Nazgul hazard strategy

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Uncletrunx

Nazgul hazard strategy

Post by Uncletrunx » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:10 pm

Deck listing for a hazard strategy vs hero: using Nazgul as creatures to atack as well as for their permanent event qualities.

Comments welcome; this is intended as a theme deck, not something to win tournaments.

This is somewhat of a work in progress; comments appreciated. I'll update with a sideboard as and when I finish it but I'm assuming it'll be half the total allowed for a sideboard.

9x Nazgul
Mouth of Sauron
2x Cave Drake
1x Rain Drake
2x Brigands
2x Ambusher
Assasin
2x Doors of Night
2x Choking Shadows
2x Unexpected Outpost
Searching Eye
Fell Beast
Morgul-Horse
2X The Nazgul are Abroad
Pale Sword

As I say, it's more as a bit of fun than as a serious competition strategy but thoughts are very welcome.
I am not a pawn, this is not a game of chess

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:47 pm

Lobelia Sackville-Baggins can tap to allow Nazgul play at Bree.  Firiel can do it at the Vale of Erech.  They might be good in the sideboard vs. Arnor and Gondor Hero decks, respectively.

Uncletrunx

Post by Uncletrunx » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:29 pm

Brilliant; I'd forgotten about Lobelia and hadn't noticed about Firiel. Both will be in the sideboard for sure.

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:39 am

I`d consider to use more Morgul-Horses instead of Fell-Beasts. Cause then you may use the Nazgul`s ability or access your sideboard and get them directly back into the play. Think of using Khamul twice in a row! You might need some hazard limit enhancer for combos like this though....

stone troll

Post by stone troll » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:59 pm

On the other hand, fell beast enables 2 strikes (albeit at -2 prowess) and more importantly enables the nazgul to assign strikes, bypassing high prowess characters (glorfindel, eowyn, elrond/vilya, tom bombadil, etc.).

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:25 pm

Also true. I guess it depends on personal preference.

Uncletrunx

Post by Uncletrunx » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:47 pm

It's why I put in one of each; see which (if either) worked better.

Benefit of anyone elses experience would be welcome.

Sly Southerner

Post by Sly Southerner » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:10 am

Unfortynately its very difficult  to play a Nazgul Hazard Strategy. Its impossible against an experienced player and since you cant play them the theme is a bit wasted IMHO. I managed it once against a newbie who kept visiting Shadow-holds, but then I just felt guilty :)

The usual way t do it is with the cheesey khamul machine.

Good on you for trying though and let us know how you get on!
So that's where that southerner is hiding...He looks more than half like a goblin.

Marcos

Post by Marcos » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:43 pm

yeah, but khamul machine isn't that effective at all, since you deppend on a single unique card, khamul the easterling...

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:02 pm

Sly Southerner wrote:It's impossible against an experienced player and since you cant play them the theme is a bit wasted IMHO. I managed it once against a newbie who kept visiting Shadow-holds, but then I just felt guilty :)
It's not impossible -- I find hand clog to be one of the biggest problems, though, as you often have to wait for your playability enhancers (e.g. New Moon :)).  The other big problem is creature limitations -- you have to put in an awful lot of creatures to meet tournament policy.
Marcos wrote:khamul machine isn't that effective at all, since you depend on a single unique card
That isn't so bad, since you're wanting to destroy somebody's end-of-game combo anyway(anything before then more often than not just helps them cycle their deck).  The real problem vs. heroes is Wizard's River Horses, http://www.meccg.net/dforum/viewtopic.php?t=2223 which is easily sideboardable as soon as your opponent realizes you're doing the Khamul Machine.

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:39 am

Don't put Khamul in the deck, but him in your SB, and use one of your nazgul to SB 5 down to the discard pile.

Use mouth or uvatha to bring him to hand :)

Uncletrunx

Post by Uncletrunx » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Sly Southerner wrote:Unfortynately its very difficult  to play a Nazgul Hazard Strategy. Its impossible against an experienced player and since you cant play them the theme is a bit wasted IMHO. I managed it once against a newbie who kept visiting Shadow-holds, but then I just felt guilty :)

The usual way t do it is with the cheesey khamul machine.

Good on you for trying though and let us know how you get on!
The thought was that the versatility of them might help even if the opponent was sticking to "safe" areas; that way, the other beasties could hit 'em there, while the Nazgul could form the Khamul machine, use abilities to make life miserable for the opponent (Adúnaphel, Indúr, Hoarmúrath and even Akhoarahil) and recycle to do it again (úvatha, Mouth, Unexpected Outpost, Naz are abroad.)

SB looks like being wilderness hitters and possibly some HL boosters. suggestions for which are welcome.

As an alternative, I might throw things like Pale sword into the SB.

Sly Southerner

Post by Sly Southerner » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:11 am

Let us know how it goes. I spent ages trying to make a workable Nazgul strategy but couldnt pull it off. I hope you have better luck!
So that's where that southerner is hiding...He looks more than half like a goblin.

Thorsten the Traveller

Post by Thorsten the Traveller » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:33 pm

what's this, me commenting on decksideas? yeah well, I feel generous.  :lol:

Imho nazgul aren't impossible to play, just very limited and not very effective, so usually more for fun. But, if you could combine them with an agressive resource strategy, like cvcc or influencing. Then, you don't need to pay much attention to the free/borders either. In any case, they are not versatile enough to play different strategies in one, so choose: attack, or other. Because as Bandobras says, creature-limitation makes a good nazgul deck almost impossible if you stick to a 30 card deck.

With Mouth, Uvatha, Nazgul Abroad and outposts you have quite some recycling to do! Morgul horse is less effective then, though of course it can be put to good use, but if you go that road always include 3 copies I say. If you go the attacking route, add more doors/choking and make sure your other creatures can benefit also of these. Brigands?! never thought I'd see those again!
You could enhance the attack strategy with Scimitars/Helms and some orc for versatility, and if you still want the borders/free covered, just use Siege (orc attack). Agents rely on chance if you got no support cards, and they are half-creatures, just what you don't need. Of course, nothing cooler than having Bill Ferny show your nazgul the way into Bree (see my Coolplay report at the Morgul Lair site!), but many stike-creatures can prepare better the way for your nazgul. Combine with News of Doom, play many factions yourself and influence key-factions away...you might just have an edge ;-)

Searching eye? Many Sorrows works better usually, how on earth do you find hazard limit against a Stealty comp. anyway? You just pray you're up against the right company, i.e. Beorn/Glorfindel/beard hoping to Indy their way through ME.
Pale Sword? charming, but usually not worth the slot, especially if you can't force the cc.

Anyway, just my 2 cents, hope you can use them.
'Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Majagua_the_Necromancer

Post by Majagua_the_Necromancer » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:03 pm

nazgul strategy is hard to pull.  You need to keep with the creature requirement plus add things for the nazgul to be playable, i didn´t succeed with naz strategy.  I would say khamul machine works better than trying to attack with them in general.