Decks from an old player

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Gorrath

Decks from an old player

Post by Gorrath » Thu May 08, 2008 12:26 am

Hey

I didn't play MECCG for a few years and last week I took out my cards boxes and used a deck builder to list all my collection and all the deck I had.

I thought I could list them here so maybe be people could tell me if they are good decks and maybe give me some ideas on some changes I could do to make them better.

Gorrath

Post by Gorrath » Thu May 08, 2008 12:27 am

HOBBITS & NAZGULS

HAZARDS(30 cards):
1 Witch-King of Angmar
1 Khamûl the Easterling
1 Dwar of Waw
1 Indûr Dawndeath
1 Akhôrahl
1 Hoarmûrath of Dir
1 Adûnaphel
1 Ren the Unclean
1 Ûvatha the Horseman
1 Slayer (should be 1 Assassin)
1 Mouth of Sauron
1 The Will of Sauron
1 Clouds
1 The Nazgûl Are Abroad
1 Daelomin at Home
2 Out of the Black Sky
2 Twilight
2 Morgul-Horse
3 Fell Beast
3 Morgul Night
3 Doors of Night

RESSOURCES(30 cards):
1 Scroll of Isildur
1 The One Ring
3 Precious Gold Ring
1 Cracks of Doom
2 More Sense Than You
2 Trickery
2 Marvels Told
3 Dark Quarrels
3 Wizard's Test
3 Stealth
3 Halfling Stealth
3 Halfling Strength
3 Concealment

CHARACTERS:
(I don't remember which ones were the starting ones)
1 Pallando
1 Gandalf
1 Radagast
1 Bilbo
1 Fatty Bolger
1 Sam Gamgee
1 Robin Smallburrow
1 Frodo
1 Aragorn II
1 Galadriel

Starting Minor Items
2 Cram
Last edited by Gorrath on Fri May 16, 2008 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gorrath

Post by Gorrath » Thu May 08, 2008 12:29 am

DWARVES  & DRAGONS

HAZARDS(30 cards):
1 Bairanax
1 Agburanar
1 Leucaruth
1 Scatha
1 Smaug
1 Itangast
3 Slayer (should be 3 Assassins)
1 Rumor of Wealth
1 Daelomin at Home
2 Parsimony of Seclusion
2 Fever of Unrest
3 Long Dark Reach
3 Doors of Night
3 Withered Lands
3 An Unexpected Outpost
3 Dragon's Desolation

RESSOURCES(30 cards):
1 Wormsbane
1 Glamdring
1 Wizard's Ring
1 Precious Gold Ring
1 Durin's Axe
1 The Arkenstone
1 Orcrist
1 Dwarven Ring of Druin's Tribe
1 King Under the Mountain
1 Rangers of Ithilien
1 Iron Hull Dwarves
1 Easterlings
1 Men of Dorwinion
1 Returned Exiles
1 Wizard's Test
1 The Old Thrush
1 Marvels Told
1 Fellowship
3 The Dwarves Are Upon You
3 Risky Blow
3 Muster
3 Lucky Strike

CHARACTERS:
2 Gandalf
1 Pallando
1 Fram Framson
1 Thrain II
1 Gimli
1 Dori
1 Nori
1 Bombur
1 Gloin
1 Dain II
1 Balin
1 Thorin II

Starting Minor items:
2 Elven Cloack

Gorrath

Post by Gorrath » Thu May 08, 2008 12:31 am

WARRIORS & MEN

HAZARDS(30 cards):
1 Ûvatha the Horseman
1 Thief
2 Abductor
3 Sellswords Between Charters
3 Ambushers
3 Giant
3 Assassin (there they are lol)
1 Power Built by Waiting
1 Revealed to All Watchers
1 Scimitars of Steel
2 Thrice Outnumbered
2 Two or Three Tribes Present
2 An Unexpected Outpost
2 Doors of Night
3 Rank upon Rank

RESSOURCES(30 cards):
3 Block
3 Risky Blow
3 Old Road
3 Lapse of Will
3 Muster
3 Lucky Strike
2 The Old Thrush
1 Riders of Rohan
1 Rangers of Ithilien
1 men of Dorwinion
1 Beornings
1 Easterlings
1 The Great Eagles
1 Wormsbane
1 Glamdring
1 Orcrist
1 Durin's Axe

CHARACTERS:
2 Pallando
1 Radagast
1 Haldir
1 Thranduil
1 Fram Framson
1 Elrohir
1 Elladan
1 Celeborn
1 Boromir II
1 Hama
1 Glorfindel II
1 Beregond
1 Beorn

Starting Minor items:
2 Black Arrow

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Thu May 08, 2008 2:43 am

Which expansions do you have, out of curiosity?

Gorrath

Post by Gorrath » Thu May 08, 2008 3:08 am

Bandobras Took wrote:Which expansions do you have, out of curiosity?
Right now I have:

A lot of The Wizards
I'm missing 6 rares to have the complete sets but I have many of the most useful stuff.

