Cards question: METW rares slightly faded?

All trader / collector's issues regarding specific cards and other MeCCG products: is this one especially valuable? what's in this box?; is this a fair trade?

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

enginekid

Cards question: METW rares slightly faded?

Post by enginekid » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:03 am

I am new to the forums and sorry but i really know nothing about how to play this game, i just collected it for fun.  I have only METW Limited Edition cards.  They have been in good, dark, cool, protective storage since 1995, never been played with either, just cracked open boosters and starters, put them into UltraPro sleeves in a large binder, and stored them away and forgot abuot them.  I recently thougt about them and brought them out to look at and notice many of the rares seem to be slightly lighter in hue on the cardface but mainly the edge border area as if they are slightly faded.  Not every rare but many of them when compared with the non-rares.  Its not glaringly noticceable, but i wonder if anyone else has seen this before?

Eyelid

Post by Eyelid » Tue May 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Hello from a fellow Canadian (I'm from Toronto but living in France now)!

I'm not too sure about the faded aspect of rares only, but what I can tell you is that I also have cards from the French Limited Edition of the base set, the Wizards, and when you compare the French and the English version of the same card (regardless of rarity) you can definitely see that the French version is much more crisp, the colors are more vivid.

I recall reading something about this issue on an old newsgroup: it seems the scanned pictures of the English version that were sent to the printer in Belgium were not of the best quality.
When Hexagonal (the French publisher of the French version) was working on the translation they received the original templates, and the scanned images they sent off to the printer were of much better quality.

If you're interested I can send you a few copies of some French cards to illustrate my point.

Bye for now!

Leon

Post by Leon » Wed May 09, 2007 7:32 am

In a talk with one of the artists at a game convention I heard that all of the images of the English the Wizards set were artificially faded, because some editor liked the look better that way.

If you get your hands on cards from the German or Dutch set you can see the way the images were meant, because they tried to remove the 'damage' done on the images. I do not know anything else about cards faded.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Re: Cards question: METW rares slightly faded?

Post by Gwaihir » Thu May 10, 2007 12:39 pm

enginekid wrote:I recently thougt about them and brought them out to look at and notice many of the rares seem to be slightly lighter in hue on the cardface but mainly the edge border area as if they are slightly faded.  Not every rare but many of them when compared with the non-rares.  Its not glaringly noticceable, but i wonder if anyone else has seen this before?
I think you're describing variations in the printing process. Not every copy of a card looks exactly alike. I find this particular effect most noticeable when comparing the blackish template of hazard cards from one card to the next.

If you opened up series of boosters bought all at once, you likely got most of your rares from the same print sheet or a few sheets printed in short succession. Apparently that was somewhat faded bunch by comparison.

Another one: if you've had Dragons cards from different sources (i.e. likely printed far apart) going through your hands, you might have noticed how the back of a large chunk of the Dragons series has a far more matt lacquer layer than most other cards. It even feels rougher to the touch.

Or.. Framsburg, minion version. Over half the copies I have seen has a printing flaw in the title bar, somewhat like a white ~. Some damage to the plate or dirt on the transfer roll seems to have kept the black ink from catching on there.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.