Stupid Questions from a new player...I apologize.

Ask any question regarding the game's (official) rules

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

spacemarine17

Stupid Questions from a new player...I apologize.

Post by spacemarine17 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:15 pm

Hello.

So I played my first game (sort of) yesterday.  I just have 2 (for you guys) simple questions:

1) On faction cards (i.e. Beornings) if the influence check is successful then "Standard Modifications Men (+1)"
What is modified? +1 to influence checks? or +1 to all rolls involving Men?

2) If I move from Lorien to Beorn's House.  Can I move from Beorn's house to Dancing Spire (because they both share the same NEarest Haven?) or do I have to backtrack to Lorien, then move to Dancing Spire?

If part2 of Question 2 is correct then:

3) What do I do with Beorn's House?  Discard it or pace it back in my location deck?

Thank you for your time.

-a.

alfon82

Post by alfon82 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:39 pm

When you are trying to get a faction you make an influence attempt. In your case, if a man, e.g. Beorn, is trying to get the Beornings, the roll would be modified with +1 because Beorn is a man.

If you use standard rules (the normal case) you can do region movement, so that if your destiny is within 4 regions from your actual place, you can go without going to Lorien.

If you get the faction, you have to tap the place. Once you move away from the place, you have to discard it.

All this is explained in the rules, you can check it out there to get a better explanation.

spacemarine17

Post by spacemarine17 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:54 pm

Ah ok, so the problem is lack of reading comprehension when it comes to the rules.  I've been bouncing back and forth from the book that came with the challenge decks and with Ichabod's explanation of the rules (I don't believe that he gets into the whole region movement.

As for the standard mod for some reason I thought it meant for future rolls not that exact inf. check.

Well thank you very much.  Sorry for the lack of interesting Q's.

-adam

Konrad Klar

Post by Konrad Klar » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:34 pm

spacemarine17 wrote:1) On faction cards (i.e. Beornings) if the influence check is successful then "Standard Modifications Men (+1)"
This is misread:
On Beorning card is printed:
Playable at Beorn's House
if the influence check is greater that 7.

Standard Modifications: Men (+1)
That are two separate phrases.

Standard Modifications is modifier to the influence check, and is cumulative with other modifiers like e.g. New Friendship (+3).
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:56 am

spacemarine17 wrote:Ah ok, so the problem is lack of reading comprehension when it comes to the rules.  I've been bouncing back and forth from the book that came with the challenge decks and with Ichabod's explanation of the rules (I don't believe that he gets into the whole region movement.

As for the standard mod for some reason I thought it meant for future rolls not that exact inf. check.

Well thank you very much.  Sorry for the lack of interesting Q's.

-adam
The rules can be a nightmare.  You don't have to feel bad for asking questions.

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:47 am

Further clarification on your questions 2 and 3.

2.  If you are playing with just starter movement you have to go back to Lorien.  If you play with region movement (the way basically everyone plays) then you can travel direct from Beorn's House to Dancing Spire.

3.  If you have tapped a site then when you leave that site it will go to your discard pile (except havens), otherwise sites go back to your location deck at the end of the m/h phase.  Sites are normally tapped when you successfully play an item, ally, or faction at the site.  Sites can also be tapped by playing certain events.

Sly Southerner

Post by Sly Southerner » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:59 am

There is no such thing as a stupid question.  :)
So that's where that southerner is hiding...He looks more than half like a goblin.