A lot of The Dragons.
I've the full set and many of the useful cards

A factory set of Dark Minions
(3 of each R3, 2 of R2, 1 of each C1, etc)

A bunch of rares from Against the Shadow
Found like 130 rares in my boxes but don't have any C/Us
(I think it was a bundle of rares I got on EBAY a long time ago)

The 10 Challenge Decks

I'll have a White Hand boosters box and some Lidless Eye complete french sets son.

I have no idea what I had when I made those decks though.
Last edited by Gorrath on Fri May 09, 2008 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zakath

Post by Zakath » Fri May 09, 2008 2:27 am

Those decks are old enough that it looks like you didn't have the "you can pack 3 copies of your wizard rule" available. Wow.

Gorrath

Post by Gorrath » Sat May 10, 2008 4:13 am

So, no advices to make these decks better?

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Sat May 10, 2008 4:27 am

The biggest one would be to familiarize yourself with the later expansions/rules.  Also, as per the thread in the Tips & Tricks column, many of the later cards can more profitably be put in the sideboard to be pulled in to the play deck when you actually need them.

For your Warriors & Men deck, you seem to be visiting free and border-holds for your factions, and that's precisely where men hit most powerfully; you may be shooting yourself in the foot by focusing so much on factions with such a hazard portion.

For your Dwarves & Dragons deck, KUtM and Returned Exiles are definitely sideboard cards -- you only want them in your hand after you've successfully slain a Dragon at Home.  Speaking of which, you want far more than one At Home in your hazard portion if you're going to try for King Under the Mountain.  Bairanax and Scorba are actually good choices, as is Agburanar.

You have a Wizard's Ring in there, as well, which is an extremely corrupting item only playable at a haven; you already have so many item points in that deck that a Wizard's Ring is an unnecessary risk.  The Easterlings are a bit out of your way; the Iron Hill Dwarves and the Returned Exiles should be enough.  You also need some ally points to prevent your opponent from doubling; look at Roac the Raven and Noble Hounds; alternatively, nab Gwaihir at the Eagle's Eyrie.

For your hobbits/nazgul deck most games use standard 2-deck tournament conventions, which means a 12-creature minimum.  Cards that can be played as a creature or event only count for half, as do at homes/ahunts and spawn (from the Balrog set).  Another card you'll need to watch out for when running the all-halfling party is Beorning Skin-Changers, also from the Balrog set.  This card requires an untapped warrior of five prowess to prevent a company from being sent back to their site of origin; it was designed mostly as an anti-Hobbit card (and managed to screw over a fair number of other companies, but that's a separate issue).

Gorrath

Post by Gorrath » Sat May 10, 2008 2:28 pm

The biggest one would be to familiarize yourself with the later expansions/rules.  Also, as per the thread in the Tips & Tricks column, many of the later cards can more profitably be put in the sideboard to be pulled in to the play deck when you actually need them.
Yeah...I'll get my LE and WH stuff soon so I'll learn those expansions rules soon.
For your Warriors & Men deck, you seem to be visiting free and border-holds for your factions, and that's precisely where men hit most powerfully; you may be shooting yourself in the foot by focusing so much on factions with such a hazard portion.
So true! lol
For your Dwarves & Dragons deck, KUtM and Returned Exiles are definitely sideboard cards -- you only want them in your hand after you've successfully slain a Dragon at Home.  Speaking of which, you want far more than one At Home in your hazard portion if you're going to try for King Under the Mountain.  Bairanax and Scorba are actually good choices, as is Agburanar.
Will do!
You have a Wizard's Ring in there, as well, which is an extremely corrupting item only playable at a haven; you already have so many item points in that deck that a Wizard's Ring is an unnecessary risk.  The Easterlings are a bit out of your way; the Iron Hill Dwarves and the Returned Exiles should be enough.  You also need some ally points to prevent your opponent from doubling; look at Roac the Raven and Noble Hounds; alternatively, nab Gwaihir at the Eagle's Eyrie.
Yeah, I was surprised myself when I saw the wizard's ring. I think I put it there just to try it cause it usually never make the cut in my decks. lol
For your hobbits/nazgul deck most games use standard 2-deck tournament conventions, which means a 12-creature minimum.  Cards that can be played as a creature or event only count for half, as do at homes/ahunts and spawn (from the Balrog set).  Another card you'll need to watch out for when running the all-halfling party is Beorning Skin-Changers, also from the Balrog set.  This card requires an untapped warrior of five prowess to prevent a company from being sent back to their site of origin; it was designed mostly as an anti-Hobbit card (and managed to screw over a fair number of other companies, but that's a separate issue).
DOH!
So I've only 6.5 creatures in my deck. This one would need A LOT of tweaking to be legal...can't see how I could keep the same concept nad focus without adding a lot of cards to the deck...

Thanks for all the advices!!!

Gorrath

Post by Gorrath » Mon May 12, 2008 10:26 pm

By the way, I guess the creatures in the sideboard don't count for the 12-creatures minimum?

Zakath

Post by Zakath » Mon May 12, 2008 10:53 pm

No, they do not. Sideboard doesn't have any construction constraints, other than not violating uniqueness and the 3 card max for normal cards.