Hello. New guy here with some questions

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

spacemarine17

Hello. New guy here with some questions

Post by spacemarine17 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:37 am

Hello all.  I tried to play this game when unlimited Wizards was released.  I tried to get my friends into it, but since the game was pretty difficult for us 6th graders to figure out, I was forced to pass on this game.  I stuck w/ Star Wars CCG and have heard that SWCCG and MECCG are the 2 most complicated CCG's out there.  Since I completely understand SWCCG I'd like to take a try at this (assuming that my best friend will play too).  She will want to be Nazgul for sure, I like Rohan and the army of the dead.  So my questions are:

1) What sets should we hunt for? (after researching I know Lidless Eye started the Nazgul in place of a Wizard rule so we'd need that...again assuming I'll have a partner to play with)
2) Is it possible for both of us to be Nazgul and fight against one another?
3) Can 1 person be Nazgul and the other be Sauron?
4) If someone was to play a Nazgul deck, is their entire deck made up of Hazards or is it still split 30/30?
5) Are the books like Wizard's Companion necessary for the game?  I can understand wanting them just for collecting if you are a huge fan, but is it something I should look into right now?
6) Tournaments.  Is this an active community?  I still play SWCCG (casually) but that's because the core of the SWCCG scene is like Minnesota, I live in NY so I'm sort of on the outs.  So where would you say the hottest spot is for MECCG?

I think that's all.  Thank you to anyone who replies.  And I hope to visit this board more often (here's hoping my last geeky friend will want to play ha)

-Adam.

Shapeshifter

Post by Shapeshifter » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:30 am

Welcome Adam!

1. To play as Nazgul you will definitely need the Lidless Eye Edition, because it contains all the Ringwraith avatars and most of the resources for them. Against the Shadow has some more resources and The White Hand and The Balrog have a few more. Dark Minions brings some minion characters. But you should concentrate on Lidless Eye. Concerning your Rohan deck the most characters are from The Wizards. Important resource cards for heroes (i.e. Wizards) can be found in first place in The Wizards and The Dragons. All other editions except for Lidless Eye contain some more hero resources.
2. Yes you may both play Ringwraith. To fight each other you will need a special card from The Balrog edition which is very hard to come by these days.
3. Sauron may only be played against hero (and fallen wizard) players.
4. You have always at least 30 hazards and 30 resources in your play deck.
5. No, these books are not very helpful imo.
6. The community is definitely active  :D ! Worlds was just held in the USA and last weekend was North American Nats at Gencon. Although the most active players seem to be in Europe nowadays.
Moreover there is always the possibilty to play MECCG online. Look here: http://www.meccg.net/dforum/viewtopic.php?t=238
If you want to read all the rules you should check the Dutch Council Site or the Council of Elrond homepage where all the rules from the different editions can be downloaded as pdf file.

thorondor

Post by thorondor » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:09 am

it shouldnt be too hard tofind some players in NY. i am sure either mark "zarathustra" or joe "frodo" will soon contact you!

and guess, where in the US worldchampionships have been held? right, in NY!

spacemarine17

Post by spacemarine17 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:50 pm

Thanks a lot for the info.  You guys did your part, now it's up to me to do mine : get $ for cards and see if my friend is interested.  

Thanks again.

-Adam.

Zakath

Post by Zakath » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:11 am

It's a pity you didn't get in touch a little earlier - the World Championships were in New York City this year, at the end of July. :/

spacemarine17

Dragons

Post by spacemarine17 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:44 pm

OK so the card shop by my house has a sealed box of Dragons (that's all) I'm going down right now to trade in my old M:TG cards in for either the box or a handful of packs.  I don't have the MECCG starter I bought from when the game came out so I know 0 of the rules.  

SO besides no rule book how would you guys rate this set as my starter set?

I hope highly.  :)

-a.

kweniston

Re: Dragons

Post by kweniston » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:16 am

spacemarine17 wrote:OK so the card shop by my house has a sealed box of Dragons (that's all) I'm going down right now to trade in my old M:TG cards in for either the box or a handful of packs.  I don't have the MECCG starter I bought from when the game came out so I know 0 of the rules.  

SO besides no rule book how would you guys rate this set as my starter set?

