MEWH questions...

Ask any question regarding the game's (official) rules

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

karsten

MEWH questions...

Post by karsten » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:14 am

first of all compliments for the wonderful forum! i've been lurking for a while, but now i've coame out with some questions...

i've yet to start playing as a fallen wizard, but i have a question bugging me concerning rings...

if i play a minion ring, and test it, can i change it only with minion rings?

i mean let's say i roll a magic ring/lesser ring on a minion ring. can i play a hero lesser/magic or i should only play a minion one? and viceversa?

and if i play a resource card stating that i can take ANY ring card from my hand and play it? can i play a hero magic ring on a minion ring?

thanks for your answers! i'll be adding MEWH related questions to this topic quite pften, so keep visiting!

Dam

Re: MEWH questions...

Post by Dam » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:37 am

karsten wrote:if i play a minion ring, and test it, can i change it only with minion rings?

i mean let's say i roll a magic ring/lesser ring on a minion ring. can i play a hero lesser/magic or i should only play a minion one? and viceversa?
From WH rules:

"Note: When the test of a gold ring indicates that a specific type of ring may be played, you may play either a hero or a minion ring of the appropriate type. "
"A dirty mind is its own reward."

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:01 am

thanks, i'm shocked i didn't notice...

so i can play the elusive spirit rings on an hero ring using secret of their forgings or such?

edit:i mean that no hero spirit rings exists

Dam

Post by Dam » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:13 am

You still need a Gold Ring that can give you Spirit Rings in the first place. When testing, you can't get a result other than those on the Gold Ring. Getting minion rings that can get Spirit Rings can be a chore (free/border-holds and dragon lair IIRC).

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:01 am

Dam wrote:You still need a Gold Ring that can give you Spirit Rings in the first place. When testing, you can't get a result other than those on the Gold Ring. Getting minion rings that can get Spirit Rings can be a chore (free/border-holds and dragon lair IIRC).
sorry i think i haven't explained mmyself well enough...

but what if i use a card that allows me to use any ring from my hand (beside the one ring)?

i.e. i have an hero gold ring, and i play the card, in english i guess it's knowledge of the rings, that allows me to play any ring i have in my hand?

i could not play it while testing because it can't became a spirit ring by rolling, but the other card says any ring beside the one ring.

Nameless thing

Post by Nameless thing » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:23 am

Hi,

As I understand, there were in fact 2 questions: 1) Is it possible to play minion rong after testing hero gold ring item and vice versa? The answer is yes, as indicated in MEWH Rules.
2) If a resource card is played stating that the player can take any ring card from his/her hand and play it, can he do the same (i.e. play minion ring with hero gold ring item and vice versa)? If the resource does not mean testing the ring, it is not possible, as you cannot target minion resource with hero resource (and traditionally vice versa). Note that you should play the appropriate testing resource on a gold ring (test of form with hero GR, test of fire on minion ring).

Dam

Post by Dam » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:57 am

karsten wrote:but what if i use a card that allows me to use any ring from my hand (beside the one ring)?

i.e. i have an hero gold ring, and i play the card, in english i guess it's knowledge of the rings, that allows me to play any ring i have in my hand?

i could not play it while testing because it can't became a spirit ring by rolling, but the other card says any ring beside the one ring.
Ah, you mean Ringlore/Secrets of their Forging, the card that has you tap a sage at an information site?

Both of those cards state that basically, you "play to test a gold ring, but don't need to roll". Since you can only get a ring listed on the gold ring by a test...

On a side note, Wizard's Test can be used to test both hero and minion gold rings.

