Trade advice?

All trader / collector's issues regarding specific cards and other MeCCG products: is this one especially valuable? what's in this box?; is this a fair trade?

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

chaos butterfly

Trade advice?

Post by chaos butterfly » Wed May 02, 2007 8:33 am

I've never successfully traded cards before (I got ripped off once by a guy who said he had Shadowfax for me but never sent it, and I've never tried to trade since) But I'd like to, and I signed up with Trade Cards Online and found a potential trader with cards I want.

I have these two cards that he wants:

1 Sacrifice of Form [Rare], METW / ME, in English [Limited Edition (black border)]
  1 The Arkenstone [Rare], METW / ME, in English [Limited Edition (black border)]

And he has these cards that I want:

1 Eyes of Mandos [Rare3], MEDM / ME, in English
  1 Pass the Doors of Dol Guldur [Rare2], MEDM / ME, in English
  1 Siege [Rare], METW / ME, in English [Limited]
  1 Snowstorm [Rare], METW / ME, in English [Limited]
  1 Spider of the Môrlat [Rare2], MEDM / ME, in English
  1 The Iron Crown [Promotional], METW / ME, in English [Promo]
  1 Thief [Rare], METW / ME, in English [Limited]
  1 Tribal Totem [Rare3], MEDM / ME, in English

He offered me
  1 Eyes of Mandos [Rare3], MEDM / ME, in English
  1 Tribal Totem [Rare3], MEDM / ME, in English
  1 The Iron Crown [Promotional], METW / ME, in English [Promo]

For my two METW rares. In the absence of any advice I'm reluctant to trade two METW rares for two MEDM rares and a promo. I'm just not sure what to counter with. While I'd like to trade one on one, I thought maybe 2 of the 3 METW rares (Siege, Snowstorm, Thief) is too much for my two cards. Can anyone suggest a fairer trade, say one of those three + other cards?
Last edited by chaos butterfly on Wed May 02, 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leon

Post by Leon » Wed May 02, 2007 10:07 am

In general non-unique rares are worth more than unique and cards from some sets are worth more than other sets. Limited cards are worth more than unlimited. Perhaps you could look at a few sites that sell cards on Chris Cables site http://www.meccg.net/trading/ and compare prizes to get some impression of what would be fair.

Also I do not know if you are more a collector or a player of the game. As player you do not need the Iron Crown or Tribal Totem, since you never use those cards.

chaos butterfly

Post by chaos butterfly » Wed May 02, 2007 11:03 am

I guess I'm more of a collector up to now, although I'd like to play too. I'd like to try and collect one of every card, but I'd also like to be mindful of keeping the rare cards I have that are useful multiples for a play deck. It's very hard and complicated though. At least I find it so, that's why I was hoping to get some advice.

Leon

Post by Leon » Wed May 02, 2007 11:48 am

I would ask him for 2 out of these: Snowstorm, Siege, Thief.

If he does not want that suggest 1 of those and Spider of the Morlat or 1 of those and any 2 of the rest. That is better than the offer you have now.

Sort of a ranking in game quality and rarity:
top: Snowstorm, Siege, Thief (useful non unique)
middle: Spider of the Morlat (because it is unique)
low: Eyes of Mandos, Pass the Doors of Dol Guldur
even lower: Tribal Totem, The Iron Crown (because they are useless)

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Wed May 02, 2007 4:12 pm

I'd suggest asking for one of the METW rares (siege, snowstorm, or thief) and one of the dark minion R2 rares or Eyes of Mandos.  Even though it is only an R3 it is non-unique and a useful card. You might be also able to get him to throw in the promo, but maybe not.  While both your rares are from METW Limited his 3 METW rares are non-unique and more valuable.  Even though Sac of Form is non-unique, it isn't at the same level as the others.  Thief is probably by price the most expensive of the cards by quite a bit.

In general I'd rank the desirability of the cards similarly to Leon although I'd put Eyes of Mandos and Pass the Doors of Dol Guldur on the same level as Spider of the Morlat.  

Good Luck

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Wed May 02, 2007 5:43 pm

I'd personally up these two a level in that ranking: Pass the Doors of Dol Guldur and The Iron Crown. The first because it is a non unique with a certain coolness around it, the latter because it is a promo, which still means it's been circulated less than the normal cards. This is especially true for The Iron Crown, as it wasn't sent out as consistently by ICE as most of the others. (My wild guess is that they spread them far and wide initially, given that it was their "company name card" and as a result ran out before they started the steady flow towards actual MeCCG players..)

To make this ranking useful, you IMHO ought to rank the other two cards on the table too.
    Sacrifice of Form: top/middle - great card, but less frequently used x2 or even x3 in deck as the really top cards
    The Arkenstone: low - ok, but very specific use only
So IMHO asking for two top cards wouldn't be fair.

The cross trading of numbers (2 for 3) and sets (METW limited, MEDM, promo's) tends to make value assessment very personal. For that reason many people try to avoid it if they can; it's so much simpler to agree and know you still feel good about it later if you can trade a top card from set X for a top card from set X, a low value card from set Y for a low value card from set Y, etc.  But well.. if you each have but a few rares from eachothers wants, is it worth dropping a chance to trade for?
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.