Galadriel in Border-Lands

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Mirdhynn

Post by Mirdhynn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:55 am

I need 2 dwarves and galadriel in my starting company and almost one with diplomat skill to receive the three golden hairs.
The only dwarves that have not a corruption malus (which on my point of vue is really dangerous in such a deck) are Thrain, Gimli, Dain, Balin and Gloin. Only Thrain have the ranger skill but he is consuming too many GI for a starting company.
So which one can I choose?
There is many diplomats in my deck also to use the new friendship :
Diplomat only. +3 to any one influence check or +2 to a corruption check
made by a character in the same company.
Perhaps I make a mistake but the diplomat dwarf with the ring cannot use it on himself : "made by a character in the same company".
Last edited by Mirdhynn on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:46 am

No, your diplomat can use New Friendship to help himself with corruption.  However, he can't use it to help someone else with an influence check.  You are much better off putting A friend or Three in the deck instead.  It is more flexible and as soon as you get 3 characters in the company it is always more powerful.  Even with 2 it is just as good for corruption.

I'd start with one diplomat, probably Gimli, and then instead of Gloin put in a ranger, you'd probably have to pick a non-dwarf, but that's okay.  Once you get one Dwarven Ring out you'll have enough available influence to bring in more characters.  If you pick a small-mind guy like Eomer you'd have enough GI left over to add another character and have a company size of 3, which makes A friend or Three more useful.  Plus you could have someone like Hama or Beregond controlled by Gimli and leave you some free GI to protect against Call of Home and such.

Mirdhynn

Post by Mirdhynn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:18 am

Ok for a friend or three.

Concerning my starting company, I agree with adding a ranger (rivers  8O ) but 2 small guys means also a higher hazard limit. And since they have low prowess, I am not sure of the viability of this.
So I think I will get one of the 2 warrior/ranger brothers  in my starting company. I will be more vulnerable to call of home, but my opponent don't use it so often (good card in early game but later a dead one), and I travel around lorien so my characters will be back easily.

Leon

Post by Leon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:20 pm

I have never seen unhappy blows in play. If you have a dwarf with a dwarven ring, why not use Thranduil, Beorn, Aragorn or Thrain as a second guy. These are the most awesome rangers in the game, but they can probably wait in your sb till you have the ring.

Another approach is to use Fellowships, as long as you return the haven. This is annoying with allies though, but very powerfull

Mirdhynn

Post by Mirdhynn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:49 pm

I have never seen unhappy blow too by it problably depends on the metagame.

For Fellowship, I think this cannot be included in this list : 4 characters are mandatory in the company which is not possible at the beginning of the game and, you said it, it should be annoying with allies.

I will try to post today another list (I have to work a little since I am at job  :lol: )

EDIT : here is the latest version of the deck. I added the Hazards and shorted the deck to 30/30 parts :

[Starting company]
Galadriel
Elrohir
  star glass
Gimli

Rumours of rings

[Pool]
Dain II
3x Saruman

[Sideboard]
3x dwarven ring of xxx's tribe
1x Magic ring of courage
1x Wizard's test
Gollum
Thranduil
Beorn

[Ressources]
3x precious gold ring
1x orcrist
1x Mithrill coat
1x riders of rohan
1x beornings
1x wood-elves
1x phial of galadriel
1x Gwaihir
1x Quickbeam
3x A friend or three
3x Marvels Tolds
3x show things unbidden
3x risky blow
2x hall of fire
2x twilight
2x smoke rings
1x three golden hairs

[Hazards]
3x Doors of night
3x Choking shadows
2x Plague of Wights
1x Morgul night
2x The moon is dead
1x Twilight
3x Ghosts
3x Chill-Douser
3x Barrow-Wight
2x Ghouls
1x Mouth of Sauron
1x Daelomin at home
2x Foolish words
3x Lure of the senses
Last edited by Mirdhynn on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sauron_the_Great
Location: Alfter, Germany (normally Barad-Dur, Mordor but I'm on holidays at the moment)

Post by Sauron_the_Great » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:58 pm

Add some more magic rings to the sideboard and try to keep at least one magic and one dwarven ring under "Rumours of Rings"...you'll regret having no more magic rings when having tested the one you had, and keep rolling low numbers (I know what i'm speaking about...i tried once a similar deck based only on dwarves and had no ring testing roll above 6....)

remove "Ghouls" and add some creatures which help against gondor-decks...else you'll be VERY vulnerable to these decks...

I'd remove "Morgul Night" and put another "The Moon is Dead" in...

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:24 pm

Don't you want precious gold rings, rather than beautiful gold rings?  Since you are trying to get Dwarven rings you should pick the ones with the best chance.

Mirdhynn

Post by Mirdhynn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:06 pm

Yes this is the precious ones  :D

For the Gondor decks I planned to add corsairs of Umbar, not really in the way of undead but...

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:30 pm

I'd pull out a twilight and one other card and add a couple An Unexpected Outpost.  With the Doors of Night this becomes a great recycler so you can make your deck better as you go along, also if you need to it allows you to sideboard in cards like the Corsairs that plug holes in your hazard strategy.

Marcos

Post by Marcos » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:43 pm

you might want to run forewarned is forearmed because all of that free/ border holds you visit...

Mirdhynn

Post by Mirdhynn » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:19 am

Hello

I made some other tests this WE.
Honnestly, I was disapointed by the deck. There was 2 major issues with it :

Galadriel : Let her in Lorien at the beginning of the game is a big handicap, I have to start with 2 small characters which is a very vulnerable situation : You spend your time to heal these 2 characters at lorien because they face a big attack.

The deck is too slow : You have to wait saruman to access the wizard's test. it takes you 2-3 turns to get it in hand and one more to join all the rings at lorien. At the beginning of the game, your guys are vulnerable because rings gives no prowess bonuses.

So I have to change and choose between the dwarven rings and galadriel squatter strategy.
As the original idea was to use galadriel in border lands, I will choose this one and let the dwarven rings go away.

So I need your help. :P

How to increase the speed of the deck without leaving too much the border lands ?
I cannot use radagast, not many wilderness. Perhaps Pallando to increase the hand size by one. I also need more big MP cards in this zone (adding more greater items? replace some allies with factions to get one more MP gwaihir/great eagles?)

How to palliate the weak starting company due to the presence of galadriel?
There I have no idea. Strong characters "costs" too much in Mind .

Marcos

Post by Marcos » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:42 pm

to speed up your deck you can have some 3-minder character go forth and back from easterling camp and you can use master of esgaroth or bridge to help with that task...

Halbarad

Post by Halbarad » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:43 pm

Another possiblility is to not start Galadriel, and instead let her hang out with saruman in Lorien. Then you could start with Beorn/Thranduil/Thrain or someone similar, and put more of Gala-specific cards in the SB. You´d be sorry if an opponent plays her in the draft though...

Mirdhynn

Post by Mirdhynn » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:03 pm

Yes I think about put galadriel in the sideboard with all her cards. But the deck will lose his soul: it wil take a huge time to get galadriel + specific card in hand after sided her. The deck will not be a galadriel one.

Galadriel is a really difficult character to use. Not realy good for a moving strategy and really "expensive" for a squatting strategy.  :?

Ringbearer

Post by Ringbearer » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:27 pm

A trick for squatting is to have Galadriel with elfstone and celeborn move to lorien. There they pick up a gold belt of lorien. Celeborn with gold belt and elfstone can control galadriel. Its a nice party for squatting.
Player of killer hazards no-one else ever dares to play :D