The Dark Power

Ask any question regarding the game's (official) rules

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Nameless thing

The Dark Power

Post by Nameless thing » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:42 am

Hi, I would like to make clear one thing with this card:

The Dark Power Short-event
Playable if you are Sauron. +3 to an influence check against a faction. If the check is not successful, shuffle the faction into your play deck.

What happens when Sauron player tries to influence opponent's faction and plays this card? Is he allowed to do that? If so does it mean that Sauron always gets the faction from the table (either by successfull influencing or the effect of The Dark Power)?

My 2 cents: Thematically it could fit that an army sees the power of the Dark Lord and realises how a nice place home is. However , this interpretation sounds sort of illegal to me (but I had to ask). The weak point of the intepretation above is if there is a clear distinction between an influence check and influence attempt as well as the specification that the faction is shuffled into the Sauron's deck (inter alia it could be a violation of the uniqueness rule but stealing the faction card sounds cool).

Any ideas?

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:55 pm

CRF Targets wrote:You cannot target an opponent's character or resources with your own resources.
The +3 bonus targets the dice roll and so may be played even when influencing an opponent's faction.

The effect which shuffles the faction into the play deck does target the faction and so will not be applied when played on an attempt to influence an opponent's faction.

Ringbearer

Post by Ringbearer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:03 am

I agree with Took, with the side note that if you reveal a faction to reduce the roll to 0 and you fail anyway, you can shuffle that faction back.
Player of killer hazards no-one else ever dares to play :D

Nameless thing

Post by Nameless thing » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:26 pm

Silly me :oops: Overlooked the obvious.