The Future of MECCG?

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

theCreecH

The Future of MECCG?

Post by theCreecH » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Hello all (and VastorPer),

A recent discussion within GCCG arose about the future of MECCG...if there is one.

What would it take to wrest control of the licence to produce new cards for MECCG?

Now, right now many of you are thinking "get real, it will never happen"...and I sympathize with that sentiment. However! Take a look at the history of another CCG called Shadowfist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowfist

If you read the above article at all or just skimmed through it quickly, you will note (or if you did not, then I am here to point it out) that Daedalus Games stopped printing cards for the game back in 1996. It seems this was a bad year for CCG's, because not long after MECCG went the way of the Dodo :(

BUT WAIT! Reading further down the article reveals that another company bought the rights (Z-Man Games) in 2000 and started producing more cards, bringing new life to a defunct CCG! Furthermore, two seperate companies have since obtained the rights and have produced cards!

It is feasable that someone...somewhere....with enough money, connections, political fanagling with the Tolkien Estate could do the impossible and BRING MECCG BACK FROM THE DEAD!

I sincerely hope that something like this happens, even if it is unlikely. There has been fabulous work on the Dream Card sets and Firstborn set and it would be great if those were brought into print.

Perhaps some balancing cards could be brought in against The Balrog eh?  8O :twisted:

Anyways...every year about this time I dig out my cards, I make decks. I tweak stuff around. I get input from the GCCG community. I try to play online but end up bangning my head against my keyboard (not that GCCG isn't a great program, it's just frustrating sometimes as a person who rarely uses the program to play and goes up against people who are intamately familiar with the program and breeze through their turn).

And I wonder...and hope: Will MECCG ever come back from the dead?

-theCreecH

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:19 pm

It's always possible.  I'm not going to be the one to do it, though, since I don't even have enough money to go to Worlds on any given year. :)

As a side note, the question is not whether there are cards to counter the Balrog (there are), but whether it is feasible to include such cards in your anti-minion portion.  It is deck space that is at a premium in most games, and one of the things that serves to keep Fallen Wizards from running the field is the extra 10-card sideboard a person can use against them.

Dior

Post by Dior » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:25 pm

Well, as Fantasy Flight Games just announced a new Lord of the Rings LCG (Living Card Game) I think the Tolkien Estate probably won't approve the revival of MECCG.  I can only hope that the new LCG has some of the depth and love of the source material that the original had.

Link:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... ?eidn=1528

Haldalam

Post by Haldalam » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:14 am

The living card games are actually very good... The game of Thrones one is great.

With that said, I don't know that the JRRT estate woudl ever re-issue a license for the game again... the Decipher one wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either... and that came out wiht th emovies and people lost interest very quickly.

Look at White Wolf's VTES game.... my other fav CCG... it is now dead too.

To throw my 2 quid in.... I do think, in the future, the chance will be there for a resurgence of CCG's, like what happened with D&D, but I am guessing that the entity we know will never be resurected....

It is up to us to preserve the game and keep playing it.... I plan on trying to run some Council tournaments here in the US east coast again very soon....