The White Hand - how many boxes?

All trader / collector's issues regarding specific cards and other MeCCG products: is this one especially valuable? what's in this box?; is this a fair trade?

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Thorf

The White Hand - how many boxes?

Post by Thorf » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:53 am

Hello.  Some of you may remember me from a couple of years ago.  Unfortunately shortly after I posted I had a rather traumatic incident with missing luggage in which a significant proportion of my MECCG cards were ruined.  It has taken me this long to get back to collecting, but I'm once again looking to finish my collection (English and Japanese cards only at this stage).

In that regard, I recently realised how little I have of The White Hand set - it seems I have only a few packs' worth of cards.  So I'm thinking of buying a box or two.

There are only 47 rare cards (27 R3 and 20 R2), and each box includes 72.  My question is: are you likely to get the full set (or nearly the full set) from one box?  Statistically it doesn't seem unlikely to me that you'd get all but a few cards - or all the cards with a little luck.  But I'd like to hear from people with experience just to be sure.

The other question that is hovering in my mind is whether it might be best just to get two boxes anyway, since that would give a better set for playing with.  Is it viable to play a fallen wizard with just one box?  Is 2 boxes enough to scrape together a full play set with some trading?  And for that matter is trading of the White Hand set done very much?  It seems like it's so easy to get the whole set...

I would much appreciate any information you might have on this matter.

Thanks for reading!

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:49 pm

If you're looking for a complete set of WH I'd just buy that.  You can find on ebay complete sets of WH for sale usually.  You could just buy boxes, but there's also sealed complete sets for sale occasionally.

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:50 pm

I think with one box you pretty much get all the rare cards.  You get 2 rares per pack and as I recall there aren't any really rare cards like there are in Against the Shadow.  You may want 2 boxes for purposes of playing though.

Thorf

Post by Thorf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:29 am

Thank you for the quick responses.

Based on your advice and the prices, it sounds like I should go for 2 boxes.  My first goal is definitely getting the set, but I'd like to have the chance to play a game someday too - I've never played as a fallen wizard yet.

These days my collection strategy is to go for play sets by collecting each set in different languages, but I haven't seen White Hand available in anything but English.  Which probably means it's prohibitively expensive, so I'll probably just go with an English play-set.  Two boxes should be more than enough to put that together, with the help of a little trading.

(Actually postage is another factor here - I'm already ordering one box plus a couple of other things, and the postage for an extra box is not that much more.  As for the full set, it ends up being not much more for two boxes, with the added bonus that I get the fun of opening the packs and trading for anything I don't get.)

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:22 am

(EDIT: Didn't notice you were going for a play set, in that cases boxes may make sense assuming you don't mind a little trading!  :) )

It's much cheaper to buy complete sets in most cases on Ebay.  For example, the WH (English) set goes for about $60 + shipping.  You can also pick up a French MELE set on Ebay for $70 + shipping.  You'll probably pay way more if you buy boosters.  For Spanish cards, you can find some good deals on www.ebay.es as well.   Search on keyword "SATM" though if you want to find anything!  :D

Ted