CotT: Black Rain

Discuss the way <b>you</b> play (strategy, etc., etc.)

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

cathack

Post by cathack » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:34 pm

I was always wondering what's the storytelling idea behind this card? Almost every other event card in MECCG can be understood as an actual action/incident/story happening in Middle Earth, but my imagination is running short for this card. Even the concept art doesn't help here: an old man - perhaps the sage - running with a ring in thunderstorm.

Does anyone have an idea for interpretation? :idea: Is it something from the books?

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:45 pm

Yes, this is Thrain II taken prisoner. The black rain poured at that moment. It was in Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:05 pm

Actually, you can find it in the Appendix A of Lord of the Rings, part III "Durin's Folk."
There came a dark night when he and his companions were wandering in the land beyond Anduin, and they were driven by a black rain to take shelter under the eaves of Mirkwood. &nbsp;In the morning, he was gone from the camp, and his companions called him in vain. &nbsp;They searched for him many days, until at last giving up hope they departed and came at length back to Thorin. &nbsp;Only long after was it learned that Thrain had been taken alive and brought to the Pits of Dol Guldur. &nbsp;There he was tormented and the Ring taken from him, and at last he died.

cathack

Post by cathack » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:57 pm

Thank you, now I got the idea.

Balin son of Fundin

Post by Balin son of Fundin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:47 pm

Nice quote! &nbsp;:P

Talking about the card, I think a deck based on Black Rain strategy can't work by itself only, because when your opponent knows your trick to force characters back into hand he can discard his characters or even play them on guard during your hazard phase.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:04 am

If you're forcing him into discarding vital characters, you're already making a lot of headway in winning the game.

And in a One Ring Black Rain deck, surprise is the key. &nbsp;It's no good to find the One the turn after your opponent calls, anyway.

If you're using Black Rain for a Rings for Points deck, then you can still make it part of your overall strategy, since :R: with Information playable tend to be guarded by Wolf auto-attacks (Ost-in-Edhil, Weathertop, White Towers), allowing for some good ally play. &nbsp;A covert company could also potentially nab some animal factions. &nbsp;Whereas a normal Ring deck would be potentially clogged with Ring Tests and Gold Ring items, you've got a bit more space to maneuver if you use a Black Rain gambit. &nbsp;Considering that Black Rain guarantees you a Dwarven or Spirit Ring, it's not too shabby; just make sure to have one of each under Whispers.

The big drawback is, as you said, that a clever opponent will be putting his characters on guard. &nbsp;If you can force him to discard them, you're gaining ground in the MP war anyway.

Scactha

Post by Scactha » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:41 pm

So it´s Thrain in the illustration then? One of my favourite cards.
Is this life? Toil - Caine, Lord Byron

Majagua_the_Necromancer

Post by Majagua_the_Necromancer » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:16 pm

i have a deck with BR but it´s a fun deck, not very competitive. &nbsp;The thing about needing a character in opponent´s hand is hard to pull. &nbsp;My BR strategy was with squatting lt. at bur widu and another one in ettenmoors to play the factions. &nbsp;The idea was to get the spiritual rings out (whisper of rings) and if i was lucky, gt the one ring and take it to barad-dur. &nbsp;Wasn´t able to get the One out (but i did only play with the deck 2 times).