I hope highly.  :)

-a.
The Dragons is a excellent set for starting players, but only serving as an add-on to a base set of the Wizards. The Wizards contains almost all of the main characters, sites, factions, and other main resources & hazards, which you'll gonna need. The Dragons is only a booster set by definition.

My option for you would be: buy a box of 10 Challenge Decks (all fixed sets) for around 50$. You'll have a selection of 1100 cards from all the sets then, both hero and ringwraith for your opponent to play with. You can mix the 5 sets of Hero together (and the 5 Ringwraith decks) for a bigger card pool, or play sealed deck games. After this, you can still decide whether to invest in the main sets.

The rulebook is no problem, you can download them online.

spacemarine17

Post by spacemarine17 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:53 am

OH DAMN! I saw that on ebay.  If I had $60 to blow I'd do that auction.  I have many birthdays coming up, so I hope that set stays there ha.  This Dragons Box would be technically free since it's a MTG for MECCG trade.  So either way I'll be doing that.  

Thank you very much for that information.  I'll definitely be looking into the challenge decks.

-a.

Sly Southerner

Post by Sly Southerner » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:49 am

Dont trade too much for the Dragon's Box, its only worth about $20. You should also have no trouble getting hold of Challenge decks they come up all the time.
So that's where that southerner is hiding...He looks more than half like a goblin.

jhunholz
Administrator

Post by jhunholz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:14 pm

Yeah, note what Adrian said: a whole box of The Dragons is only worth $20, so don't trade too much for it.

I attended Gencon two weeks ago and bought a box of Dragons for $10 (yeah, it's dragons, and I already have a lot of it...but it was only $10).

You also have to decide what direction you want to go.  If you want more Hero stuff (you play as the Wizards), buy some cards from The Dragons, The Wizards and Dark Minions.  If you want to go more for being a bad guy (Ringwraiths), pick up some Lidless Eye and Against the Shadow.  Eventually you may want to pick up some White Hand as well, since it's relatively cheap ($40/box or so).

spacemarine17

Post by spacemarine17 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:58 pm

jhunholz wrote:Yeah, note what Adrian said: a whole box of The Dragons is only worth $20, so don't trade too much for it.

I attended Gencon two weeks ago and bought a box of Dragons for $10 (yeah, it's dragons, and I already have a lot of it...but it was only $10).

You also have to decide what direction you want to go.  If you want more Hero stuff (you play as the Wizards), buy some cards from The Dragons, The Wizards and Dark Minions.  If you want to go more for being a bad guy (Ringwraiths), pick up some Lidless Eye and Against the Shadow.  Eventually you may want to pick up some White Hand as well, since it's relatively cheap ($40/box or so).
Well my thing with trading my MTG cards is I never use them, and I dont have anything crazy hard to find.  I have like an Antiquities Strip Mine and a Revised Dem Tutor and a Chrome Mox from Mirrodin.  The guy there is fair anyway.  

Here are the 2 decks Id like to make.  SO i guess I need Wizards and Lidless eye?
1) Based on the Mouth (is that possible to be him instead of a Ringwraith?)
2) Rohan (I like Eomer)

Also if The Mouth deck was possible I know my friend would be the Witch-King so Would we be able to play against eachother?

ALSO

I have an old Scrye Magazine (with AT-AT walkers on the cover) it has a 3 page article on a solo scenario regarding the Dragons set.  It also has 1/2 page to full page articles on MECCG.  When I get some free time (tonight, tomorrow and sunday are not looking good) I could scan them in if people are interested.  I'm unsure if this is old news for you guys or not (I'm sure it is, just figured I'd throw it by you).

-a.

Well thanks again for all the input.

Ringbearer

Post by Ringbearer » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:47 pm

The Mouth is a rare character from the LE set. You can start him and still play a Ringwraith as avatar. And The Mouth is in the Indur challenge deck, so if you get a hold of that one, you have a Mouth.
Player of killer hazards no-one else ever dares to play :D

spacemarine17

Post by spacemarine17 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:29 pm

HEY!

So I finally ordered 2 Challenge decks from ebay (Radagast and Alatar).  My friend and I are planning on playing New Year's Eve.  It's Xmas Eve today (and I have family visiting until Friday) so naturally I won't have any time to really go over the rules.  But I'm hoping we can play by Monday.

Just figured I'd let you all know since I'd be excited to hear about a potential new SWCCG player.

Wish us luck!

-a.