Which language and which set has the best print quality?

All trader / collector's issues regarding specific cards and other MeCCG products: is this one especially valuable? what's in this box?; is this a fair trade?

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Thorf

Which language and which set has the best print quality?

Post by Thorf » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:46 am

Lately I've been wondering: which language has the best print quality for each set?  And which set has the best print quality overall?

So far I have seen only English and Japanese sets, but I have a number of impressions:

- The later English sets are better than the earlier ones.
- For METW: (Best) Japanese Limited > Japanese Unlimited > English Limited > English Unlimited (Worst)
- Generally, black border cards seem to have more vivid colours than blue border.
- The Challenge Decks probably have the most vivid colours overall.

I'd be very interested to hear your impressions about this issue, especially regarding all the other languages.  If I do decide to collect another language, it will probably be due to print quality rather than anything else.

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Finnish METW > All other METW  :D

(I sent you a few Finnish cards, if you get a chance compare them to the English and JP versions side by side)

_nauku_

Post by _nauku_ » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:41 pm

Offtopic:

That's true also when compared finnish players to all other nationalities  :wink:
Council of Barad-dur website www.meccg.net/cob

Thorf

Post by Thorf » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:18 pm

tbadiuk wrote:Finnish METW > All other METW  :D

(I sent you a few Finnish cards, if you get a chance compare them to the English and JP versions side by side)
Ah, great!  Thanks, Ted.  :D  Between you and Roberto I am getting to see samples of quite a few languages.
_nauku_ wrote:Offtopic:

That's true also when compared finnish players to all other nationalities  :wink:
I'm a "Finn" (of a sort)...  does that count?   :wink:

melkor_morgoth75

Post by melkor_morgoth75 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:22 am

Well,

in my humble opinion, Dutch hazards are the BEST ever printed. Their white layout on the text box is amazing and the quality is excellent as Japanese, finnish and german.

Just my 2 cents,

mm75

Thorsten the Traveller

Post by Thorsten the Traveller » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:40 pm

I'll ad my 2 cents to that!  :D The white of the text box brings out better the colours of the picture. There's nothing like a Dutch nazgul...
personally I find Japanese/english/spanish/italian/french rather pale (for many cards, certainly not all), compared to german/dutch/finnish.
'Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

melkor_morgoth75

Post by melkor_morgoth75 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:59 pm

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:I'll ad my 2 cents to that!  :D The white of the text box brings out better the colours of the picture. There's nothing like a Dutch nazgul...
personally I find Japanese/english/spanish/italian/french rather pale (for many cards, certainly not all), compared to german/dutch/finnish.
Hello Eric!

Years since our last chat ... how u doing mate? Yep, i agree with you but I guess about japanese, u're speaking about the UL edition, cause the limited edition has the same quality/brightness as dutch :-)

Cheers mate!!!

mm75

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:48 pm

Hmmm...the Dutch METW is the one language I don't have yet!   :lol:  

I've been meaning to buy a set of Dutch METW.  I keep waiting for the Euro to go down but it keeps going up!   :cry:

Thorsten the Traveller

Post by Thorsten the Traveller » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:50 pm

hello Marco! tutto bene qui, haven't seen you around much since you got married eh  :wink:

well japanese metw ltd may be fine I don't know (just have few cards of this set), but I find metd and medm japanese of less quality than the german one for sure.

ciao
'Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Thorf

Post by Thorf » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:32 am

I've found that there is considerable variation in Japanese METD and MEDM cards.  A lot of them are excellent, but unfortunately a significant amount are all faded and really pretty awful.

Regarding METW, I've only really seen Japanese and English so far, but the best of those is definitely Limited Japanese.  Unlimited Japanese is next, as it is easily better than Limited English despite the blue borders.  Last of all comes Unlimited English, which was really pretty bad.

Among the English sets, the print-quality in MEAS, MEWH and MEBA was pretty high throughout - to the point where I haven't really noticed much variations within those sets, and the cards look fine side by side.  MELE was also good if I remember right.  METD had some strangeness, although the colours were mostly okay, and MEDM probably falls somewhere in between METD and MELE in quality.

Do you agree with my assessment?

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention that I think overall the Challenge Decks have the absolute best print quality.  It's a shame that the grey borders don't look as nice as black borders, but the art is amazing.  Alatar looks like a completely redrawn painting, and it's not the only one.

One last thing: has anyone else noticed that the Balrog cards have slightly smaller corners??

Leon

Post by Leon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:58 am

I heard at some point that all the English METW cards are fainted somewhat and that the German set was adjusted to make the colours brighter again. For the Dutch cards the same pictures as with German were used and they look even better somehow.

I got some Dutch cards: Balrog, Nazgul, Mouth of Sauron look so much more impressive than English. It may be that the Challenge deck pictures are slightly better, but there the black border kicks in indeed.

Shapeshifter

Post by Shapeshifter » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:33 pm

As far as I remember the english cards from MEDM onwards were printed like all the german and dutch? at Carta Mundi in Belgium when ICE recognized how much better the german METW and METD cards were.
Though I think somehow the english MEDM are still worse than the german versions.