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:19 pm

Nameless thing wrote:Hi,

As I understand, there were in fact 2 questions: 1) Is it possible to play minion rong after testing hero gold ring item and vice versa? The answer is yes, as indicated in MEWH Rules.
2) If a resource card is played stating that the player can take any ring card from his/her hand and play it, can he do the same (i.e. play minion ring with hero gold ring item and vice versa)? If the resource does not mean testing the ring, it is not possible, as you cannot target minion resource with hero resource (and traditionally vice versa). Note that you should play the appropriate testing resource on a gold ring (test of form with hero GR, test of fire on minion ring).
what about secret of their forgings and ringlore?

ringlore states:

Sage only, only playable at a site where "Information" is playable, and only if a character in his company has a Gold Ring. Play to test a Gold Ring. No roll (or draw) is used. The player may replace the Gold Ring with any ring from his hand (except for The One Ring). Playable only during site phase. Tap the sage and the site.

can this target a minion ring? if not it can target a hero ring and allowing me to play a minion one?

instead secret of their forging says:

Sage only. Playable on a sage during the site phase at a site where Information is playable if a character in his company has a gold ring item. Tap the sage and the site. You may replace the gold ring with a special item ring from your hand (except for The One Ring) for which the gold ring could normally be tested. Discard the gold ring item.

also both cards doesn't tecnichally target any card, right?

Dam

Post by Dam » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:25 pm

From the  CoE forums:

"You cannot target hero resource with minion resource event and vice versa. However spells and magic are exception.

So you can use Wizard's Test and Test of Fire for testing minion ring, but cannot use Test of Form, Test of Lore, nor Ringlore."

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:18 pm

Dam wrote:From the  CoE forums:

"You cannot target hero resource with minion resource event and vice versa. However spells and magic are exception.

So you can use Wizard's Test and Test of Fire for testing minion ring, but cannot use Test of Form, Test of Lore, nor Ringlore."
great help, really! thanks.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:02 pm

It is entirely possible that Ringlore can let you replace a Hero Gold Ring item with a Spirit Ring; I'm not sure this has ever been ruled on.  There are a number of cards whose minion equivalent functions differently from the hero counterpart (Muster/Threats, Friend or Three/Join With That Power, etc.)

The only countering argument for Ringlore not being able to give you Spirit Rings is that there was no need to make a distinction when Ringlore was written; all Gold Ring Items could be tested for any type of Ring.

Nevertheless, Ringlore's text allows a FW player to play Spirit Rings as it currently stands.

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:49 am

Bandobras Took wrote:It is entirely possible that Ringlore can let you replace a Hero Gold Ring item with a Spirit Ring; I'm not sure this has ever been ruled on.  There are a number of cards whose minion equivalent functions differently from the hero counterpart (Muster/Threats, Friend or Three/Join With That Power, etc.)

The only countering argument for Ringlore not being able to give you Spirit Rings is that there was no need to make a distinction when Ringlore was written; all Gold Ring Items could be tested for any type of Ring.

Nevertheless, Ringlore's text allows a FW player to play Spirit Rings as it currently stands.
ah! this great news then! :)

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:18 am

The question is whether Ringlore targets the gold ring.  If it does, you can't play it on a minion ring.  If it doesn't then you can and so you could get a Spirit Ring.  I believe it does target the gold ring though, so you can't do it.

Nameless thing

Post by Nameless thing » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:16 am

As Ringlore says "play to test a gold ring" then you should follow the sentence "When the test of a gold ring indicates that a specific type of ring may be played, you may play either a hero or a minion ring of the appropriate type" from the WH Rules, since the play of a special ring item after the play of Ringlore is a consequence of the gold ring test.

To sum up:
1) you have a hero gold ring in one company and Ringlore, minion dwarven ring, minion spirit ring and hero lesser ring in you hand;
2) you play Ringlore, and as it probably targets the hero gold ring ("play to test a gold ring") you cannot do so if the gold ring were minion;
3) A test with no roll follows hence the rule "when the test of a gold ring etc. " applies (lets say no roll is used but you decide the test value is the number needed for specific ring);
4) You can play either the hero lesser ring or minion dwarven ring as both dw. rings and lesser rings culd be played if the test roll has the appropriate value according to the gold ring text;
5) Spirit ring cannot be played as a hero gold ring cannot be tested as spirit ring.

Nameless thing

Post by Nameless thing » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:18 am

Ringlore also must be played on a hero site as it targets the site as well.