GCCG - Firewall settings, Mac OSX

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

Strider

GCCG - Firewall settings, Mac OSX

Post by Strider » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:11 pm

Hello all. I am currently going to Bryan College in Dayton, TN, USA, and have finally gotten a wireless USB adaptor for my computer (Apple G4 Desktop). I am running it on Mac OS 10.4.4 (Tiger) and would like to use GCCG to get back into the game a bit. (After many years) Trouble is, I havn't had any experience using the "Terminal" application that is mentioned on the GCCG website, so I was wondering if there was a detailed step-by-step guide on how to install/download it, or if someone here has done so themselves, and could help me out.

Thanks in advance!
"You can't stop the signal."

jhunholz
Administrator

Post by jhunholz » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:14 am

Go into the Applications folder and check under Utilities.  I've not used gccg on a Mac before, but I'm just looking at my roommate's Mac for an idea of where Terminal would be.  Once you open a terminal (it will look like a DOS prompt...), follow these instructions (copy/pasted from the gccg site) The lines with a # sign are comments, while the other lines are the actual commands you would type:

# Create a folder to store Gccg in with
mkdir gccg
# Navigate to that folder with
cd gccg
# Download the gccg-core-0.7.13.tgz module with
curl -O http://gccg.sourceforge.net/modules/gcc ... 0.7.13.tgz
# Decompress the file you just downloaded with
tar xzvf gccg-core-0.7.13.tgz
# Install the packages needed for the client:
./gccg_package install client fonts macosx
# Install game modules you wish to use:
./gccg_package install game
where game is mtg, pokemon, or metw
# Run game using
./Game
where Game is Mtg, Pokemon, or Metw.
# To update all installed packages, say
./gccg_package update

Strider

Post by Strider » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:40 am

Trying it now, thanks for the help!  :D Currently 'fetching module list [4]'

EDIT: Okay. Everyhing installed fine with Terminal, but when I type in './metw' to start the game it says 'tcsh: ./Game: Command not found.' I did try it withe the m in metw changed to M but it didn't change anything. Did I do something wrong? Thanks!

jhunholz
Administrator

Post by jhunholz » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:19 pm

When you installed it did you type: ./gccg_package install metw ?
Then to start it you just type: ./Metw
It sounds like you are typing ./Game Metw, but I could be wrong.

Strider

Post by Strider » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:45 pm

It's up and running now. Not sure what went wrong, so I just started over and it worked out. Thanks so much for the help! :-)

EDIT: The program turns on, but doesn't connect. It says 'Connecting to gccg-buonanno.org port 29130... Connection failed'. On the top of the screen it says 'Gccg v0.8.92

EDIT 2: I was just chatting with my brother, and he said it won't work here at the school because there's too many firewalls up.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:27 pm

Strider wrote:I was just chatting with my brother, and he said it won't work here at the school because there's too many firewalls up.
:( It will indeed need that port to be open from your inside towards the internet and a couple more too just above that (it goes up one per table, so 29130-..60 TCP should be fine).

For companies and schools it's not uncommon to have a block everything, think about unblocking some later policy. There's not much of a reason to keep this blocked, so assuming you're not doing anything they don't allow there, you could ask the administrator if he'd be willing to open it up.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.