Japanese Promo Cards

All trader / collector's issues regarding specific cards and other MeCCG products: is this one especially valuable? what's in this box?; is this a fair trade?

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Thorf

Japanese Promo Cards

Post by Thorf » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:11 pm

From the thread about Promo and Special cards:
Japanese Promo Cards

These are the Japanese promo cards (card title and card text are in Japanese):

Black Arrow
Fatty Bolger
Fury of the Iron Crown
Neeker-breekers
The Iron Crown
I'm trying to find out where these all came from.  Can anyone help?  So far I have uncovered the following:
  • でぶちゃんボルジャー (Fatty Bolger) - bonus card in the Japanese 指輪物語CCGプレイヤーズガイド ("Lord of the Rings CCG Player's Guide") book.
  • 鉄の王冠 (The Iron Crown) and コウベサセムシ (Neeker-breekers) - obtainable by sending 10 Japanese site or region cards to Yanoman (a Japanese company) and specifying which you wanted.
  • 黒い矢 (Black Arrow) - obtained through a promotion involving collecting Middle-earth figures.
It seems that all these methods are out of date, of course, though I have been able to find the unopened strategy guide with relative ease.

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:32 pm

Fury of the Iron crown is almost impossible to get a hold of.  Most of them were destroyed or something.  Only about 20-50 of them are left I've heard.

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:30 pm

Akira Komanchi.  It's been a # of years so I'm probably mangling the spelling.  He was the netrep out there.  I got two copies.  One I kept, one I traded away.  Probably the hardest to get promo period at this point.

Ted

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:03 pm

I think he meant how they were originally distributed, not how you personally got a copy. :lol:
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:52 pm

Hi Wim,

Oops!  I should have been more clear - Akira was the only one that ever had any of those, he was the only source!  I think he said he was able to grab a 'few dozen" of them, the rest were detroyed.  I got 2, many other "hard core" collectors back in the day pestered him for copies.  I think this card may be rarest MECCG promo.

(thinking back, I actually traded him for ALL of the Japanese cards (all 3 sets plus promo's) in 3 or 4 big trades (my English cards for his Japanese) during the course of a year or two.   )

Ted

Thorf

Post by Thorf » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:03 am

A (very) belated thanks for all the replies.

I have thus far only managed to track down the Japanese Fatty Bolger, although I did manage to get quite a few of it.  It seems to be the only one that is still readily available - obviously due to its nature as a freebie in a book.

But I wonder if there is much interest in getting this card.  I wonder how much it is worth.

Anyway, I have tried to contact Akira Komachi, but he hasn't replied to my e-mail yet.  I know he's still around because I've seen him bidding on Yahoo Auctions.  Unfortunately he doesn't have a page at Chris's trading site, so I am dubious whether he will want to trade/whether I'll have anything worth trading with him.  Fury of the Iron Crown seems well out of my league, but I would like to see Neeker-breekers and The Iron Crown, because I missed out on those in English too.  (I wish I had known at the time that all I needed to do was send off to ICE for them!  Ah well, perhaps I can trade someone for them still.)

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:48 pm

Thorf wrote:A (very) belated thanks for all the replies.

I have thus far only managed to track down the Japanese Fatty Bolger, although I did manage to get quite a few of it.  It seems to be the only one that is still readily available - obviously due to its nature as a freebie in a book.

But I wonder if there is much interest in getting this card.  I wonder how much it is worth.

Anyway, I have tried to contact Akira Komachi, but he hasn't replied to my e-mail yet.  I know he's still around because I've seen him bidding on Yahoo Auctions.  Unfortunately he doesn't have a page at Chris's trading site, so I am dubious whether he will want to trade/whether I'll have anything worth trading with him.  Fury of the Iron Crown seems well out of my league, but I would like to see Neeker-breekers and The Iron Crown, because I missed out on those in English too.  (I wish I had known at the time that all I needed to do was send off to ICE for them!  Ah well, perhaps I can trade someone for them still.)
I know kikeee sells the book for around 60 Euros or so.  There are quite a few people looking for Japanese Fatty Bolgers, but I don't know many who actually pay for them.  Most trade for it.  I got 2 over this past weekend.

Thorf

Post by Thorf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:38 am

Interesting.  Well as it happens I'm more interested in trading them than selling them, because there are still a lot of holes in my collection.  I'm just wondering if it's worth trying to get hold of a few more, really.

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:27 am

Black Arrow is up there with Fury these days.  I haven't seen a Black Arrow for trade  (or sale) in a very long time.  I think though that there probably exist more Black Arrow's but it's hard to be sure.

Also - The next card that seems to have 'disappeared' is the Dutch promo version of the Test of Form.  Dirk Doctor used to sell/trade these quite reasonably...10 years ago... :lol: but now I see them on a lot of people's "Want/Need" list but never any for sale or trade.  

(Note: To make things even more maddening for the completest, there are 2 version of Dutch Test of Form, one *with* the gold stamp, and one *without*).

Ted

Ringbearer

Post by Ringbearer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:32 pm

Funny, I just traded one without at LURE and found another today while sorting my binders.

Dutch test of form that is.
Last edited by Ringbearer on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Player of killer hazards no-one else ever dares to play :D

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:02 pm

I saw Wanja trade a Japanese Black Arrow at LURE....  That was the first one I'd seen.

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:49 pm

I got my Dutch Test of form without gold and it's been sought after.

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:05 am

Ringbearer wrote:Funny, I just traded one without at LURE and found another today while sorting my binders.

Dutch test of form that is.
I just sent you a PM!   :D   Not sure if it made it though?  Trying to figure out the different between "Sentbox" and "Outbox" !   :lol:

Ted

Thorf

Post by Thorf » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:26 am

tbadiuk wrote:Black Arrow is up there with Fury these days.  I haven't seen a Black Arrow for trade  (or sale) in a very long time.  I think though that there probably exist more Black Arrow's but it's hard to be sure.
Takao Suzuki says on his promo page that there are only thought to be about 30 Black Arrow promo cards in Japan now.  So it sounds like it could be just as rare.  This is the one you had to buy lots of figures to get, after all.
Also - The next card that seems to have 'disappeared' is the Dutch promo version of the Test of Form.  Dirk Doctor used to sell/trade these quite reasonably...10 years ago... :lol: but now I see them on a lot of people's "Want/Need" list but never any for sale or trade.  
Shame, it's a beautiful card.  I'd really like to get one someday, although the fact that John Howe never got paid for the art puts me off a bit.

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:06 am

Wow, I didn't know you had to buy multiple figures, I thought it was only one!  

For the Dutch ToF, I agree, it's my favorite piece of artwork of all the MECCG cards.  

Ted