Cards with different Art by Pascal Yung

All trader / collector's issues regarding specific cards and other MeCCG products: is this one especially valuable? what's in this box?; is this a fair trade?

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Shapeshifter

Cards with different Art by Pascal Yung

Post by Shapeshifter » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:00 am

I was just browsing the pages of Pascal Yung http://perso.orange.fr/pascal.yung.illu ... emeccg.htm.
There were two cards that made me wonder: alternative versions of Ringil (even different card text) and Halfling Stealth.
As far as I know these cards were never published. But does anybody know if they were ever intended to be?

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:36 am

I emailed the artist yesterday but have not heard anything yet in regards to more information.  I'll post if he replies.

Ted

The Lidless Eye

Post by The Lidless Eye » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:56 pm

A lot of the time, artwork was commissioned and then never used.  Either because the card text or game mechanics may have changed during the time between when the artwork was commisssioned and when the actual artwork was submitted to ICE.  Alternatively, the art director may have felt the artwork wasn't appropriate for the card.  I know that Randy Asplund had a couple of pieces commissioned and never used.

http://www.randyasplund.com/browse/cards/midearth.html

I would guess the same thing happened here.

Shapeshifter

Post by Shapeshifter » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:21 am

The Lidless Eye wrote:I would guess the same thing happened here.
Yes, that would make sense.
It would be nice, however, if we get an official answer from the artist.

I wish I could properly read the text on the Ringil version. But I guess it reads
Greater Item, 4 MP, 2 CP: Unique. Weapon. +2 to prowess to a maximum of 9 (+4 to prowess to a maximum of 12 and -2 to strikes body against a Dragon or Drake strike).
This is would be the exact text of Wormsbane. Interesting...

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:23 pm

Perhaps Wormsbane would have been called Ringil, had the Germans not printed another Ringil by then?
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Shapeshifter

Post by Shapeshifter » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:53 pm

Gwaihir wrote:Perhaps Wormsbane would have been called Ringil, had the Germans not printed another Ringil by then?
Did they? IIRC the special german promos first appeared approximately together with the german version of Dark Minions. Wormsbane was already printed by then. But I might be wrong.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:24 pm

Hmm.. you're probably right. I haven't seen or heard of those before Dark Minions was around either. (I wasn't closely into the German scene in those days though.)
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.