Japanese Promo Cards

All trader / collector's issues regarding specific cards and other MeCCG products: is this one especially valuable? what's in this box?; is this a fair trade?

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Thorf

Post by Thorf » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:12 pm

Okay, I looked into it further and found that you are correct - you only had to buy one figure.  I had great trouble trying to make out the writing on the scan.  :?  However, that's one figure for one card.  The figures cost about 1500 yen each, and were apparently very hard to find.

Moreover (and this is the real killer) Takao Suzuki mentions that the promotion was not widely advertised - specifically, he says that he learned of it only through a certain hobby shop, and he wonders how (or if!) people found out about it in any other way.

In any case, it seems that we have a promotion that was likely little known, based on hard to find figures that were (at least according to Takao Suzuki) not very good/desirable, at a comparatively high cost per card.  Hence his assertion that there are very few Black Arrows in circulation.

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:52 am

I assume you can read Japanese!?   I can't, and bablefish won't work on those pages, I've tried!  :)   Is there anything else written there that is interesting?

For Black Arrow, yeah - it's really rare.  I haven't seen one for trade for a very long time.  It's hard to say how much rarer the Fury is, but I know for Fury there are also very, very few copies in existance.  In either case it's almost impossible to find copies of either card.  Heck, I'm having troubles finding a Japanese Neeker Breekers / Iron Crown!  (need to replace damaged copies)

Ted

Thorf

Post by Thorf » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:35 pm

tbadiuk wrote:I assume you can read Japanese!?   I can't, and bablefish won't work on those pages, I've tried!  :)   Is there anything else written there that is interesting?
Yes.  I've lived in Japan since 2000, and my wife is Japanese.  Not that either of those are solid qualifications for being able to speak Japanese.  (Though I do have one of those too.  :wink: )

As for whether there is anything else interesting - well, yes, his site is quite cool.  But you may know most of it already, I'm not sure.  A lot of Takao Suzuki's page is concerned with rules, strategies, decks - the usual stuff.  If there's anything specific you want to read, I'd be happy to summarise it for you.
For Black Arrow, yeah - it's really rare.  I haven't seen one for trade for a very long time.  It's hard to say how much rarer the Fury is, but I know for Fury there are also very, very few copies in existance.  In either case it's almost impossible to find copies of either card.  Heck, I'm having troubles finding a Japanese Neeker Breekers / Iron Crown!  (need to replace damaged copies)
I've been trying to get in touch with some members of the Japanese MECCG community, but Akira Komachi still hasn't responded (even though I wrote him in Japanese :( ), while Takao Suzuki replied promptly but unfortunately it seems his work has become rather busy and he doesn't really have time for MECCG these days.  :cry:

There are some significant problems with the Japanese scene, I think.  Primarily it's the priority given to work by most people here, but the lack of cards must surely also be an issue.  Even on Yahoo Auctions the supply seems to be either slowly drying up, or getting prohibitively expensive.  Either way it probably spells the end for Japanese collectors of MECCG.

(Of course I am somewhat removed from all this, since I live rather far from Tokyo.  In my area there has never been an MECCG scene at all, as far as I know.)

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:48 am

I've tried to search the yahoo auctions, seems impossible if you don't know Japanese though!  :lol:

Are there still Japanese boxes of METW/TD/DM for sale out there on Yahoo?  I wouldn't mind buying UL boosters as I never put together a METW UL Japanese set (I only have the BB METW + METD/MEDM sets).

Speaking of community, there was a thread on I think the...teacup BBS?..web site I found ages ago.  I figured out enough how to post but didn't really get much of a reply.  Can't find the link anymore.

Ted

melkor_morgoth75

Post by melkor_morgoth75 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:01 am

Just as an update regarding promo ... i'm back trading again after LOOOONG time  :D Yep, i still need some cards and just restart trading again.

Japanese Black Arrow has been printed in many copies, where those copies (apart the ones who gets them) are finished when the game is dead is not known. But they where printed in a larger number than Fury of the Iron Crown which is actually the rarest card in the world. As far as i know only 7 people has a copy of that card, so u can guess the rarity  :wink:

Other cards unfortunately not findable anymore are the italian fixed cards. Many (well, something more a dozen) collectors have them ... but if a new one needs to begin from scratch an Italian collection he/she has to face the fact that they ARE NOT AVAILABLE. There is no way to get them anymore ... just to let u know, in the last 3 years i was able to grab only 3 italian fixed cards: Bag-End, Mount Gram & Wellinghall. They are actually the only spare cards i have...

Just my 2 cents,

mm75

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:56 pm

Hi Marco!

Ah yes, Italian fixed - I think I've bugged you at least twice for those in the last year!  :lol:

Actually, I was able to find 3 sealed Italian starters on Ebay about 6 months ago. Only thing was two starters were the same fixed pack so I have duplicates!

On the Fury - I just got an email from Akira Komachi today!  He has informed me that he traded away a total of about 10 copies of Fury of the Iron Crown (JP).  Takao Suzuki also had two copies and he traded his one extra away.  Given this knoweledge, that makes about 15 or so copies of Fury.  I'm going to ask Akira if anybody else had Fury's that they traded but if not that makes a *very* low # of copies that exist.

PS: I need that copy of Mount Gram you have for my collection!  :lol:

Ted