Value of my collection

All trader / collector's issues regarding specific cards and other MeCCG products: is this one especially valuable? what's in this box?; is this a fair trade?

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Barliman Butterbur

Value of my collection

Post by Barliman Butterbur » Tue May 20, 2008 12:59 pm

Hello folks,

I was involved with MECCG quite heavily in my youth and then again in the summer of 2006.  I'm now at a point where I'd like to sell my rather large collection.  I'm looking for advice on pricing, shipping, etc.

90% of the cards are in near mint condition (very little to no wear) and 10% show slight wear (a nicked corner for example).  When I say "near complete playset" I REALLY mean near, I'm only missing a few cards from a few playsets I have at least one or two copies of every non-unique (except for those ultra-rare Against the Shadow cards). Only from Balrog I have just eleven cards.

I'd like to sell entire sets, or preferably the entire collection at once.  I live in Ontario, Canada in terms of shipping.

How do you folks normally ship large lots of cards?  In binder pages or in card boxes?  What do you think is a reasonable price to get for my collection?

Thanks for your help, the MECCG community has been great!

[Mod note, after edit: I guess it's good to once more point at the rules for this board and the nice free pages Chris Cable's part of MeCCG.net has available for sales offers.]

Barliman Butterbur

Post by Barliman Butterbur » Fri May 23, 2008 11:21 am

Well, I've found a buyer but I'm a little disappointed with the price.  I feel good about the buyer, I think he's an honest person who's looking to do the best he can for both of us BUT his best offer is half of what I had hoped for.

Is $1000 a realistic amount of money to expect for a set like this or am I just dreaming?

The Lidless Eye

Post by The Lidless Eye » Fri May 23, 2008 1:42 pm

I am not thoroughly up on the prices of sets but to me the price doesn't seem that unreasonable since you don't have the ultra-rares from Against the Shadow or very many Balrog cards.

You would definitely get more if you broke the collection up and sold the sets individually on ebay.  But, you will have a lot more hassles to deal with in getting ride of the cards.

I normally ship sets in binder pages inside a binder for protection.  But this collection is so large it would cost a small fortune to ship out that way.  Your best bet is to pack the cards well into some form of deck box.

Just my $0.02

melkor_morgoth75

Post by melkor_morgoth75 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:37 pm

Barliman Butterbur wrote:Well, I've found a buyer but I'm a little disappointed with the price.  I feel good about the buyer, I think he's an honest person who's looking to do the best he can for both of us BUT his best offer is half of what I had hoped for.

Is $1000 a realistic amount of money to expect for a set like this or am I just dreaming?
Drop a 0 maybe ...  :wink:

Really,1000 is too much. Selling the cards singularly is far better to abtain more money  :D

mm75