help...

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

tbadiuk

help...

Post by tbadiuk » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:08 pm

I haven't felt this depressed in....I don't know how long.  I just realized early today that all my sets(*) have damaged cards because the binder rings have dented the cards on the first and last pages of the binder in the left most column.  That means I need to hunt down around 6 cards for every set in almost every language.

(*) I'm only missing Italian, Dutch and Finnish METW plus some German MELE at this point.  That's a lot of sets with ~6 damaged cards in them.

Anyone have extra cards spanning across a lot of different langauges and sets?   I'm about ready to give up and just put it all up on Ebay.  10+ years of collecting all coming down to this.

Ted

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:11 pm

On a related note, how do you all store your card sets?  I'm wondering if this hasn't happened to anyone else.

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:25 pm

*sob*...even the promo binder wasn't spared.  Of course my last page had to be Japanese promo's.  First page was limited one rings one in each language but those seem to only have minor denting (they're OK I think).

Japanese Fatty Bolger, 2 x Japanese Iron Crown, Japanese Neeker-Breekers all dented badly.  At least the Japanese Fury of the Iron Crown was in the middle spot on the page so that survived.  

I...don't know what to do....I want to put all the cards in a big pile outside and burn them!

Ted

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:23 pm

I feel like I'm talking to myself here (I sure sign of insanity! :lol: ).  I'm using this thread as therapy I think, it's been a rough 4-5 hours.

I've gone and cataloged the "damage", it's not overly bad, but painful as it hits so many sets and languages.  If anybody has NM/M commons/uncommons lying around (particularly Spanish!) please let me know.  

Thanks,
Ted

asphalt

Post by asphalt » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:27 am

I don't know what may have caused this damage to your cards. Anyway, given the description you provided, maybe your ring binders were overly filled with pocket pages, and the pages were squeezed under the pressure of the binders stacked up one above the other: it's the only hypothesis I can come up with. You may try to prevent this from happening again by rearranging your collection in a greater number of binders, or by setting them in a vertical position in your shelves. I hope that helps.

I understand your great disappointment and I'm sorry for you, but I really urge you not to give away all your cards. You would repent such an impulsive choice in the future.  :(
After all, the damage wasn't that great, as you said: I'm sure you'll be able to get a hold on all the cards you need.  :wink:

I have a bunch of spanish spare commons and uncommons from Dark Minions, Against the Shadow and White Hand. I have spare cards from other sets and languages too: email me a list of what you need and I'll let you know if I can help you.

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:49 am

I had this happen to me in the METW set.  I ended up putting a bunch of cheap commons behind the cards in this position to help protect the cards.  My binders that didn't have as many cards in them haven't really had this problem, or only slightly.

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:17 am

Perhaps one should lay the folders horizontal.

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:53 pm

I've now gone out and bought new "D-Ring" binders to replace all the O-Ring ones! If also increased the #of binders leaving more room per binder.

I actually think this happened when the binders were stored (when I was moving) and placed horizontally!  The first/last pages would end up a little too far back (resting the edges of the cards on the rings) and the weight from the cards over time caused the dents.

Over 150 or so cards damaged over all!  The good news is I've been furiously working on trades/purchases over the last day or two and have got leads/trades on about 100 of those cards.

The ones I'm having difficulty with:  MELE (Spanish) fixed cards, the One Rings, plus of course the Japanese promo's!

Ted

Eyelid

Post by Eyelid » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:48 am

Hi Ted,

I have some French cards from The Wizards and Dark Minions. Tell me what you need and I'll have a look.

Cheers,

Adrian
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Ford Prefect
"If you believe in Eternity, then life is irrelevant". House M.D.

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:30 am

Thanks Adrian!  I'm actually OK on the french sets I think.  I've been working quite a bit on getting replacements.

As of right now, thanks for Arco's Card Exchange as well as couple of traders from the land without winter :lol:  (Enrique Navarro and Marc Roca) I think I'm at about 90% fixed up.  That's quite surprising given the extend of the damage.  If it wasn't for these 3 people I think I'd be in for a very long wait (years!) in finding replacements.  I'm very grateful for their help!

