Best Sets for a Beginner

Discuss the way <b>you</b> play (strategy, etc., etc.)

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

SerAndrew

Best Sets for a Beginner

Post by SerAndrew » Thu May 03, 2007 7:06 pm

I've done a little research and it seems like the faction decks are a good way to begin. So far, I have a wizards starter and a lidless eye starter. But which sets are better for boosters? Seems like dragons is cheap, along with wizards and white hand. I guess if someone could rank the sets from best to worst that would help the most.

Ringbearer

Post by Ringbearer » Thu May 03, 2007 10:21 pm

Define "good." Its about what you want to play, which cards you seek. Dragons is usually a good way to start, since its so easy to get.
Player of killer hazards no-one else ever dares to play :D

SerAndrew

Post by SerAndrew » Thu May 03, 2007 10:52 pm

Well, I really like ringwraiths, so I'm sure lidless eye is good for that. I guess a better question is: what are the strengths/focal points of each set?

Leon

Post by Leon » Fri May 04, 2007 7:13 am

If you want to play the game and do not want to buy to much at the start make the choice somewhere if you want to be hero or minion. Ringwraiths look good but do not really do anything outside the havens usually, while the wizards can be much more active. In general minions are somewhat stronger than hero's, while hero resources are worth more points to balance that.

The best thing would probably be to play some games with decks borowed from someone near you if possible or play some games on internet gccg.

As you start collecting The Wizards and The Lidless Eye are both the basic sets for each allignment, which have enough cards and possibilities to build nice decks and keep you occupied for some time. The expansions are mainly additional cards.

The best expansions for game purposes are the Dragons for hero's and Against the Shadow for minions. Do not worry about White Hand until you have a substantial hero collection and quite some experience with the game. Do not worry about the Balrog unless you stumble upon a cheap set somewhere, because the price of that set has risen way too high.

Also The Wizards and the Dragons are relatively cheap and The Lidless Eye and Against the Shadow more expensive. To get a start with the game you could also try to buy the challenge decks, then you have 5 decks of each allignment to start with.

SerAndrew

Post by SerAndrew » Fri May 04, 2007 3:20 pm

thanks for the advice! Why is white hand so complex? I found a cheap booster box on ebay for that set...

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Fri May 04, 2007 3:31 pm

With the White Hand you have the option to play as a Fallen-Wizard. &nbsp;Their strategies are quite complex and since you can use both hero and minion resources you need to have a lot of cards. &nbsp;Sideboarding is much more important for FW decks than other decks in general.

If I were you I'd start with playing hero. &nbsp;It is in my opinion the easiest to learn and there are a wide variety of strategies you can use. &nbsp;Also it is fairly easy to obtain Wizards, Dragons, and Dark Minion cards.

Sly Southerner

Post by Sly Southerner » Sat May 05, 2007 4:32 am

Hero is also more 'intuitive' and you get to use familiar characters and make cool plays described in the books.
So that's where that southerner is hiding...He looks more than half like a goblin.

Warlord of Gondor

Post by Warlord of Gondor » Thu May 10, 2007 2:59 pm

Really, the White Hand is probably the most complex set. The rest are easier to learn.
One does not simply walk into Mordor. They nuke it!

Join my card forum at cardgames.niceboard.com

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sat May 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Moved :arrow: Tips & Tricks: we're talking what to go play here, so I've moved this alongside the other playing tips.

White Hand isn't only complex, it relies heavily on cards from the previous sets, so getting that White Hand box won't do you any good till you have a good number of other cards (mainly hero ones) as well.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.