A Chance Meeting

Ask any question regarding the game's (official) rules

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

henrikbe

A Chance Meeting

Post by henrikbe » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:17 am

Just a simple question: when can this card be played? Anytime? Or during the org.phase only? If it's played during the org.phase, are you allowed to play another character as well?
Henrik

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:40 am

You can play it whenever you'd be allowed to play a resource short-event, which basically comes down to almost anytime during your turn.

1) it doesn't count against the 1 character per turn limit;
2) note that you can't play it during the site phase until you've faced the automatic attack

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:09 am

Is that really so?

A character (even a Hobbit) may be brought into play with direct influence at any Free-hold [F], Border-hold , or Ruins & Lairs [R].

Can you play it during your movement/hazard phase? You are not at a site then ... :?:

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:43 pm

Okay, that is a limitation as well. However if you'd be squatting you could still play it during the m/h phase, I think...

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:48 pm

That you can.

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:50 pm

Rules say that:
1.you can bring into play one character per turn
2.you can bring into play a character in an organization phase
3.you can bring into play a character at home site or a haven

Can you tell me which part of the card text changes rules 1 and 2?

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm

Jaded wrote:Can you tell me which part of the card text changes rules 1 and 2?
Text isn't overly clear, but rulings have laid down the exact meaning, as clarified above. These are in the CRF and somewhere in the last few ICE digests.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:31 pm

Where can I get those digests and CRF (found nothing in crf151)?

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:43 pm

Well, on the rules page of course (see announcement top of this board), or more specifically: digest 585.
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:08 pm

Also, remind that in general, if a card text conflicts with rules text, the card text takes preference.

|Highwayman|

Post by |Highwayman| » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:31 pm

i'll throw in another question about A Chance Meeting to be completely sure about something:
when A Chance Meeting is played on a company with An Unexpected Party, you still can play only 1 characrter with A Chance Meeting, even if he's a dwarf
right?

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:35 pm

|Highwayman| wrote:when A Chance Meeting is played on a company with An Unexpected Party, you still can play only 1 characrter with A Chance Meeting, even if he's a dwarf
right?
Yes

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:14 am

Lord Leuber wrote:Also, remind that in general, if a card text conflicts with rules text, the card text takes preference.
I know, but I do not see that conflict (as I wrote above)

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:09 pm

Just a small question.  Why can't you play ACM during the site phase as you face the auto-attack?  I realize you can't do anything before you face the auto-attack, but when facing an attack you can play resources that affect strike assignments.  If you bring a character into play and he faces a strike wouldn't that count?

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:17 pm

Jaded wrote:I know, but I do not see that conflict (as I wrote above)
I can't say I really see it either here. It is my impression that ICE somehow thought erratum is a bad word or something: it is not the only ruling they issued labeled a  clarification that should IMHO have been called an erratum instead, as it significantly adds to / alters the printed card text.
Wacho wrote:Just a small question.  Why can't you play ACM during the site phase as you face the auto-attack?  I realize you can't do anything before you face the auto-attack, but when facing an attack you can play resources that affect strike assignments.  If you bring a character into play and he faces a strike wouldn't that count?
You sure that is a small question? :roll: Both your conflicting statements look right to me at first glance. I looked it up and there wasn't anything ruled at the card level (i.e. for A Chance Meeting (or We Have come to Kill) specifically). So you may well be right that you can strenghten a company with an extra character at that stage. Quite frankly I have never wondered about that, as people almost exclusively prefer to bring the character in nicely fresh and untapped after the automatic attack. Perhaps Lord Leuber can enlighten us further?
Last edited by Gwaihir on Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.