Ted

Thorf

Post by Thorf » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:01 am

Ted, the same thing almost happened to me years ago with a different card game.  Luckily I noticed the danger (just) before it happened, and since then I have been pretty careful.  I think you are right that a combination of D-ring binders and less pages per binder makes things safer, but the fact is that in the end binders are always going to be a little bit dangerous - especially if you leave your cards undisturbed for long periods of time.  (Or move the binders around a lot, like when you move house.)

Anyway, sorry this had to happen to you.  :(

I had my own bad experience with cards two years ago.  At the end of a trip home to Scotland, I wanted to take my MECCG cards back to Japan with me.  So I actually took them all out of the binders and put them in cardboard boxes in my hand luggage for the trip.  They were well packed, so I wasn't worried about any damage.

Unfortunately the day we left was 10th August 2006, the same day that the police chose to arrest terrorists planning a liquid-explosives attack on aeroplanes.  All the rules for baggage suddenly changed and our hand baggage had to go in the hold, and even though we actually got delayed until the next day and we had time to repack some stuff, it never occurred to me that my hand baggage would get damaged.

We got separated from our luggage and delayed again in Heathrow, where we ended up spending the night (thankfully with hotel provided), and finally got back home to Japan on the 13th - with NO luggage.  The luggage then started to turn up bit by bit over the next week, but when my hand luggage eventually arrived, the INSIDE was all wet!  I can't explain it, in fact I really have no idea to this day why that would or could happen.  At first I was just puzzled, but then when I realise the cardboard boxes with all my cards in them were also wet, I really started to panic.  It turned out that only the part of the box facing the outside of the bag was actually soaked through, but as a result I lost ALL my characters (hero and minion) and ALL my hero resources, from ALL (English) sets.

It was really quite devastating, which explains my sudden disappearance back in August of 2006.  I just couldn't face sorting out the damage.  It took almost a year and a half to get back to MECCG.

In the end I was able to replace some of the damaged cards with my trades, although most of the cards I didn't have trades of anyway.  The biggest loss was undoubtedly METW limited (Bilbo, Frodo, The One Ring, etc.), but also MELE characters, and of course MEAS R1 cards.

Now that I'm back, and starting trading, I hope I can get all the damaged cards replaced before too long.  (For which, see my page on Chris's site, which should I hope be there soon.)

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:06 pm

That's awful!!   :(  :(  :(

I can also obviously say that I unfortunately know exactly how you felt at the time.   It's not even the money, but the extremely LARGE amounts of time and effort we put into this hobby.   When I first started I actually used one of those zip lock bag sealers and was sealing each card inside the plastic protective sleeve before I put it into the binder.  I'd then poke a little hole into the top corner to let the air out (proper vacuum sealing was too hard to do!  :lol: ).  I did this I think for all of my English sets.  I can't even phantom how many hours I spent on this.  It's in the 3 digits though (over probably a 5+ year span).  I now don't do that anymore at least!  I find the cards look better in the binders unsealed.

On a related note, I've actually seriously considered getting a fireproof safe for my house to put my cards in.  Yes, I'm *that* obsessed it seems.  :lol:  

I guess the "good" news in your case, if you can call it that, is that it happened to "only" the English sets.  Once you complete your JP limited set try and imagine how having that one get damaged would feel!  8O  In my case the very worst is the Japanese One Ring, Dutch One Ring, Spanish Lim. One Ring,  Japanese Iron Crown and Neeker Breekers that I lost.  The Iron Crowns I lucked out and was able to replace.  I think I have a Dutch One Ring coming to.   It's been a long slow struggle though...

Oh, and I also store my cards like this now!   :lol:

Ted

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:41 pm

I had 2 5000 card boxes I use to haul around my cards.  Well one day I dropped the box of hazards into a big puddle of water, while it was raining.  I estimate I lost approx 3500 hazards.  Luckily most of my rares were in another binder.  But you ever try replacing random odd things like a foolish words or twilight?

I feel kinda goofy sometimes asking um you have an Orc Lt for trade?  I've gotten most of it replaced by now, but man it SUCKED.

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:02 pm

This thread is turning into a support group!  :lol:

For the 3500 hazards, were they all English cards?  Reason I ask is I've got a ton of non-english C/U/F/Region left over from making sets.  If you need any let me know, they're yours for the cost of shipping...

Ted

ActualNewby

Post by ActualNewby » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:37 pm

try your significant other throwing away your cards because she has no idea what they are/doesn't care. Hehehe, gotta be vigilant.
Olley Olley Oxen Free