The Most Expensive Me Card In The World

All trader / collector's issues regarding specific cards and other MeCCG products: is this one especially valuable? what's in this box?; is this a fair trade?

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:28 pm

Earendil wrote:
Gwaihir wrote: so even if there is just one per sheet (unlikely), there must have been at least 1,000 printed.
I think there should have been *complete* sheets with Warlords back...
Sorry to confuse you. I was speaking of the Japanese Fury's.
I guess the mistake could have been the wrong association beetween a sheet of MECCG cards and a sheet of Warlords backs.... It is quite odd if there could have been a sheet of mixed backs (some MECCG and one or a few Warlords).
Yeah; printing is done one side at a time and they must have accidentally fed the wrong stack of sheets to the machine. If it were Magic backs (or something) that they mixed it up with, these cards would probably have been destroyed by the printing company right away, but since both were ICE products they either thought it fun to send some to ICE (most likely), or they never noticed till ICE pointed it out to them (less likely, but in this case there will be a BIG lot of these, as the stack of paper fed at once to such a machine is large).
I think the number of misprints is a multiple of 121 :wink:
As far as I know the Warlords backed cards are all decks for / from the English two-player starter set (with the light grey and white borders). This is a set of two 60 card decks, so 120 cards. The last position was most likely left blank (as it is on the fixed sheets) though there is a very slight chance it was used to print a promo or something.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Oakenshield

Post by Oakenshield » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:06 pm

Hi all :!:

Ciao Sergio!I think you would like to see the point of view of someone who only collects cards and doesn't play the game :idea: That's me :roll:

The basic point that makes a card/object precious to a collector is the small number of copies the card/object exists.Yes,no doubt,there are a lot of collectors who are specifically interested in cards with alternative artwork,but who would pay more than $0.50 maybe,if they were just commons :?: And who would trade his/her Italian Assasin for a Dutch Lure Of Nature with alternative Daelomin artwork,although he/she has the Assasin doublicated and collects only alternative-art cards :?:
So the prices or trade values for such cards are decided always having in mind how RARE is the card/object AND the "bonuses" it has(for example alternative artwork,artist signature,production-mistake-misprint,card condition etc.).
Now you still wonder who may pay such a price(or trade so hard...)???Just think that DO EXIST people who would give one of their eyes,to admir an Ansient Greek statue in their collection with the eye left 8O (and ofcourse their willingness to pay comes to millions of dollars 8O 8O 8O).A collector has only "Willingness To Get",not "Willingness To Pay".A collector may pay as much as he/she CAN AFFORD to get the precious object.Traders/sellers understand that,and a price/value is given to the card/object,so that the most hard-core collectors can afford it.This way,they get the highest price possible.
These prices serve collectors very well,although they have to pay more.How this happens :?: Well,imagine yourself looking like a mad for a Japanese Fury Of The Iron Crown,finally one copy appears on a sale/trade page and the price is $10.The card disappears as fast as it appeared,and you look the card in the hands of a gamer who uses it in a game,suffles it in the play deck destroying it,and when you ask him/her WHY :?: :?: :?: ,he/she says "I like to see opponent's face when I play THIS card!!!" :twisted: Ok,so he/she is just a posser who took your precious "Fury" for $10 and destroyed it's Mint condition,while you would pay up to $100!!! 8O
Do not compare a bidding with buying a card with a fixed price.I said collector will to pay a lot,but knows how to consider competition between bidders and will pay a lot IF NEEDED,not anyway :wink:
What I'm trying to tell you is that a rare object will be unavaillable if it's not expensive.So,you'd better check multiple traders/sellers when you want a card.That's the only way to FIND the card first(Which is the most important...)and choose the best price 8)
I guess trading for card you want would be worse for you than buying it,if you don't have a card that your partener-trader REEEALLY wants or he/she could sell it for a better price than the card you want to get...You may have 3xOne Ring English Lim to trade,but you wouldn't get a Ramaviva for all 3 of them,possibly :(

Any addition/ideas???

Cheerz!-Kostas.
"Out lept the King under the mountain..."-The Hobbit

Oakenshield

Post by Oakenshield » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:55 am

Hi all! :D

To help the forum:I have a copy of the Japanese "Fury Of The Iron Crown",too.Well,this way we may find out how many copies belong to members of this forum only(5 till now)...How about the copies that never left Japan :?:

Cheerz!
-Kostas.

Earendil

Post by Earendil » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:44 am

Hi Kostas :wink:

Well, I agree with your point of view (collection is "A Malady without Healing" :lol: :lol: :lol: ), but I still think that paying a card 100 Euros CASH or paying a card 100 Euros TRADING is different A LOT. Ok, I'm only a partial collector, 'cause I don't want to get ALL the cards but only some cards I decided were interesting to me, but I think a lot of people think as me: in example, I've traded a Beginners set from Moto_kublay for a 400$ value trade. Would I pay 400$ cash? Surely NOT, even if the set would have been mint. Probably I would have paid 1/3 (not more than 100-150$, and only if mint).

