Great Ship and Threats: Some clarification needed

Ask any question regarding the game's (official) rules

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Konrad Klar

Post by Konrad Klar » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:41 pm

This is correct.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

thorondor

Post by thorondor » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:16 am

i am confused now.
does that mean, that i can cancel Lost at Sea with Great Ship. i cant do it immeditadly after it is played, but i can cancel the effect later (which is nice enough for the resource player)???

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:45 am

Yes.  Short-events cannot be cancelled before they resolve with Great Ship, however Lost at Sea has a continuing effect which can be targeted and cancelled with Great Ship.

Marcos

Post by Marcos » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:54 pm

first you said:
Konrad wrote:Because text of Great Ship does not contain clause that allows for canceling a declared effect before it resolve it cannot protect from short-events like Lost At Sea.
then you say:
tuk wrote:Great Ship/Leaflock/TomBo can not cancel anything in the same chain of effects.
But they can cancel on-going effects of short events resolved earlier.
konrad wrote:This is correct
i'm kinda dizzy...

P.S.: If this hole thing results that great ship can cancel an already resolved lost at sea, i'll have to ask wolfgang to forgive me about what happend in our nations cup game, sorry man, didn't know about this  :oops:

Konrad Klar

Post by Konrad Klar » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:45 pm

Some hazard short-events creates at it's resoulution result that cannot be interrupted or cancelled later.
Examples are:

returning to the site of origin,
discardning, tapping, wounding a card,
dice-rolling actions.

Such things are irreversible. Player can only later correct/heal  "damages" caused by them. In other words there is nothing to cancel after resolution of such actions.

Some other caues effects lasts by some time and disappears later (are reversible).
Short-event is discarded when resolved, but its continuing effect is still in play.
Examples are:

inabilities (of taking activity in site phase),
temporal penalties to some atribiutes,
effects that makes target company more vulnerable on certain attacks (e.g. Worm's Stench).

In other words "continuing effect" can be interrupted (cancelled) after discarding of cards that has create it.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

thorondor

Post by thorondor » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:54 pm

Marcos wrote: P.S.: If this hole thing results that great ship can cancel an already resolved lost at sea, i'll have to ask wolfgang to forgive me about what happend in our nations cup game, sorry man, didn't know about this  :oops:
hej marcos, dont worry too much about it! even wigy confirmed during our game, that i cannot cancel lost at sea. after all, he is GOD!
well, at least i have a good excuse for this terrible game now ;-)

and chances were very small to make it to semi finals for austria anyway.

Beornd

Post by Beornd » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:57 am

Great  :) Ressurection of the costal decks.

please for the future - after an explanation of the problem - try to give a short and directly answer and if neccessary an also short argumentation, like this
Yes.  Short-events cannot be cancelled before they resolve with Great Ship, however Lost at Sea has a continuing effect which can be targeted and cancelled with Great Ship.
so we will not be confused und perhaps entered  the semis  8O
bb

ordagnir

Post by ordagnir » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:21 am

GREAT! got afraid during the discussion that my deck was ruined. But it seems like it still will work.
Halbarad hands off! go back and play with your ithil-stone thing! :twisted:  :twisted:

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:48 pm

Lets assume Wolfgang would have won 6:0. Flaneltina would still have more TP than Austria.
Luckily it didnt influence anything in the tournament as marcos is captain and automatically seated as Flaneltina`s no. 1 in finals.
The only thing happened is that Wolfgang probably didnt have much fun in his last game.  :?

thorondor

Post by thorondor » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:10 pm

Old Tuk wrote: The only thing happened is that Wolfgang probably didnt have much fun in his last game.  :?
probelm was, that two of our team have been playing with great ships (i gwanunig as well).
anyway, we were far from reaching the semis, so its okay.
Old Tuk wrote: The only thing happened is that Wolfgang probably didnt have much fun in his last game.  :?
oh well, there is some truth in it.

Marcos

Post by Marcos » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:16 pm

sorry again  :oops: