Playing the Warg-king with Fallen Wizard company

Ask any question regarding the game's (official) rules

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Morgoth the Black

Playing the Warg-king with Fallen Wizard company

Post by Morgoth the Black » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:24 am

In the Fallen Wizard rules it states under the movement section of the rulebook:
A Fallen-wizard's non-overt compaines must use hero sites for sites that are not Ruins & Lairs.
Under the Playing and Using Resources section of the rulebook it additionally states:
In order to play a non-Fallen-wizard resource that would normally tap a site, either the site and the resource to be played must both be hero cards or they must both be minion cards...This applies to all factions, allies and items; as well as any other cards played during the site phase that taps the site.
So if I wanted to play the Warg-King at a border-hold with a non-overt company, the border-hold would have to be a hero border-hold?  Or is it I just cannot play the Warg-king with a non-overt company?

If the latter is the case, there is also the situation where one can play the Warg-King at an already tapped site.  In such a case the Warg-King is not a resource that taps the site because the site is already tapped.  Thus wouldnt it be legal to play the Warg-King at an already tapped hero border-hold site with a non-overt company?

Konrad Klar

Post by Konrad Klar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:15 pm

The Warg-King is playable at  :R: with Wolf automatic-attack, so there is no way (under normal circumstances) to play it at  :B: (no matter - hero, or minion).
It is a minion resource, so it may not be played by FW company at hero site.
If you are asking for other minion resource playable at :B: that would tap site (e.g minion Hillmen) then company must be overt, or Heart Grown Cold/Plotting Ruin/Cast from The Order must be in play in order to use minion :B: by FW company. Alternatively Double-Dealing may be played on hero :B: - then minion resources that normally would tap a site may be played there.
In order to play a non-Fallen-wizard resource that would normally tap a site, either the site and the resource to be played must both be hero cards or they must both be minion cards..
Underline mine.

The rule does not check whether a resource that is played at a site taps the site or not. The rule checks only whether the resource would tap a site (when played at it). There are many reasons for which a resource that would tap the site does not tap it. Site may be already tapped, or site may never tap (minion The Worthy Hills), site may be under effect of Come by Night Upon Theem, or the resource may be a minor item played immediatelly after ally, item, faction that (actually) taps site.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Morgoth the Black

Post by Morgoth the Black » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:14 pm

oops, I forgot the ruins & lairs part on the warg king.  I thought it was just any site with a wolf automatic attack.   I was thinking of the case if one has fell winter in play to make the warg-king playable at a border-hold.  Thanks for the clarification though.