Gothmog Playability

Ask any question regarding the game's (official) rules

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Morgoth the Black

Gothmog Playability

Post by Morgoth the Black » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:55 pm

Unique. Troll. One strike. May also be played following an Orc or Troll attack in a Shadow-land [s] or Shadow-hold [S].
So if I were to play Gothmog on guard, lets say at The Wind-Throne or Moria and my opponent's company enters the site, would I be able to reveal him and have him attack the company after they face the Orc automatic attack?

Konrad Klar

Post by Konrad Klar » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:37 pm

No - for three reasons.

First:
Lidless Eye wrote:Placing A Card On-Guard
[...]
The card will remain on that site until one of the following occurs:

* The company decides to face the site's automatic-attack. If the on-guard card is a hazard creature keyed to the company's site or a hazard that can modify the automatic-attack, it may be revealed before the automatic-attack is resolved. If it is a hazard creature, it will attack after the automatic-attack is resolved.
CRF, Errata (cards) wrote:Gothmog is not keyed to anything, the Orc or Troll he is played after must be keyed to
a Shadow-land or Dark-domain.
Underlines mine.

Second and third:
CRF, Turn Sequence, Site Phase, On-Guard Cards wrote:Rules Erratum: An on-guard card may only be revealed if it could have also been
played during the movement/hazard phase. This means all targets of the card must
have existed during the movement/hazard phase in order for the card to be revealed.
Orcs AA attack was not faced in movement/hazard phase and Orcs AA is not creature attack keyed to :S: or :s: .

P.S. CRF says :
"the Orc or Troll he is played after must be keyed to a Shadow-land or Dark-domain."
while text of Gothmog says about Shadow-land or Shadow-hold.

Another sign that errata need an errata.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.