Random Beginner Questions

Ask any question regarding the game's (official) rules

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

spacemarine17

Random Beginner Questions

Post by spacemarine17 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:12 pm

Hello it's been a long time since I was here and I finally got to play a full game with one of my friends who was interested in this game. I have a few random  questions for anyone willing to answer (NOTE: we used the challenge Decks B and D):

1) If my opponent's Company of 4 characters moves to Moria (Auto-Attack of 4 strikes) does my hazard (Lawless Men with 2 Strikes) immediately become -1 modifications since the strikes outnumber the characters in the company?

2)My company of Radagast, Legolas and Gimli are attacked by my opponent's hazards (Slayer, Slayer, and Corpse Candle).  My opponent chose for Radagast and Gimli to face each of her Slayer's (2 attacks toward 1 character; opponent's choice) When the time comes for Corpse candle to attack, can I choose any of my characters to fight it or does it have to be Legolas since he is the only one left who hasn't dealt with combat that turn?

2A) When my Radagast (equipped with Orcrist:+3 prowess) goes up against Slayer for the 1st strike can I choose not to tap him (thus making him a 6/9 since the -3 mod and his Orcrist +3 mod would cancel one another out)? Then for the second strike could I tap him so he'd return to his 9/9 status thanks to Orcrist?

2B) For Gimli against Slayer if I tap Gimli for the 1st strike to keep him at 5/8 does he get a -1 mod for the second strike of Slayer becuase he started tapped on Slayer's 2nd strike?

3) Region Movement.  (I am using Reiner Lach's map of ME found on the Dutch council site under "Downloads").
May I move from Beorn's House (Anduin Vales Region #17) to the Goblin Gate (High Pass Region #14)?  I ask this because I want to make sure I am using the numbers listed next to the regions properly.  

4)How many cards are allowed in your Location Deck?

5) I just saw Region Cards in the Wizards set from this site http://moormiddleearth.com
Do I need to pack those in my deck because I was using region movement by that map I mentioned earlier.

6) I plan on purchasing more cards and am very interested in Fallen Wizard's.  I only own Challenge Deck D, so should I purchase a White Hand booster box or get Dragons to help my Wizard deck first?  I heard that before you make a FW deck you should have plenty of hero resources and minion resources for variety with your deck.  I also heard that the Dragons set has plenty of staples for decks.  My sub question here is what staples are found in the Dragons set and did they happen to include those already in Challenge Deck D (Radagast)?

Thank you very much for your time, and I apologize for such beginner questions.  I also did not know if this should go under Beginner Central or Rules Questions. Sorry Mods.

-Adam.

ActualNewby

Post by ActualNewby » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:38 pm

Hey - I'm something of a beginner as well, so while I think I know the answers to most of your questions, I'll stick to those questions I feel confident in answering.

4. One of each unique site. So there is no "location deck size limit" - you are only limited by the number of unique sites that you own.

5. I would recommend forgetting about region cards. They were included in packs of The Wizards (the first base set) and they represent the same regions as the ones you see on the map. Suffice it to say, stick to using the map for region movement as the region cards are cumbersome and unintuitive, and, more to your question, there is no requirement that you include region cards in your deck if you are playing with region movement. Bottom line - use your map for region movement.

6. I recently asked a similar question about Fallen Wizards in this forum. The answer I got was sound: it's too soon. The joy of playing Fallen Wizards will escape a newby. As you state in your post, some mastery of both hero and minion play is required to appreciate and understand fallen wizard play (plus you need a boat load of cards).
Second point - yes, get some Dragons. The set is extremely cheap and includes much of the staples, and, without checking the contents of ChDeck D, I feel confident in saying you would benefit from a (cheap) box of Dragons.
Of course, don't let me discourage you from purchasing White Hand. It's a beautiful set, and, at the rate the market is going, the boxes of WH may be way more expensive by the time you master the game enough to play FW.
Olley Olley Oxen Free

spacemarine17

Post by spacemarine17 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:06 pm

ActualNewby wrote:Hey - I'm something of a beginner as well, so while I think I know the answers to most of your questions, I'll stick to those questions I feel confident in answering.

4. One of each unique site. So there is no "location deck size limit" - you are only limited by the number of unique sites that you own.