I know there will probably be a lot of people who would pay fully cash, but I didn't want to tell that there weren't; I was just saying that those are two different kind of values. You can not say "this is worth 400$" and expect that you will sell them at 400, usually. You could TRADE it for 400, but sell for far less.
On January, I was looking at 2 eBay auctions, Huida and Tumulario. There were more than 200 contacts each to the auctions, but the price didn't rise over 22$ (if I remeber well) and didn't pass reserve price (so the cards weren't sold out).
Well, I was ready to trade for 40-50$, but not to pay such a price. The cards didn't go, so I think a lot of people think as me.
"...And he said that if I had the cheek to make verses about Earendil in the house of Elrond, it was my affair. I suppose he was right :D"

Oakenshield

Post by Oakenshield » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:33 pm

Ciao Sergio!!! :D

Yes,I see your point and I agree!I'm always much happier when I have some card to offer than offering "cold" money for two reasons:

1)We are gamers/traders/collectors!We want cards,money profite comes second(maybe third :D :D :D )

2)A valuable card is like a credit!Once you have it,you don't need to save any money to buy a card you like!Furthermore,you may be lucky with your trades and achive better Trade-prices than Sale-prices,if your partener-trader is Ok with this!So thing get easier!!!

I would prefer to offer 100 Euros in cards,than 80 Euros in cash,maybe :wink: I may already have the cards,but I'll have to collect the money. :roll:

I'm sure most traders think like you and me,except for those who are millioners and 300 Euros for 5 cards means they stay home tonight,not spending this money drinking in the High-Sosiety club :wink:

Cheerz!-Kostas.

melkor_morgoth75

Post by melkor_morgoth75 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:15 am

Just to add me on the list ... i have a copy of the japanese "fury of the iron crown"  :wink:

mm75

PS: i'm actually looking for any collector who has finished ALL sets in any language with all promo ...  :twisted:

Thrain II

Japanese Fury of the Iron Crown

Post by Thrain II » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:08 am

PS: i'm actually looking for any collector who has finished ALL sets in any language with all promo ...
You are not alone  :lol:

Give it a bit more time...

Thrain II
Admiral Thrain II, G.A.B. White Mithril Team Leader, Council of Elrond

melkor_morgoth75

Re: Japanese Fury of the Iron Crown

Post by melkor_morgoth75 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:24 am

Thrain II wrote:
PS: i'm actually looking for any collector who has finished ALL sets in any language with all promo ...
You are not alone  :lol:

Give it a bit more time...

Thrain II
Eh eh ... i know Timo, i just wanted to point out that ACTUALLY i'm alone in this world and this has been written here now  :wink:

mm75

thorondor

Post by thorondor » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:54 am

but i won´t take very long to change this. right now i am missing exactly 8 cards ...

melkor_morgoth75

Post by melkor_morgoth75 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:08 am

Yes ... another friend is near ...  :D
But i will be the first forever ahahahahahah  :twisted:  :twisted:

mm75

Thrain II

Post by Thrain II » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:29 pm

But i will be the first forever ahahahahahah
Don't be so sure about this. I have met a lot of traders with unexpected tons of cards. You never know what is outside there...  :lol:

Thrain II

|Highwayman|

Post by |Highwayman| » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:50 pm

is Longbottom Leaf the new most expensive MECCG card?

link to ebay auction Mod edit: no thanks - but see comments here :)

melkor_morgoth75

Post by melkor_morgoth75 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:56 am

Hmmm, speaking about playing may be it's the hardest/most valuable card.

But ... as a collector, the japanese Fury of the Iron Crown is the MOST expensive without doubt. I'd pay much more than 50$ (actual Longbottom leaf price) for such card  :wink:

mm75

Thrain II

Post by Thrain II » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:22 am

I know a few traders who would pay 100 Euro for the Japanese Fury of the Iron Crown to complete their collection. Without a doubt the most expensive MECCG card of all.

Thrain II

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:55 am

I had this exact discussion with Patrick K. about 6-7 years ago. :)  I traded my 2nd Fury for about $80 worth of cards (One Ring + one of the Wolf Riders cards) for it.  I'd actually wish I had another one now as I've seen far many more Wolf Riders than Fury's on the market.  

As for the "set in all langauges" - I guess I *could* have been the first, but I just burnt out on it and stopped just short.  I'm only missing the Italian limited set and a French set (I think MELE? would have to check) which I could easily pick up.  I also have all the different dice, a few of collectable pins, CoL pin, Unexpected Party, the players guides, t-shirt, a ICE burning eye banner, gold and silver ICE (CoL?) coins, some other misc. bits.  I'm not really sure what is considered "finished" when it comes to this hobby.  :lol:   For example, I don't have the Wizard's ring prize, nor do I have a warlords backed set.  I just didn't bother with those (regreting not trading for the ring).  Plus there are still some items I'm fuzzy about, like rumours I heard long ago about 4 different versions of that Spanish site promo (it's been so long I can't even remember what it's called anymore!).

Ted