Marvels Told and To Get You Away

Ask any question regarding the game's (official) rules

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Scactha

Marvels Told and To Get You Away

Post by Scactha » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:49 am

Scenario:

Agents reveals and attacks in the Movement/Hazard phase, succeeds in kidnapping a character, and returns to his/hers homesite. Following that a Sage Marvels Told(s) To Get You Away. What happens?

Is the prisoner released at it´s prisoner site but standing by the opponents sitecard? That seems very odd.
Is this life? Toil - Caine, Lord Byron

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:52 am

Dark Minion Rules Insert
[...] if the hazard host is discarded by a non-rescue mechanism (e. g., by Marvels Told), the character forms his own company at the rescue site.

Sauron_the_Great
Location: Alfter, Germany (normally Barad-Dur, Mordor but I'm on holidays at the moment)

Post by Sauron_the_Great » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:12 am

Ok, if he forms his own company at the rescue-site. So he just changes his opponent's site card for the site-card of his own.

But what happens, if (for any reason) HIS copy of the site is already discarded...
Can't the character form a new company (e.g. is discarded), will he just use the discarded (e.g. tapped) site-card out of the discard-pile or whatever else...

seems strange to me...

|Highwayman|

Post by |Highwayman| » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:52 am

the resource player always has to have and option to go and rescue his captured characters - so even if his own version of the rescue site is already discarded (or he doesn't have a copy whatsoever) then he uses the opponents site which is in play anyway as a host site

(this is a way to tap the same site twice - once you tapped your own copy and discarded it, wait till your opponent takes your character prisoner - then go rescue him using your opponent’s site and tap that one too by playing something there - when you leave the site it'll return to your opponent's location deck)

I'd guess the same goes when a character taken prisoner is 'rescued' by Marvels Told (or similar cards) - if you can play your own site for that character then you must do so, but if you can't you use your opponent's copy as long as you stay there
Why the heck is signature text limited to only 150 characters now?

Sauron_the_Great
Location: Alfter, Germany (normally Barad-Dur, Mordor but I'm on holidays at the moment)

Post by Sauron_the_Great » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:38 pm

Is that offical ruling, or (likes it's always for me :-) ) your personal oppinion (not that your personal oppinion isn't worth anything; don't misunderstand me, please) ?

|Highwayman|

Post by |Highwayman| » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:18 pm

since ICE stopped handling MECCG there are no official rulings :)

so it's just my oppinion based on what I know

Scactha

Post by Scactha » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:19 pm

Thanks for the prompt responses even though it embarrasingly enough was in the rules.  :oops:

How about an Agent revealing himself to attack at a particular site thanks to Nobodys Friend and then being Marvels Told? Is it considered a part of the 'action'-sequence and a legal play and if so how does the fizzle resolve? The Agent rolls back into unrevealed or is he left in some site limbo until he can hide or even discarded?
Is this life? Toil - Caine, Lord Byron

|Highwayman|

Post by |Highwayman| » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:02 pm

Marvels told always looses against Nobody's Friend and Inner Cunning
it works pretty much the same way as trying to Marvels Told a nazgul event

if Marvels was played first then the hazard player has the chance to respond by revealing the Nobody's Friend//Inner Cunning agent at a chosen site, and Marvles will fizzle as it has nothing to target

and playing Marvels in response to revealing a Nobody's Friend//Inner Cunning agent is also pointless as when the hazard player declares revealing the agent and chooses a site for him Nobody's Friend//Inner Cunning go to discard and are no longer there for Marvles to target

Beornd

Post by Beornd » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:01 am

he resource player always has to have and option to go and rescue his captured characters - so even if his own version of the rescue site is already discarded (or he doesn't have a copy whatsoever) then he uses the opponents site which is in play anyway as a host site
Is that offical ruling, or (likes it's always for me :-) ) your personal oppinion (not that your personal oppinion isn't worth anything; don't misunderstand me, please) ?

yes it is official.....Dark minion p.8 :wink:
bb

asphalt

Post by asphalt » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:58 am

|Highwayman| wrote:(this is a way to tap the same site twice - once you tapped your own copy and discarded it, wait till your opponent takes your character prisoner - then go rescue him using your opponent’s site and tap that one too by playing something there - when you leave the site it'll return to your opponent's location deck)
I'm afraid you can't do that: MEDM rulesbook says
If he has one available, a player must use a site from his own location deck to rescue imprisoned characters. If he does not have the site or if the site is in his discard pile, the copy with the hazard host can be used to show the rescuing company’s movement (if the rescue attempt is successful, the site would remain in play until the company leaves the site). In this case the site is not available for the rescuing player to use for any purpose (other than to rescue prisoners and play one minor item) until the company leaves the site and his play deck is exhausted.
After all it is coherent with the scenario in which your site card for a certain location is in your discard pile or you do not own the site card at all: you should not be able to get there, then you should not be able to do anything or play anything there. Rescuing the prisoner is the only exception.