5. I would recommend forgetting about region cards. They were included in packs of The Wizards (the first base set) and they represent the same regions as the ones you see on the map. Suffice it to say, stick to using the map for region movement as the region cards are cumbersome and unintuitive, and, more to your question, there is no requirement that you include region cards in your deck if you are playing with region movement. Bottom line - use your map for region movement.

6. I recently asked a similar question about Fallen Wizards in this forum. The answer I got was sound: it's too soon. The joy of playing Fallen Wizards will escape a newby. As you state in your post, some mastery of both hero and minion play is required to appreciate and understand fallen wizard play (plus you need a boat load of cards).
Second point - yes, get some Dragons. The set is extremely cheap and includes much of the staples, and, without checking the contents of ChDeck D, I feel confident in saying you would benefit from a (cheap) box of Dragons.
Of course, don't let me discourage you from purchasing White Hand. It's a beautiful set, and, at the rate the market is going, the boxes of WH may be way more expensive by the time you master the game enough to play FW.
Thanks so much for answering. Damn I was afraid of having to put off FW's, and the price of booster boxes was my main concern.  I guess I should get a Wizard's starter too for more sites. Again thanks a lot I can now go purchase what I need.

-adam.

zirilan

Re: Random Beginner Questions

Post by zirilan » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:32 pm

spacemarine17 wrote: 1) If my opponent's Company of 4 characters moves to Moria (Auto-Attack of 4 strikes) does my hazard (Lawless Men with 2 Strikes) immediately become -1 modifications since the strikes outnumber the characters in the company?

During the movement-phase you have to face the 2 strikes with prowess 9 (Lawless Men). You can freely choose two of your untapped charakters to face that two strikes (if you get only one or even none untapped charakters, your opponent can choose two of your charakters that have to face the strikes).

At the begin of your site-phase you can choose to eigher enter Moria and face the automatic attack or not to enter the site (not facing the automatic attack). If you choose to enter the site you have to assign the four strikes to four untapped charakters (if you do not have enough untapped charakters, you have to assign strikes to all your untapped charakters and the remaining strikes to tapped / wounded charakters of your opponents choice.

2)My company of Radagast, Legolas and Gimli are attacked by my opponent's hazards (Slayer, Slayer, and Corpse Candle).  My opponent chose for Radagast and Gimli to face each of her Slayer's (2 attacks toward 1 character; opponent's choice) When the time comes for Corpse candle to attack, can I choose any of my characters to fight it or does it have to be Legolas since he is the only one left who hasn't dealt with combat that turn?

You have to assign the strike of Corpse Candle to an untapped charakter of your choice, if none available your opponent chooses one of your tapped / wounded charakters to face the strike.

2A) When my Radagast (equipped with Orcrist:+3 prowess) goes up against Slayer for the 1st strike can I choose not to tap him (thus making him a 6/9 since the -3 mod and his Orcrist +3 mod would cancel one another out)? Then for the second strike could I tap him so he'd return to his 9/9 status thanks to Orcrist?

Thats totaly legal to do but not very clever (if you want to tap your wizard eighter way, you should better tap him for the 1st attack to have 9/9 and face the 2nd attack with -1 penality to prowess and have him 8/9).

2B) For Gimli against Slayer if I tap Gimli for the 1st strike to keep him at 5/8 does he get a -1 mod for the second strike of Slayer becuase he started tapped on Slayer's 2nd strike?

Thats right, Gimli recives a -1 penality to prowess when faceing a strike while beeing tapped.

3) Region Movement.  (I am using Reiner Lach's map of ME found on the Dutch council site under "Downloads").
May I move from Beorn's House (Anduin Vales Region #17) to the Goblin Gate (High Pass Region #14)?  I ask this because I want to make sure I am using the numbers listed next to the regions properly.

High Pass and Anduin Vales are two adjusted regions, you can move from Beorn's House to Goblin Gate if Goblin Gate ist still untapped or another of your companies is currently at the tapped Goblin Gate.

4)How many cards are allowed in your Location Deck?

You may add each none haven site once in your location deck and as many copies of haven sites as you want.

5) I just saw Region Cards in the Wizards set from this site http://moormiddleearth.com
Do I need to pack those in my deck because I was using region movement by that map I mentioned earlier.

Noneone really plays with region cards. Just point at the reagions you are moveing through once revealing your new site card to your opponent.

spacemarine17

Post by spacemarine17 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:54 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much Zirilan!  It seems to me that kept sort of mashing the Movement/Hazard phase with the Site Phase.

-adam.