Misprints

All trader / collector's issues regarding specific cards and other MeCCG products: is this one especially valuable? what's in this box?; is this a fair trade?

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Thrain II

Misprints

Post by Thrain II » Sat May 22, 2004 9:14 pm

Hi @ all,

I was thinking about the meaning of "misprint". What do you call a misprint?

1) A card with a different artwork (regarding the "original" version) like the dutch Lure of Nature / dutch Great Ship / dutch The Nazgul Are Abroad?

2) A UNIQUE card which is a REAL misprint? I have seen cards with one half of a resourse card and another half of a hazard card for example, the cut of the card was completely wrong.

I value the second type of card much higher than the first one. Take the german "White Mountains". It says "Short Event" instead of the german word "Kurzfristiges Ereignis". Is that a misprint??? I wouldn't pay a Cent for such a card... :?

On the other hand I just got a japanese misprint with a wrong cut: It is the Isle of the Ulond but the lower border of the card is cut off while you can see another resource card on the upper border of the card. I think such a card is a REAL MISPRINT, isn't it? :roll:

Thrain II
Admiral Thrain II, G.A.B. White Mithril Team Leader, Council of Elrond

Strider

Post by Strider » Sat May 22, 2004 10:16 pm

Yeah, the 2nd is more of a mispring imo.
"You can't stop the signal."

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sun May 23, 2004 10:23 pm

An interesting misprint in my opinion has:
-> something printed on it that shouldn't be there at all and
-> a small print run, i.e. it was either done wrong for a couple of sheets during the printing process or it was a setup error so badly wrong that it was changed before the main production run.

So what does not fit that definition are:
-> differences between editions, whether a mistake (0 MP Slayer, Daelomin art work on Lure of Nature -- btw: prolly rotated it to fix that issue and then put it back on the wrong card..) or (probably) intentional ones such as the cut of the art work on German Elves of Lindon.
-> miscuts or other production errors (such as missing ink or black / colored spots). I don't think they're fun at all, just production errors. In fact, I generally throw the miscuts I have away. Should I save them for people interested? If so, how miscut do they have to be before they are insteresting and not just badly cut.

What I do consider interesting / funny:
-> The two Spanish MEAS cards that got the wrong back (a resource with site back, a site with eye back).
Last edited by Gwaihir on Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

melkor_morgoth75

Post by melkor_morgoth75 » Wed May 26, 2004 11:32 am

I would divide in 2 categories:

- misprint (like the spanish all the bells bla bla bla)
- badprint (like the japanese palm to palm, the dutch thelor's ring, etc...)

Of course the misprint are much valuable for me, while the others are "common" badprint cards :wink:

Just my thought,

mm75

The Dead Dwarf

Post by The Dead Dwarf » Wed May 26, 2004 2:06 pm

Hmm,

I have a bunch of DM cards that have the colors all messed up.

The resources have a really 'pink' tinge to them and the hazards are much much lighter than normal. Looks like the wrong ink got into the print run, all the cards came out of the same booster box.

Are these misprints? Guess so. Are they 'valuable'? Who'd want a bunch of cards like that??

Lots of my balrog cards have black lines on the edges, where they've been miscut, sometimes the card is clearly visably 'off-centre' - are these valuable? Personally I wish I had 'perfect' cards instead!

Nigel

Thrain II

Misprints

Post by Thrain II » Wed May 26, 2004 8:39 pm

Well, sounds like everyone has his own opinion concerning that topic... :?

I think we can't say in general which misprints are good = expensive and which are not = trash. :wink:

In fact there are A LOT of traders (especially from Spain) looking for "misprints" like dutch Lure of Nature, dutch Great Ship, the two spanish cards with wrong back and so on.

I agree with Wim that cards like Slayer (0 MP) and german Elves of Lindon should not be called a misprint. Nevertheless I think that miscuts are VERY valueble IF they are really bad. :roll:
That means IMHO that you must see more than one card on that misprint. If you can see a part of a resource + a part of a hazard on one card that is a real misprint. I have sold cards like these for more than 20 Euro each. The "best" misprint I have ever seen was a half to half misprint with both resource and hazard on it. I was not able to get some of these cards with offering One Ring's for it!!! 8O

BTW, I have send a dutch Great Ship to Audrey Corman and she signed it for me. Nevertheless she was really suprised what ICE did with her artwork. :wink:

Thrain II :gimli:
Admiral Thrain II, G.A.B. White Mithril Team Leader, Council of Elrond

tip_922

Post by tip_922 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:23 pm

Question??

I have a limited edition Daelomin on which the picture is rotated 90 degrees to the right. Other than this the card is perfect, good enough in fact that I did not notice the misprint right away. Would this be considered an actual misprint or just a bad card?? :?: :?:

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:42 pm

AFAIK all limited Daelomins are like that. So it is just as 'unusual' as a limited Slayer with 0 MP, ie not at all... :wink:

tip_922

Post by tip_922 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:46 pm

thanks for the info.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:46 pm

And it seems that for the Dutch edition they tried to fix that: they rotated the image properly and put it back.. on Lure of Nature :oops: :roll::P
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Doomfarer

Cool miscuts

Post by Doomfarer » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:22 pm

I got the following miscut cards. I think they are cool. :D

http://img51.exs.cx/img51/9959/METW-misprints.jpg

Is this what you're talking about as #2?

Oakenshield

Post by Oakenshield » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:47 am

Hi all!!!

I think a good example of a real misprint is METW Lim "Cave Drake".Check the artist name,David Deitrick is the correct one:

http://www.meccg.net/trading/cave_drake1.jpg
http://www.meccg.net/trading/cave_drake2.jpg

This is an "original" production error,which was corrected in the SAME edition(METW Lim).This means that only a small number of these cards can be found,and that's what makes the wrong card interesting and rare :D .Corrected-normal card is not something special,though :? .

Any comments/ideas :?:
"Out lept the King under the mountain..."-The Hobbit

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:41 pm

Oakenshield wrote:This is an "original" production error,which was corrected in the SAME edition(METW Lim).This means that only a small number of these cards can be found,and that's what makes the wrong card interesting and rare :D .
Was it corrected? I am not so sure. Cave-drake is a CA2 card. On the sheets I was able to look at for verification thus far there is one Kaja Foglio and one David Deitrick Cave-drake (making each version CA1). So, as far as I know half the METW English limited Cave-drakes have that error.

Now, for the Dutch edition they went on to correct that error in true Daelomin -> Lure of Nature style: both copies of Cave-drake are attributed to Kaja Foglio. :(

In case you are by now wondering what Kaja Foglio art looks like: check out Pûkel-men.

Oakenshield

Post by Oakenshield » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:29 am

Wim!

Hi there!Ok,guess I was wrong.Probably your info is correct.I am a little disappointed now with this card :cry: .

Obvious difference between Foglio and Deitrick,how did this happened... :roll:

Thank's!
Cheerz!-Kostas.
"Out lept the King under the mountain..."-The Hobbit

Ûvatha

Post by Ûvatha » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:16 pm

Gwaihir wrote:What I do consider interesting / funny:
-> The two Spanish MEAS cards that got the wrong back (a resource with site back, a site with eye back).
I have the Against the Shadow site with the eye on the back ("Bosque Viejo" (Old Forrest)). Does anyone knows the price of this card or would be interested in trading it ??
Darth Troilo on G.A.B. White Mithril Team.