Getting the one ring out as FW Saruman

Discuss the way <b>you</b> play (strategy, etc., etc.)

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Haldalam

Getting the one ring out as FW Saruman

Post by Haldalam » Fri May 06, 2011 11:48 am

What is the best tactical way to get the one ring out with FW Saruman?

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Fri May 06, 2011 2:12 pm

1) Play 3-deck games.

2) Issue an erratum for Blind to the West, which can cancel any ring test.

3) Here is the best FW Saruman dunk deck I've ever put together.

Haldalam

Post by Haldalam » Fri May 06, 2011 3:08 pm

Yes, I printed that out for guidance... I rather liked it myself. The only problem I have.... is, well... awkward... we are playing for fun and "historic" reference.... So, all of us build our decks from the books... trying to use what resources the characters did... I am roped with wormtongue, theoden, etc....

It will be harder to win, but th esame restrictions are upon everyone, this is mean to be fun...

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Sat May 07, 2011 1:01 pm

If you'r going with theme, use Wormtongue controlling Theoden, as well as Peath (Dunlendings) and possibly Ugluk. &nbsp;Starting resources would be Open to the Summons for Wormtongue, Thrall for Theoden, Thrall to play Ugluk, Saruman's Ring to be attached to Saruman as soon as he comes into play, and a Binding Ring.

You're going to be headed to the Gladden Fields, where Saruman did most of his searching, so try for draw using Short Rest as you bounce between Gladden Fields and Bandit Lair. &nbsp;the Scroll can be picked up at Dol Guldur or Mount Gundabad. &nbsp;Wind Throne/Dimrill Dale can provide info Ruins & Lairs. &nbsp;Sideboard in Hidden Haven so you can turn them into havens and play another New Ringlord if the previous turn's rolls didn't work out.

Haldalam

Post by Haldalam » Mon May 09, 2011 10:57 am

Excellent!
I do have a question though.... after reading Saruman's ring, it looked like you couldn't play it UNLESS Saruman was in play? Is that true? I am so used to playing VTES.... where you must actually have a character out of a specific type to be abel to play associated cards...

Anyway, the cards text implies that you can't play it unless he is in play? If he is not, how does it work?

Thank you in advance!!!

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Mon May 09, 2011 1:16 pm

Unique. Saruman specific. Place this card on Saruman if he is in play. If on Saruman, you may tap Saruman's Ring during your end-of-turn phase to take a ring item (other than The One Ring) from your discard pile to your hand.
Several FW Specific stage cards have this wording. &nbsp;It does not say "Playable on Saruman," which would indeed require that Saruman be in play (compare with First of the Order.)

These Stage Events are playable when stage events are playable -- either as starting stage resources or during the organization phase. &nbsp;The wording of the cards indicates that they will only have an effect once they are actually placed on the character in question.

Haldalam

Post by Haldalam » Mon May 09, 2011 1:58 pm

excellent.... ok, it is a wording issue. I am going to have to take a closer look at some of the other cards then in th eset.

thanks again!!!