Nenya ... its timing

Ask any question regarding the game's (official) rules

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

melkor_morgoth75

Nenya ... its timing

Post by melkor_morgoth75 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:54 am

Hi all,

i'm wondering about this part of the text of Nenya: "Any one corruption check made by a character not in a Shadow-hold [S] or Dark-hold [D] is automatically successful."

When does it trigger? Is still valid for ALL the turn as the first part? (Galadriel only. +2 prowess, +2 body, +2 direct influence for the rest of the turn. Galadriel makes a corruption check modified by -3, by -1 if in a Haven [H])

Or ... should i play Nenya in response of a single corruption check and then it is automatically successful?  Or ... is it true for ANY corruption check i have to face at the time i play Nenya?

Thanks,

mm75

Leon

Post by Leon » Fri May 30, 2008 9:02 am

I believe you have to play it in response to a corruption check. I have seen perfect examples of that in Wim van Heemskerks elven rings deck, with
Elrond, Galadriel and their respective rings.

Konrad Klar

Post by Konrad Klar » Fri May 30, 2008 9:32 am

I don't believe so.
I think that words any one are key.
That words in that conjunction indicate, that player has choice. He can choose any one cc of appropriate type, while effect of Nany is in play (effects of short-events lasts until end of turn if not stated otherwise in its text).

Otherwise text of Nenya would be like:
"a corruption check is automatically passed", or "one corruption check is automatically successful",
and cc would be target, i. e. Nanya would be playable only in response to declared cc.

P.S.
Compare it with text of Ancient Black Axe.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

melkor_morgoth75

Post by melkor_morgoth75 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:49 am

Konrad Klar wrote:I don't believe so.
I think that words any one are key.
That words in that conjunction indicate, that player has choice. He can choose any one cc of appropriate type, while effect of Nany is in play (effects of short-events lasts until end of turn if not stated otherwise in its text).

Otherwise text of Nenya would be like:
"a corruption check is automatically passed", or "one corruption check is automatically successful",
and cc would be target, i. e. Nanya would be playable only in response to declared cc.

P.S.
Compare it with text of Ancient Black Axe.
I'm with you here :-))) I have the same interpretation, i could eventually choose to skip an automatic check if i want.

mm75

Konrad Klar

Post by Konrad Klar » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:13 am

Leon wrote:I believe you have to play it in response to a corruption check. I have seen perfect examples of that in Wim van Heemskerks elven rings deck, with
Elrond, Galadriel and their respective rings.
Of course, it makes sense to play Nenya in response to cc. If you see that your character is facing dangerous cc, you can play Nanya to rescue him. If such cc is not declared, you can save Nenya for better occasion.

But it is different situation than playing New Friendship, which may be done only in response to cc, or inluence check (dice-rolling actions may be targeted in the same chain of effects in which it was declared).
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.