosity, how many Hero resource/hazard cards are there in the Minion Challenge decks? Is it worth getting all 10 Challenge Decks instead of just the five Hero Challenge Decks, just to use some of the Hazard cards from the Minion Decks as alternative or extra cards to make my own Hero Decks, or are most of them specific to being used in Minion Deck games?

Some of them *appear* to be usable in a Hero deck, such as: An Unexpected Outpost, Doors of Night, Foolish Words, Rebel Talk, Wolves, Wargs, Wake of War, Twilight, Stay Her Appetite, Ambusher, Power Built by Waiting, Long Winter, Lure of Nature (LE), Snowstorm, Twilight (LE), Alone and Unadvised, Corpse Candle, Dragon Sickness, Ghosts (LE), Weariness of the Heart, River, Cave Drake, Cave Worm, Marsh Drake, Rain Drake, Nameless Thing, Barrow Wight, Chill Douser, Ghouls, Plague of Wights, Corsairs of Umbar, Cruel Caradhras, Foul Fumes, Lure of the Senses. Although some of these do seem to be more keyed to territory that Hero Characters wouldn't spend much time in perhaps? However I am not yet familiar enough with the intricacies of the game to be sure. In short, do you think there are enough Hero Hazard Cards in the Minion Decks to make it worthwhile getting these extra five decks as well?

Thanks again for your helpfulness!
EndersGame

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Mon May 02, 2005 9:30 pm

Have you got a chance to get the 5 apart? The only challenge decks I see are packaged per box ...

jhunholz
Administrator

Post by jhunholz » Tue May 03, 2005 12:24 am

To be honest, I think you will find a box of all 10 decks cheaper than you will just the 5 hero decks alone. You can always just use the hazards as you say. That's the route I would go.

thorondor

Post by thorondor » Tue May 03, 2005 8:36 am

Adrian wrote:AFAIK they also contain all the "fixed" cards so you don't have to worry about buying starters which are getting harder to find.
i am pretty sure, that this is not exactly right. i don´t think that you will get a complete set of F-cards when buying all 5 Hero CH decks (though probably a considerably amount).
but i didn´t check it ...

EndersGame

Sideboard in Challenge Decks

Post by EndersGame » Wed May 18, 2005 6:09 am

Another question about the Challenge Decks (got my set in the mail recently!):
How essential is the sideboard in the Challenge Deck? For a beginner, is it possible to play with the Challenge Deck and simply not use the sideboard at all (allowing Free Council to be declared at 20 MPs?) Or is the sideboard quite essential for these decks to work?
Thanks in advance!

karmi

Re: Sideboard in Challenge Decks

Post by karmi » Wed May 18, 2005 6:51 am

EndersGame wrote:Another question about the Challenge Decks (got my set in the mail recently!):
How essential is the sideboard in the Challenge Deck? For a beginner, is it possible to play with the Challenge Deck and simply not use the sideboard at all (allowing Free Council to be declared at 20 MPs?) Or is the sideboard quite essential for these decks to work?
Thanks in advance!
Saruman has The White Tree in SB which you certainly want to play late in the game, but other than that, I think you can safely forget sideboarding in hero games.

Minion decks have Sudden Call in sb (needed to call the council).