Question about Dragon factions

Ask any question regarding the game's (official) rules

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Eyelid

Question about Dragon factions

Post by Eyelid » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:46 pm

Hello to all,

This applies to other Dragon factions, but by way of example, let's consider the text on Agburanar Roused:
Unique. Manifestation of Agburanar. Playable at Caves of Ûlund if the influence check is greater than 12.  Modifications: influencer discards a major item (+3) or a greater item (+6). All attacks by manifestations of Agburanar against your companies are canceled. Any company moving in Withered Heath, Northern Rhovanion, Grey Mountain Narrows, and/or Iron Hills faces one attack: Dragon-two strikes at 15/9 prowess/body.
I'd just like to make sure of one thing: because Caves of Ûlund is in Withered Heath, as you play this faction and then leave this site, must the departing company face the Dragon attack of two strikes at 15/9? If so, can the company prevent this by using starter movement?

Thanks for your help.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Ford Prefect
"If you believe in Eternity, then life is irrelevant". House M.D.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:46 pm

Yes, it applies to all companies, but per the same card text, if you have influenced the Dragon faction, the attack is canceled.

I'm pretty sure that starter movement overcomes this, but may be mistaken.

Eyelid

Post by Eyelid » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:08 pm

Thanks, Benjamin, but the text on Agburanar Roused simply says that any company traveling in one of those regions faces a Dragon attack, not an attack from a manifestation of Agburanar.
So doesn't this mean that the company that just infuenced this faction would have to face this attack, unless as I suggested the company uses starter movement?

zirilan

Post by zirilan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:59 pm

Bandobras Took wrote:I'm pretty sure that starter movement overcomes this, but may be mistaken.
Starter movement includes the starting region by name and the ending region by name, all other regions in the path only by symbol (without region name).

Eyelid

Post by Eyelid » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:05 pm

So then you couldn't circumvent the attack by using starter movement, which means there's actually no way to avoid the attack, because although you're protected against any attacks by Agburanar or one of its manifestations, the attack created by this card simply says "a" Dragon attack.
Unless, of course, you should interpret the attack as an attack by Agburanar, but I was unable to find a ruling on this.

Eyelid

Post by Eyelid » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm

I eventually did find something about this in the old newsgroups.
Back in 1998, Craig O'Brien, ICE's rulesmaster, clarified in the following terms:
In article <359D2B53.35E04...@ibm.net>, mpe...@ibm.net wrote:
> I recruit a dragon Faction.
> Does the attack for moving through a region listed apply to me as well
> as my opponent?
> The card says "any company moving through ....."

No, the attack is a manifestation of the dragon, and as list on the faction
it is cancelled.
------- &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;"The Crossing-guard of Mordor" &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;-------
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Remove spamblock to reply by email
Assistant Editor, Iron Crown Enterprises &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Me:CCG Official Netrep
So regardless of how you choose to leave the site (starter or region movement), you're immune to the attack, which makes sense.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:08 pm

Consider also Agburanar Ahunt:
Unique. Any company moving in Withered Heath, Northern Rhovanion, Iron Hills, and/or Grey Mountain Narrows immediately faces one Dragon attack (considered a hazard creature attack) -- 3 strikes at 13/8.
If Doors of Night is in play, this attack also affects: Southern Rhovanion, Dorwinion, Heart of Mirkwood, and Woodland Realm.
It is not specified here that the Dragon attack is Agburanar, but the rules insert for the Dragons makes it clear that Dragon attacks created by a Manifestation of a Unique Dragon are attacks by the Dragon in question.

Eyelid

Post by Eyelid » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:23 pm

Perfectly clear now, thanks again!

Leon

Post by Leon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Because the Dragon factions attack is a manifestation of the Dragon, you should take care that it is not killed by an opponent. This could be a reason not to play this against heroes, since they have Wormsbane, Black Arrow, Sacrifice of Form etc to kill Dragons

Marcos

Post by Marcos » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:34 pm

i assume then that if you play a dragon faction, and opponent has prowess of age, you have to face your own dragon? &nbsp;:lol:

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:47 pm

Nope.

You can use the ability of the Dragon Faction again to attempt to cancel the attack again.

You get multiple chances to cancel an attack.

Marcos

Post by Marcos » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:17 pm

Sauron wrote:Nope.

You can use the ability of the Dragon Faction again to attempt to cancel the attack again.

You get multiple chances to cancel an attack.
what about that crazy deck idea about indur (unleashed) attacking at Fallen wizardhavens? isnt it a similar case?

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:38 pm

No.

There is a difference between "Attack may not be cancelled" and "Cancels an attempt to cancel."

Because there is time for multiple chains in while facing an attack, just cancelling one attempt to cancel the attack won't cut it.

You have to make the attack uncancellable.